Need some advise on Hawaii cruise fr. San Diego

7x5090g

Hi: I wanted to plan a Hawaiian cruise on board the Zaandam that leaves San Diego and have the following questions:

1. How rough can the open waters of the Pacific get? I don't want to be stuck on a boat for 8 days back and forth in rough seas. I am okay with 30 foot seas but I am not sure if I can take 70 foot ones 4 days in a roll.
  2. What is the calmest time of the year to take this cruise?

Your advices are much appreciated. ;)

There's no way to predict, of course, how it would be on your cruise, but I have never found the Pacific "rough". It moves---it's water! Water moves. But never all that bad.

On my first cruise to Hawaii the first day out was kind of rough seas (don't remember the height of the waves), but that was the only day I remember it like that. This last cruise in October was so smooth I had to wonder if we were on water.

The Pacific is large and deep, so the water tends more toward long, rolling swells than the Atlantic does.

70' seas for four days? Doubt it very much. If you're ok with 30' seas this should be a cakewalk for you.

Ditto what Ruth says.

The pacific is known most especially for its swells. The seas can be slight or even just moderate but the swells can be rather strong. However, not always. This past October was incredibly smooth. Waters were classified as "rough" only ONE day out of the 15 on the cruise, but NO days were they "High." Most of the rest of the time we were experiencing "slight" or "moderate" waves and "light" to "moderate" swells. The biggest problem was the wind ... near-gail force, one night.

Nothing like the North Atlantic in a storm!!!! :D

Andy,my DH and I sailed to Hawaii in February of this year on board the Amsterdam.I ditto Ruth C and Rev Neal.We did not experience any rough seas,mainly "wavelets".What was different was air temperature,it was a "little cool" on the aft Lido,don't remember exactly,but around18C,during the day on sea days,a light jacket was in order.

It was our most enjoyable cruise ever and may repeat it in a couple of years.Hope this helps.

And yes "GO LEAFS GO"...sorry could not resist!

Mary.

On our Hawaii cruise it was quite rough the first 2-3 days out of San Diego, then not bad for the remainder. A number of people seemed to just hunker down in their cabins and were not seen for several days. Neither my wife or I got motion sickness, but others did. If you can do 30 footers, no sweat!

Gary

I did a 14 night X cruise from SD to Hawaii in Oct 2005, and while I won't say conditions were rough, we experienced a lot of motion. Water was regularly sloshing out of the pools, flooding the pool deck. There were times when walking in the buffet with a tray or using a piece of gym equipment was quite challenging. The weather was also very cool - not inclement - just chilly.

Andy,my DH and I sailed to Hawaii in February of this year on board the Amsterdam.I ditto Ruth C and Rev Neal.We did not experience any rough seas,mainly "wavelets".What was different was air temperature,it was a "little cool" on the aft Lido,don't remember exactly,but around18C,during the day on sea days,a light jacket was in order.

It was our most enjoyable cruise ever and may repeat it in a couple of years.Hope this helps.

And yes "GO LEAFS GO"...sorry could not resist!

Mary.

Hi Mary: Did you sail out of San Diego?

On our Hawaii cruise it was quite rough the first 2-3 days out of San Diego, then not bad for the remainder. A number of people seemed to just hunker down in their cabins and were not seen for several days. Neither my wife or I got motion sickness, but others did. If you can do 30 footers, no sweat!

Gary

It's not me that I have to worry. It's been nagging after nagging by me to get my DW (who is extremely prone to motion sickness) to agree to take a cruise to Hawaii from the west coast. She finally agreed to sailing out of NYC (to test the water) so it was our first time out on real open waters. The sea was smooth as glass until the last day. We were on the Noordam and on the way back to NYC, we hit 30' waves and the sea was like that for 24 hours. She was fine after popping a few rounds of Gravol. My only symptom was that I just could not stop eating...lol

We were chatting with our head steward, who said that that was nothing compared to the open waters of, e.g. a trans Atlantic or a trans-Pacific cruise. That was all my wife had to hear and every time I brought up Hawaii the response was (just thinking about it makes me want to throw up) .:eek:

Still trying....

... The seas can be slight or even just moderate but the swells can be rather strong...

Sorry for being ignorant. Not exactly sure what that means. How will someone (my DW) who is prone to motion sickess feel in strong swells compared to rough seas?

Don't know if this will help but we just got back from a Sea of Cortez cruise aboard the Zaandam. We cruised with Hurricane Paul !!!! I tend to get motion sickness to. I learned a few cruises ago about Ginger. I got some Ginger tabs at the Health Food store and started taking them the day before we left. Took one with breakfast and one with dinner. We did get some pretty good swells one night (7 to 10 feet) There were several people walking around who didn't feel to good. But knock on wood by tabs did the job. We are now booked on a San Diego to Hawaii cruise on the Summitt in March. I've heard it depends where your cabin is located also as to how much you feel the motion.

Yes, cabin location can make a BIG difference. You want to be as close to the center of the ship as you can ... so, midships, on a lower deck. I'd also suggest at least an outside room, if not a balcony (for the fresh air) so you can see out. You want to look at the horizon, not at the waves or the water close to you. Eat lightly, and eat lots of "dry" foods, like pretzels and saltines. I grew up sailing on Lake Erie, and learned all this at a VERY young age.:cool:

Andy,yes we sailed out of San Diego,it is a beautiful area ,(IMO) .We usually extend our vacation by a couple of days before or after our cruise to enjoy the beach at Coronado.

Good Luck in your Hawaii cruise planning.

Next Cruise-Panama Canal Sunfarer-ms Volendam 22 January 2007

Mary

Archived