Culinary Arts Center

Djptcp

DH and I are sailing on the Zuiderdam in December and wondered if anyone has experienced the Culinary Arts Center? Is there something going on every day in the Center, or just once or twice a cruise? I can't seem to find out much about this new program other than HAL spent $10 million on it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

The Culinary Arts Center was one of the highlights of our recent 15 day Hawaii cruise on the ms Zaandam. I attended several of the demonstrations and DW attended all of them. I believe there were five or six total. They played to standing room only audiences in the Wajang theater, lasted about an hour, and were very well put together. DW also attrended one of the four sessions where you participate in the preparation of an entire meal. There were eight participants and they prepared a French meal. The session lasted about two hours and it cost $29 to participate. The Pinnacle chef ran the session and DW really enjoyed it. In addition you got recipes, an apron, and a goofy chef's hat to keep!:D

Thanks so much for the info. We will be sure to look closely for details after we board the ship on December 16th. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

On the Rotterdam in Europe there were two open sessions of the Culinary Arts on our sea days. I thought that the dishes that they cooked were pretty basic - a bruschetta and the volcano cake the first day... don't remember what the second one was. I'm a pretty good cook, not professional by any means but I didn't learn anything new.

The third session was while we were going through the Dardenelles so I didn't sign up. The scenery and history were too important to miss.

In the Caribbean where there isn't much to see on sea days it might be another matter.

cheers

Was there a culinary program on the Mexican Riviera Oosterdam cruise?

Yes, CruisinNana, there should be a culinary program on every HAL cruise; it's part of their new "Signature of Excellence" improvements. Here is info about the program from the HAL website. Check with the front desk when you board for specifics for your cruise.

Karin

Yes, CruisinNana, there should be a culinary program on every HAL cruise; it's part of their new "Signature of Excellence" improvements. Here is info about the program from the HAL website. Check with the front desk when you board for specifics for your cruise.

Karin

Thanks, Karin. I was hoping that someone who has just returned from this cruise would confirm. I definitely want to take the class if available.

The CAC looks really interesting. My DH is always disappointed when lines offer cooking demos, but don't have any actual lessons you can partake in. $29 seems reasonable given what you are learning and the take aways that you get. Anyone know if they offer a variety of classes? 8 participants seems really small (but ideal actually), I'm curious why no one else wanted to go - perhaps the lack of advertising?

I think the reason only eight showed up was indeed the lack of advertising. However, the small class size makes it much better.

They do indeed have a variety of different classes. DW was on the French cuisine and the other three were all different, but I can't remember what they were:rolleyes: .

I was just on the Maasdam and my husband and I did the $29 cooking class (we had 12 participants) We signed up at the front desk on the first day and they still didn't know when we'd meet or what we'd be cooking--we didn't care, just wanted to do it. At our course (which was the 2nd sea day of our cruise--we rec'd notification the evening before) the chef told us there was another class later in the week (it was already sold out--some people in our class were signed up for it as well--guess when the first class sold out they opened a second class) The second class had a different menu. The chef also told us if enough people went to the front office to sign up for a class, and they could fit us into the room schedule, they might be able to offer a 3rd class--in pastries. I don't know if that ever happened, since I didn't go back and try to sign up. The lesson I learned is that HAL is very accommodating--if the demand is there and they can meet it (by having a chef and the room available) they will offer more classes. Good luck!

Just off the Noordam. Three cooking demonstrations offered. No cooking classes offered on Caribbean cruises on the Noordam. The demos were done by Pinnacle Chef Robert and CD Drew. They were mildly entertaining and not too informative for me. We were disappointed there were no hands on classes offered.

On our 10/28 Zuiderdam cruise, I went to the culinary demo held on our first sea day, which was posted in the daily program. It was great-- the Queen's Lounge stage had a full kitchen set up, and it felt like I was at an Emeril taping or something! They recruited a woman from the audience to "help," which was fun too. I never saw anything else posted about the culinary program, but our tablemates signed up for the class and just loved it. So checking at the desk early on in the cruise is definitely a good idea.

Archived