QM2 POD replaced?

highcbob

She goes in 11/11 for 7 days to have it put back on

She will also come out four metres wider.

The bridge wings are being extended 2 metres each side to improve sight lines along the hull. The lifeboats overhand the side and onstruct the view from the bridge.

The new extensions will be enclosed and not open wings.

Stephen

She will also come out four metres wider.

The bridge wings are being extended 2 metres each side to improve sight lines along the hull. The lifeboats overhand the side and onstruct the view from the bridge.

The new extensions will be enclosed and not open wings.

Stephen

i thought they had video cameras for the bridge to view both hull sides bow and stern??????

I was not aware of the bridge extensions. Does anyone know of any other upgrades or additions to the QM2 while in drydock? It sounds like Cunard has really thought this out to take advantage of the downtime as the perfect chance to make some upgrades.

According to Seatrade Insider, QM2 will enter Blohm + Voss shipyard on Sunday to receive a replacement pod that was damaged and removed last May.

In addition, new sprinklers will be installed on all balconies and the bridge wings will be extended by 2 meters.

QM2 will be in the yard for a week, departing on November 17.

Ernie

So if the bridge wings aren't long enough, then why has it taken so long to deal with them?

What's wrong with open wings? Much nicer on a sunny day!

Firstly because it has taken a considerable amount of operational feedback to identify the problem and secondly, this is the first drydock period during which the work could be done.

Open wings are a 'no no' in these days of sensitive electronics. Back in the 80's Ted Arison asked all the masters in Carnival if they wanted open wings or closed wings. Yo a man they said they wanted open wings. Who wouldn't! He thought about the problem and concluded that with all the money being spent on expensive electronics he wasn't going to put it outside in the rain!

Stephen

He thought about the problem and concluded that with all the money being spent on expensive electronics he wasn't going to put it outside in the rain!

I think TROPICALE must have been one of the first cruise ships - maybe the first - with enclosed bridge wings.

Most other lines built them with open wings right into the '90s.

The newest major ship I can think of with open bridge wings is SEVEN SEAS VOYAGER (2003).

Recently CENTURY had her bridge wings added on to - unlike QM2, the new ones are open, even though the ship originally had enclosed ones.

Firstly because it has taken a considerable amount of operational feedback to identify the problem and secondly, this is the first drydock period during which the work could be done.

Open wings are a 'no no' in these days of sensitive electronics. Back in the 80's Ted Arison asked all the masters in Carnival if they wanted open wings or closed wings. Yo a man they said they wanted open wings. Who wouldn't! He thought about the problem and concluded that with all the money being spent on expensive electronics he wasn't going to put it outside in the rain!

Stephen

I'd have thought if they couldn't see properly, they'd have found that out at the sea trials. But then, what do I know?

More seriously, there really is something so much nicer about open wings - and electronics can be made weatherproof after all.

A closed bridge wing seems somehow distant...

I'd have thought if they couldn't see properly, they'd have found that out at the sea trials. But then, what do I know?

More seriously, there really is something so much nicer about open wings - and electronics can be made weatherproof after all.

A closed bridge wing seems somehow distant...

They would not have noticed it on the sea trials but probably did when she came back in to dock! At that stage there was no way the shipyard was about to start cutting up the bridge wings to add new pieces.

I sailed on a tanker ... about 100,000 dwt that had a small bridge superstructure. The wings were open but were set back about 20 ft from the ship's side. When coming alongside it was impossible to tell when the side of the ship was close to the dock. It always meant sending a cadet down onto the maindeck to keep the bridge advised of distances. On another VLCC.... 260,000 dwt.... (150,000 grt)... dimensions a bit bigger than QM2... out bridge wings were open. From the wheelhouse door to the ship's side was about 90 feet. The wings were narrow walkways... about 6 ft wide without windscoops on the fore side. We found out that when at sea in any kind of wind one could easily get blown overboard and when rolling the arc of travel was so great that it was too dangerous to go outside. When the sistership was built they eliminated the wings altogether.

Yes, electronics can be made waterproof but at a cost and the type of control equipment on these ships is just vulnerable to moisture and temperature change.

I agree completely.. enclosed bridgewings are dreadful. No sun and salt air!

Stephen

I had the oppurtunity to visit the Disney Magic command and control room. While there, the engineers showed me their big book of wishes for the next generation of Disney ships. Top of the list? Enclosed bridge wings. Apparently the open wings have alot of repairs to the electronics and they cause issues of safety to the ship when docking in bad weather. (Interestingly enought the other issue that they want resolved is that the current class of ship is to heavy in the rear, and the engineers are always working to keep the bow in the water.)

I had the oppurtunity to visit the Disney Magic.... (Interestingly enought the other issue that they want resolved is that the current class of ship is to heavy in the rear, and the engineers are always working to keep the bow in the water.)

Stern heavy ships are unfortunately common. CANBERRA and the Shaw Savill sister SOUTHERN CROSS and NORTHERN STAR all had trimming problems but they were 'machinery aft' type vessels not midships like the Disney ships.

I wonder if we ever will see aanother pair of Disney ships? I doubt it somehow.

Stephen

Hello to all,

last information is that the QM2 will be in Hamburg on November, 12th, 08:00 pm. Then the docking-procedure will begin immedately and she will be in the drydock at 10:00 pm. I will go there to look at her and do some photos. Unfortunately it will be dark and the weather will be bad.

The weatherforcast predicts stormy weather. Maybe it will be too stormy for the queen. I remember having heared 2 years ago that the queen could not sail into river Elbe if the windforce is stronger than level 7. The weatherforcast stated level 10.

The QM2 should leave Hamburg on Friday November 17th at 02:00 am. I don't think that I will be able to watch her, because it will be too early and I have to work next day.

I will keep you informed about the Queen Mary 2

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Archived