No more fresh OJ

bdmarine

I don't know if anyway else has mentioned this, but I just got off the Westerdam and they no longer server fresh squeezed orange juice.

I'm also concerned about the way the omelet guy was making omelets. He puts all the stuff on top of the uncooked eggs and then makes an omelet. The way I've seen it done is you cook the omelet, then put in the fillings before folding it over. The HAL cheese omelet, for example, had no gush of cheese when you cut into it since the cheese was cooked in with the eggs.

We were on the 10/15 and 10/22 W'dam trips. We found freshly squeezed OJ the few times we ate in the Lido. But we ate breakfast in the dining room most often and it wasn't fresh there. The last morning it was particularly watery.

Early in the two weeks, the oranges in our room were excellent. The last one we got in our fruit basket was indeed a poor looking little thing. I believe there is a shortage of FL oranges due to the hurricane last year. Perhaps that has some bearing.

We didn't have any omelets in the Lido, but in the dining room, they were seriously overcooked and dry.

The more competitive the pricing for mass marketed cruising, the greater the likelihood that all cruise lines need to compromize the product. How they do this varies from ship to ship. So we got the new beds and out goes the OJ.

Given that a large glass of freshly squeezed OJ can easily run $5 or more in a mid-priced hotel dining room, it seems almost predicatable that it was on the short list of things to be cut.

Too bad there are not enough passengers to fill the HAL ships, willing to pay a premium, to maintain the traditional offerings. At the end of the day, most consumers compare price first and then value. I suspect it bothers HAL as much as its loyal passengers to see some of the changes that are necessary to maintain competitiveness.

The price of oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, etc. and their products are going up. Many orchards have been destroyed over the past 5 years in Florida. Many of them are being sold to developers for subdivisions and strip malls. We sold our vacation house in St. Cloud, FL because of all of the increased development and population and are going to retire to another area.

It's just sad to see some of these outstanding things disappear. I certainly hope this is only a short term loss.

BTW, I don't want to sound too negative. Most of the food actually improved over last year. I was really impressed by some of the new menu items, particularly the osso buco and the lamb dishes.

I'm happy to report that there is indeed fresh squeezed orange juice available in the Lido on the Zaandam (at least as of November 1st, 2006). Also, nobody seemed to care how many glasses you took.

I never did eat breakfast in the Dining Room so can't report on that and the Room Service juice tasted like concentrate.

Valerie:)

I don't know if anyway else has mentioned this, but I just got off the Westerdam and they no longer server fresh squeezed orange juice.

We had fresh-squeezed OJ on the Zaandam early/mid October, 2006. Twas excellent, as always.

I'm also concerned about the way the omelet guy was making omelets. He puts all the stuff on top of the uncooked eggs and then makes an omelet. The way I've seen it done is you cook the omelet, then put in the fillings before folding it over. The HAL cheese omelet, for example, had no gush of cheese when you cut into it since the cheese was cooked in with the eggs.

Hmmmm ... my complaint is that sometimes the ingredients are raw. They're supposed to be sautéed before being added into the egg and cooked a little more. Then, the cheese is to be added just before the fold-over.

Christopher tells me that there are many ways of cooking an omelet; the way many HAL cooks do it is to cook the contents along with the egg, thereby saving a step. According to Julia Child this is the "fast-but-lazy" of doing it.

I have cruised Westerdam March 2005, Noordam March 2006 and Amsterdam Oct 2006. The deal with fresh squeezed O.J. has always been it's available at

the Lido -only during breakfast hours. I have asked for fresh O.J. in the dini

ng room at breakfast and told the same thing, the one time the waiter said yes and assured me it was fresh squeezed it was not.

While we are at it they must have changed the recipe for the delicious bread pudding because it isn't delicious any more.

Not to be a complete complainer I thought food was delicious in the dining room every night except Dutch Night.

Stan:cool::cool:

The June Amsterdam in Europe had fresh squeezed oj in the Lido all of breakfast. The Florida oranges have just become available in the Sarasota/Bradenton area and the Calif. oranges were not in the stores anymore so that may be another reason for less available on the ships out of FL. It should be in ample supply currently. EC

We had fresh-squeezed OJ on the Zaandam early/mid October, 2006. Twas excellent, as always.

Hmmmm ... my complaint is that sometimes the ingredients are raw. They're supposed to be sautéed before being added into the egg and cooked a little more. Then, the cheese is to be added just before the fold-over.

Christopher tells me that there are many ways of cooking an omelet; the way many HAL cooks do it is to cook the contents along with the egg, thereby saving a step. According to Julia Child this is the "fast-but-lazy" of doing it.

I don't actually know how to respond to this other than by saying that I am a graduate of a certain cooking school, and speak very good French, maybe mentioning a blue ribbon (clue) would help?* I am not a food critic, I am simply a cook, albeit a good one thanks to my training. Greg is 100% correct again in that any ingredients should be sauteed beforehand and then added to the not quite cooked omelet, sprinkle cheese of choice over the filling, fold over and let sit for no more than 30 seconds and voila, a perfect omelette not too underdone and certainly not too dry - yuck!

I never order omelets in a restaurant since they are almost always way too dry. I do much better cooking them at home so I always have fun ordering something like eggs over easy, which I still have to master, and a side of sausage or bacon and hash browns.

*Think Cordon Bleu and yes, I was lucky enough to be accepted there, although I'm still not sure why! They must have had an off-year for recruiting students and were really desperate.:D

I was on the Westerdam Oct 22-29, had fresh OJ most mornings in the Lido. I think it was Thurs or Friday tho, that there was no juice on the tray, when I asked he indicated the machine was broken.

