Will I need earplugs?

vpoopsy

I don't remember ever hearing our neighbors on any HAL cruise. Hallway noise or heavy footsteps from above when we've been under the Lido deck but nothing from next door. We've found HAL ships to be very quiet for the most part. :)

I agree with Randy. The only time I heard neighbors was when everyone is packing and the drawers were getting slammed.

Once in a while you can hear the crew speaking to each other in the halls, but I never recall hearing that at night, just during the day.

I on the other hand ALWAYS travel with earplugs. Little noises sometimes bother me, so I prefer to have them. Earplugs do not take up much room in you luggage, and it is better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

they are always good to have along and sleeping the first night from home is always a trial for me. I, too, hear the little things. But I have never had a problem with noise at night in the halls or walls on a DAM ship. Worst cruise I had was RC out of San Juan with young Puerto Ricans running around playing hide and seek at 3 a.m. They said it was part of their culture to party all nite! Love the DAM ships

I on the other hand ALWAYS travel with earplugs. Little noises sometimes bother me, so I prefer to have them. Earplugs do not take up much room in you luggage, and it is better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

I agree completely. My husband's a snorer so I sleep with them at home a lot too. I never travel without them.

I was on the Odam last month and was quite surprised at how quiet our cabin was. I could hear the TV next door if I was right next to the wall. Also, the walls are metal, so we used magnets to post the Daily Program.

We have always found the cabins to be very well sound insulated. The only time we had an "issue" was the time (never again) we were directly under the area just forward of the lido pool. Every morning the steward was scooting chairs and tables all around to get them arranged for the day. He never picked one up to move it ... just scooted it for what seemed like 20 yards apiece!

It will all depend upon your cabin/location. I'm not a light sleeper, but probably 'normal' (never been anyone else, so it's hard to say ;) ). Years ago we had an inside on the Maasdam, A/Dolphin deck. On the deck plans the area to the back was blank. I have NO idea what was going on back there (on the other side of the wall from the head of our bed), but it was BUSY at night. It sounded like metal containers were wheeled (or on cables) around a LOT. There were also announcements made back there over a PA system. That first night it scared the %&*# out of me being awakened in the middle of the night hearing the PA system - NOT something that usually happens when things are going well. I couldn't hear what was being said, but NO problem hearing that there was an announcement. I was awakened all 10 nights (sometimes several times), but it didn't scare me after realizing that in a real emergency, the PA in the cabin would go on. DH never woke up, but he doesn't even wake up when a phone rings next to his pillow.

Some of our tablemates on that cruise were on the Lower Promanade, they heard the deck chairs being moved out there when the deck was hosed off for cleaning in the EARLY a.m. and they were below a part the galley where apparently the bread was prepared - starting about 3 a.m.

No problems since then as I VERY carefully select our cabins and say 'no upgrades'.

Depending on your cabin location, you may have a lot of noise. I was 1 deck below the pool on 2 cruises (never again if I can help it!) and could definitely hear chairs being dragged around the deck at all hours.

Another time we were on the lowest deck (first cruise) and could hear lots of noise while docking in the very early AM.

I can always hear people talking in the halls and doors slamming - both cabin doors and those for the steward service areas. Heard carts in the halls - especially the last night when they were picking up the luggage. But also heard room service carts, vacuums, etc.

No reason not to bring a few pairs of ear plugs. As someone else already pointed out, they easy to pack!:) :)

Archived