May We Have A Fred Olsen Forum?

Guest Anorak33

Guest Anorak33

Merecat, which ship were you on please?

Poor food and service doesn't sound like any of the FO ships I have travelled on, what was so bad about it?

Was the cabin service poor? Or the dining room service?

Did you take it up with the Hotel Manager on the ship at the time? Or the Captain?

Can't do much about the dreadful seas, its the time of year and the itinerary, maybe you could have gone round the weather but then missed even more ports and been even later. Its often a compromise.

Did you get a credit for the missed port taxes etc?

Did FO sort out your flights when you were 7 hours late arriving?

Anything else worth mentioning?

Its only fair to give bit more detail, Thanks

No I won,t elaborate on the short comeings of the cruise, the cabins are still being refurbished, the food was "like the curates egg" good in parts, the waiters were unknowledgable about most dishes and weren,t particulary interested anyway .No credit offered for missed ports.

I have also sailed on other FO ships and although I found Boudicca the most comfortable and stable of the line,many things need to be addressed .

On this cruise they certainly lost a fair few customers.I was on my third cabin when I left the ship.The Captain waiter was hopeing to be demoted because he was fed up with the flack. :( Merecat

Guest Anorak33

Have you written to FO with a list of your complaints? I have found them more helpful than other bigger lines when customers write in with real valid detailed complaints.

You should at least get back your port fees, they can't deny you that, and I would expect a bit more than that from what you say was not good.

Worth a try.

If anyone else was on Boudicca on this cruise then please post a few details.

Hi Merecat

Sorry to hear that your cruise didn't come up to expectations. All I can say is that the only thing we could fault FO on was the entertainment. Food, service, cabin and cabin stewardess were all fine. Hope you have a better cruise next time, whoever you sail with.

It would be interesting to hear from Mamabella. Where are you Mamabelle?

Happy Christmas everyone.

As the other lines build larger cruise ships, the Olsen ships are to be treasured and deserve their own forum. Have enjoyed Black Watch with Fred Olsen himself questioning one of the lecturers. Also Braemar in the Baltic, small enough to moor in the heart of St Petersburg at Merchant Quay.

Long serving crew seem devoted to the Line and Norwegian officers are excellent.

Here's another vote, I am trying FO for the first time on a short break in May,onboard Braemar, includes Guernsey and Amsterdam. Personally like the smaller boats so just up my street.

Hi Middy,

You'll enjoy it:) Staff very nice & passengers friendly. My family loves it.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with everything so far - everything is very good on FO except the entertainment needs to be geared for people under 80 years of age! We are about to go on our third trip on Braemar on 1 Feb - is anyone else from this forum going to be on board??!

Hi all, sorry it has taken me so long to report back from my trip on Boudicca. Christmas interfered! I also wanted a little time to pass so that perhaps I could look at the cruise in a better light but alas, time passing hasn't improved my memory!

Yes, I can attest to the foul weather that Merecat reported. Pretty grim and just our bad luck. I did find it strange that the Force 12 gale wasn't reported in the Captain's Log which we all received! Nor was any mention made of the missing ports of call. The reason given for missing Gambia stretched my imagination to the limit and I felt so sorry for the poor people on board who were on this cruise to deliver Christmas presents to their son who lives in Gambia. What a groan went up around the ship when it was announced and there were a lot of angry people about. The same happened when the captain announced that we wouldn't dock in Arrecife because of the weather - especially strange since we could see other ships sailing in to the port!

I agree with Merecat about the food but for the most part it was reasonably appetising. I did find it strange to have a mixture of buffet and waiter service in the dining room but I believe this is fairly standard on Olsen ships.

My biggest bugbear of the trip was the state of my cabin! I have never before experienced such grubbiness on a ship! This wasn't just wear and tear, it was grubbiness! (Before you ask, the photographs are on their way to Olsen) The other thing I found strange was the ultra narrowness of the beds! More suited for children I would say. The general interior decor of the ship was very bland except for the psychedelic carpets which were pretty grim!

Luckily, I met some lovely people (including Merecat) so it wasn't a total loss.

In conclusion, I won't rush to book another Olsen cruise!

Guest Anorak33

I have to agree about the strange mix of waiter service and buffet in the dining room, they have it on Braemar as well, don't know about the others. Although it is weird to begin with I got to like it as there was usually a nice fish starter or two on the buffet and a decent selection of desserts.

Bad news about the grubby cabin, no excuse for that with the cleaning sprays they have these days.

I do hope you get a good response from FO, please let us know on here if and when you do.

