Eurodam??? Not a catchy name!

DamTxCruiser

From the Press release, now on HAL's website:

(Click Here For All Of It)

I'm sorry, I just find it fake and artificial. I wonder what the Dutch think about the name?

I think you hit the nail on the head with "artificial". I think that annoys me as much as its lack of tradition. Completely made up name.

Although, as a practical matter, as long as I continue to cruise in the years ahead I will probably end up on one of this new class of ship. I hope I like its layout.:) I am hoping they have a more open feel than the Vista class.

The Maiden Voyage of the Noordam was wonderful. The ship was, actually, finished -- except for some relatively "minor" adjustments. Of course, they had the crossing before the Maiden cruise to do a lot of training and to get things really "ship shape and Bristol fashioned." Unfortunately, they won't have such a crossing prior to the Maiden Voyage of the E-dam in order to get her ready, so I find myself wondering if she will be as well-readied as was the Noordam.

The Noordam was not booked solid for her maiden voyage.

She'll at least have the trip from Fincantieri at Monfalcone to Rotterdam - That'll take at least as long as a five day Atlantic crossing

tab_map_monfalcone.gif

I really cannot believe the name Eurodam is for real, it sounds like a joke, made by someone without a sense of humor or fantasy!!!

Fact is there are still a a lot of europeans not that happy with the Euro, that name...pronounced in a little different way...sounds again like a joke.

There are that many beautiful old cities in NL and in HAL's history with their names ending on dam the choice was wide enough.

By comparison, I'm not so excited about the Maiden Voyage itinerary

It's a very odd itinerary for a Baltic cruise. One day in St. Petersburg?!

Now, I have already been to St. Petersburg so this would not bother me so much but if one is going there for the first time one really must have an overnight.

I would like to go to Hamburg and Gdansk neither of which I have ever been to (but who knows, perhaps I will have by the time summer 2008 rolls around).

Last year I was booked on a CENTURY cruise that was original a "normal" Baltic itinerary but later was re-scheduled to have only one day in St. Petersburg. We promptly cancelled and re-booked on ROTTERDAM... A little more expensive but worth it!

The maiden voyage would be fun though. I think that's one you do more for the experience of it than anything.

In my case it certainly would be - were I looking for another Baltic cruise (which I'm not - I love that area but there are so many other places to go before I return there) I would not choose that itinerary.

But a maiden voyage would be fun so I would consider doing it on that count.

On the other hand, that transatlantic does look fantastic!

Recognizing that sea-state and weather is always a crapshoot, the roughest trans-Atlantic we have been on (out of 6) was a late August 02 crossing, on Golden Princess.

I have a habit of encountering bad weather where it normally shouldn't be! e.g. One of the biggest storms I've been in was in the Caribbean in February - about as far from hurricane season as one can get!

On the other hand this past January crossing the Atlantic it was warm and mostly sunny and flat. We had one night of reasonably "lively" weather (not a real storm, just enough to make one hold on to the handrails and have them close the deadlights on the Five Deck portholes) but that was it.

It looks like I will have to sit out this year's January QE2 crossing (:( ) but I do hope to do the 2008 Tandem with QUEEN VICTORIA (aboard QE2 of course, not "that new thing" ;) ) so maybe I will be "lucky" and hit some bad weather then!

It would be interesting to see how a Vista-class ship is in bad weather... I suspect like most new ships, probably neither notably bad nor notably good. QE2 is still the best-riding ship out there IMHO...

I really cannot believe the name Eurodam is for real, it sounds like a joke, made by someone without a sense of humor or fantasy!!!

Fact is there are still a a lot of europeans not that happy with the Euro, that name...pronounced in a little different way...sounds again like a joke.

There are that many beautiful old cities in NL and in HAL's history with their names ending on dam the choice was wide enough.

Goeie avond Ine, rustig aan, he!:)

I'm sorry, I just find it fake and artificial. I wonder what the Dutch think about the name?

There's your answer from one of them, Rev

Doug,

I REALLY enjoyed the Maiden Voyage of the Noordam. It, in and of itself, really was an "experience." It wasn't just all the other CCers I met aboard -- and that WAS great -- it was also the sense of being at the beginning of something special. And, the crew were fantastic, with the attention to detail being amazing. Yes, there were problems ... but they were address QUICKLY.

She'll at least have the trip from Fincantieri at Monfalcone to Rotterdam - That'll take at least as long as a five day Atlantic crossing

tab_map_monfalcone.gif

...except that all HAL newbuilds since Veendam are from the Fincantieri yard in Marghera (Venice).

Princess and Carnival newbuilds come from Monfalcone (across the Gulf from Trieste).

I don't like the name EURODAM either even if the EUROMAST is a symbol of the city of Rotterdam, the original home of HAL. I wouldn't have wanted her called EDAM - too "cheesy" for me, nor LEERDAM - again, the image of a leering old timer. But neither is as bad as the obvious nickname this babe will have - URINEDAM...which might fit along with the PRIDONDAM, SATANDAM and MAD SAM...

I don't like the name EURODAM either even if the EUROMAST is a symbol of the city of Rotterdam, the original home of HAL. I wouldn't have wanted her called EDAM - too "cheesy" for me, nor LEERDAM - again, the image of a leering old timer. But neither is as bad as the obvious nickname this babe will have - URINEDAM...then again fit along with the nickanmes PRISONDAM, ROTTENDAM. SATANDAM and MAD SAM...

...except that all HAL newbuilds since Veendam are from the Fincantieri yard in Marghera (Venice).

Princess and Carnival newbuilds come from Monfalcone (across the Gulf from Trieste).

Thanks for setting me straight, dude!;) But she will still have about the same distance to get to Rotterdam to work out some of the early kinks

Welkom Willem; did you know they named a ship after you?

Archived