So maybe its not that its not available at all anymore, but just not until they fix the OJ machine. I did miss it though.

Bev

......... I am a graduate of a certain cooking school, and speak very good French, maybe mentioning a blue ribbon (clue) would help?* I am not a food critic, I am simply a cook, albeit a good one thanks to my training.

*Think Cordon Bleu and yes, I was lucky enough to be accepted there....:D

You are a Cordon Bleu Chef! Now I am really impressed! Mais c'est merveilleux, c'est fantastique! (That's wonderful, fantastic!) What do you think of HAL's cuisine? I think the food in the main dining room is pretty good.;) Valerie, did you ever think of offering your services as a guest chef for the new HAL culinary arts center??

Karin

Valerie........How have you not shared about your wonderful talent with us before now?

VERY impressive. I'm so happy to hear such amazing news about you. Thank you for finally telling us. :)

Would you share more about your career? You have me so curious now.

Yes eggs should and are one of the quickest courses to prepare.

When on a ship or omlete line observing I do suggest how i would like them made too. Yes even on HAL: I have asked for Garlic and gotten it. This is one of the only C Lines which I have on.

Your training is wonderful and your in a state where the talent is appreciated there as well!

On OJ it is really public knowledge that the crop was horrible in that fruit , so expenses mount and in all establishments they may and probably shall go to a less expensive fruit of choice. Importing more Oranges is increasing with each day now.. even look at the OJ Futures... oops no not that LA and past Buffalo Football Player..

I myself enjoy and appreciate the N. American Native fruit..the Cranberry so very much. Dont you relish the thoughts with T Day coming now ..?*S*:D

If your in La Jolla soon near Torrey Pines, ask my friend Billy place hhis establishment as now been there for years serving many well, also our friend Lou from the CIA he knows well.

On your training overseas did you make it to Bad Durksheim, Germany where they invented Cordon Bleu too? They hold the wine medal fest yearly there.

Nancy has some nice places as well ...

I don't actually know how to respond to this other than by saying that I am a graduate of a certain cooking school, and speak very good French, maybe mentioning a blue ribbon (clue) would help?* I am not a food critic, I am simply a cook, albeit a good one thanks to my training. Greg is 100% correct again in that any ingredients should be sauteed beforehand and then added to the not quite cooked omelet, sprinkle cheese of choice over the filling, fold over and let sit for no more than 30 seconds and voila, a perfect omelette not too underdone and certainly not too dry - yuck!

I never order omelets in a restaurant since they are almost always way too dry. I do much better cooking them at home so I always have fun ordering something like eggs over easy, which I still have to master, and a side of sausage or bacon and hash browns.

*Think Cordon Bleu and yes, I was lucky enough to be accepted there, although I'm still not sure why! They must have had an off-year for recruiting students and were really desperate.:D

We had fresh squeezed OJ on the 10/14 Violendam though we were frowned at when we took more than one glass.......

I've heard that it is available in the dining room for breakfast as well ... but you have to specifically ask for it.

Princess charges extra for fresh squeezed. At least HAL hasn't gone that route yet.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You can ask for it in the dining room but your chances of getting it are nil,nada,zip,zero. Unless your waiter or busboy are willing to run up to the Lido to get it. I had it there on the days we had those really early excursions when you were still sleeping.

Stan:cool::cool:

Hey Karin and Judy,

I thought I made it clear that I am not a chef, I am simply a pretty good cook. I didn't actually do anything useful with my diploma since I decided that I couldn't handle all that temperament in the kitchen. You would not believe the tantrums that go on in there.

It was a fun experience (except for all that yelling - and I came in for a lot of it I'm afraid) and I would do it again just for the experience, but the life of a chef is not for me. I prefer a quieter life.:D

As for the food on the HAL ships, it is generally very good considering how many people they are catering to. I did find the food on the Zaandam this past cruise pretty disappointing in the main Dining Room but the Lido did a very good job with the veal the one night I ate dinner there.

Thank you for your answer Maam.

You can always go back as it is a yearly event. At least not like the Ten Year spread with the Passion Play in S. Germany. What wonderful crftspeople are there too.

When there is a nice ICE wine is sometimes the best time to go to Bad Durksheim as well. That way tasting the different vineyards ...

A good Auslese is always nice..

And all those little plastic hammers....lol *S*

AAAAmerican:

I am sorry, I forgot to address your question about Bad Durksheim. No, I'm sorry to say I never got there although I did get to Germany a couple of times.

On the NCL they charge for most everything even Apple Juice..:mad: .. look at there so called Taxes, Port Charges and (so called ) FEEs too.. I see so much of a discrepency even ships go into the same Ports of Call...

But alas thats another worry for Cruisers... being aware of the charges...

On HAL's ms Noordam IV having the Fresh Squeezed OJ is wonderful and so much like its Home Port New York Cities breakfast nooks... even only HAL can make good Cheese Cake with Cream Cheese and not flour now...

With the price of Oranges skyrocketing now with such a poor crop in the Sunshine and Chloridane State of Florida the imports of S American Oranges has to take up the slack and the consumer pays this too...

We usually do dine in the formal dining room on ships but on the ms Noordam IV we like the fresh OJ and fruit compote with the Dutch Waffles...

We did like Princess but with extra charges since the joining with CCL:NYSE it is well not as well...not water that is...*S*

I've heard that it is available in the dining room for breakfast as well ... but you have to specifically ask for it.

Princess charges extra for fresh squeezed. At least HAL hasn't gone that route yet.

Blue skies ...

--rita

oranges_105x79.jpg.9d83532951f4371fcd8a37d80eee2217.jpg

Archived