Just booked on 28th July 2007 7nts Leith/Norway, got a great price, guess this sailing is not booking so well, so watch out for some more great deals.

Wanted to try FO so this itinerary was ideal for us as not explored this area yet. Usually sail on mcuh larger ships so this little lady is only a baby.

Looking forward to our Xmas and New Year 2007 on the RCI Explorer:D

Happy Sailing!!

• 5 weeks later...

yes i too hope we et a fred olsen board too, a couple ofr years ago i went on the black prince. i boarded the coach only to be told that the ship had not arrived yet. the ship had engine trouble on the way from lisbon and had to return. we were taken to a hotel where we had a lovely dinner. we were told the ship would get in around 10pm. boarded very quickly and found my cabin AN INSIDE THAT ACTUALLY HAD A PORTHOLE that would be blocked after leaving port. we left at midnight it was fairly calm at 1st. the next day we were having rough seas andf the ship to be very unstable it was quiete frightening. the were leaks in some of the cabins are a bucket was visible. announcements were not done to art least put our mind at ease. in fact they hadf the welcolme aboard party at this time and people had to guided into a seat. the party should have been cancelled. at dinner in the smaller restaurant was attended only by a handful and most left after a short while. as we had left late we arrived in cobh the next day instead of the day before.

had a good day there doing the titanic walking tour. we left cobh and was told the seas would be much calmer which they were. the next day we should have ben going to jersey but the seas were too rough so instead we went to cherbourg instead. it did not put me off fred olsen or cruiseing thankfully.

i also did the BLACK WATCH on a mini cruise the opnly thing not good was i went on excursion to euro disney we were told where and when to meet the coach to come back. but i'm sure it was the right place but there was no coach to be seen, there were loads of coaches there. after 50 mins or so i decided that there was no coach and caught a train to paris, metro and then found out it was a 2 hour wait till a train to where the ship was would come. when i got to the station it wads raining, finally got a taxi but the driver had no idea where the ship was, i bgot there well after midninght. thankfully we were staying overnight and the gangway was still down. i did complain and despite saying that the coach went round looking for me i got a small sum of moey for the inconvenience.

apart from these things i love fred olsen, the food and entertainment are great.my 1st cruise ever was on the CROWN DYNASTY to alaska. iam going on her as the BRAEMAR in august 4th this year from leith to newcastle via bergen with a friend who has not been on a ship before. anyone been on th braemar before and can give me idea of what they thought of the ship. on my 1st cruise i noticd that she was quite unstable but have been told she is better now.

dave

We've been on the Braemar 3 times. It is hard to comment because everyone has different criteria, but we love the Braemar because everyone is so friendly, it has a very happy atmosphere on board, the decking layout at the back (sorry, can't be more nautical in my description!) is great for eating out in the sunshine, and, because it is small it can get to some really interesting places. Just returned from the Orinoco - Braemar's first time up the river. It was FABULOUS!

Oh ... food is really good, too.

Great idea. Our first cruise was on Black Watch and, despite having cruised with P&O three times since, our trips on The Watch are fondly remembered. They were equally as enjoyable as any with P&O [and better than one on Aurora].

The food was excellent, the staff friendly and efficient and the ship, while smaller and older than the P&O ships, was very comfortable.

Just sent an e-mail to the board moderators asking for a separate Olsen board. Anyone else prepared to write too?

Yes, certainly--I for one will be happy to e-mail them with this request.

Being very stupid and blonde can you tell me how to do that, please?:confused:

Once upon a time I too was blond, but am now rather grey--& only a little bit wiser than when I was blond.;) I too look forward to Goteborg's instructions on how to contact the moderators.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read the article on the front page of CC about the Seatrade Show in Miami. Fred Olsen was specifically mentioned as coming to Miami in 2008.

DH and I are long time cruisers and hate the recent trend in huge ships, lots of children on board (although we did cruise with our daughter when she was young), and nickel and diming one to death on food, drinks, and activities.

I looked at the Fred Olsen Cruise website and would be interested in the Balmoral cruise in 2008.

I am also in favor of a Fred Olsen forum.

Hi Folks

Apologies for not responding sooner - v busy and also been away on a short break [but sadly not a cruise].

I emailed community@cruisecritic.com which was the only link I could find. No reply though. I have a feeling that this is a non-starter.

It worked! I just noticed that there is now a separate Fred. Olsen forum, listed under Cruise Lines "A-O" on the main Cruise Critic message boards page.Many thanks to Goteborg and to all who have posted in this thread asking for a dedicated Fred. Olsen forum. And thanks also to the people who run Cruise Critic for responding so positively to our request.:)

Archived