Iguazu Falls - Do We Need A Guide For The Brazilian Side?

Dbedros

We will be going to Iguazu Falls from Buenos Aires in December after arriving at the end of our cruise on Oceania's Insignia. We will be staying at the Sheraton overnight. We thought that we would see the Brazilian side the day of arrival (around 1:00 PM) and tour the Argentina side the morning of our departure. All descriptions indicate that seeing the Argentina side from the Sheraton is a matter of walking a short ways to begin. No one ever talks about the Brazilian side other than to say that you have panoraminc views.

For those of you that have done this, your insight would be helpful. The TA's are offering guides but they are expensive for a few hours and I would like to avoid this cost if doing it on our own is not too complacated. Thanks in advance for all replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I am concerned that u are not giving enough consideration to to the opportunities on the Argentine side. We were there five years ago but found it took a lot more time on the Argentine side and it was well worth the investment. As it is a while since we were there and things change, I would recommend digging a little deeper to confirm.

Have a great time...for us it was awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at the Iguazu Falls in January this year. We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel for 2 nights with a Falls View Room - unbelievable.

We arrived around 5pm on the first day so couldn't do any touring. The next morning we did the Argentinian side with its 3 lots of paths. It is very extensive and took us a good few hours. We were with a guide and I am glad that was so, as you do have to get on a small train for one of the walks. It would be hard without a guide. By the way, it is very hot and humid, so wear very light clothes and take lots of water.

In the afternoon our guide took us to the Brazilian side. This is just one walk and can easily be done on your own.

The falls are fantastic. We were lucky as it had rained a few days earlier and there was a lot of water coming over.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie for answering my question.

Our Argentinian Agent sent us a map and information sheet to use for their side and it looks to be easy as we will also be staying at the Sheraton.

We had nothing on the Brazillian side and I did not want to spend more on a guide if it was not necessary. I really wanted to see both sides and you have assured me that we can do this on our own. Also thanks for the tip about clothing and water.

One other thing, the guide taking us to the Brazilian side and return was a great help as we had to go through the checkpoint for Immigration twice. Because he was well known, we did get through quickly whereas there were huge lines of cars in both directions.

Also returning to Argentina, one has to leave the car or bus at the checkpoint and put your feet through a wash as Argentina is very strict about what comes back on one's feet, due to the fact that it is a beef raising country.

I presume you have a Brazilian visa which is quite costly othewise you will not be allowed across the border. Our cruise started from Rio so we had our visas. The worst thing was we returned to Brazil in October as we did a cruise up the Amazon, and we again had to get new visas. The visas for Australia are only good for 30 days at a cost of $100 each time. A great way for the Brazilians to make money!

Jennie

If you do organise to go to the Brazilian Side try and include a trip to their Bird Park which is just outside the falls

Its truly superb with a plethora of Jungle and South American Birds

While we werejust standing looking at the Brazilian Falls a Toucan flew straight past my nose .......AWESOME

IGUAZZU Falls is a MUST SEE

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Iguazu twice and both times I went to the Argentine and Brazilian side. The first time I went to the Brazilian side, I DID NOT have a visa. I went with a group of friends with a tour company set up with the Sheraton. They were able to get us across the border and back on some kind of "day pass." We did have to have our passports and had to get out and wipe our feet on some kind of pad b/c of Foot and Mouth Disease. But it was all pretty simple. We had a cab driver for almost 5 hours who took up to the falls and dropped us off, then to the bird park and then to the shopping area on the way back to Argentina all for $20US per person.

The second time, I did have a visa, so no issue there.

If you have a the time, please go to the Brazilian side. It's soooooo beautiful. You will take some of the most beautiful pictures and have great pics to compare from both sides. I have tons from both trips to share if anyone's interested.

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful responses.

Our agent used LAN for our flights. We arrived in BA from the cruise and the agent picked us up on time. We were told that our flight was delayed for two hours but we elected to go on to the airport. It appeared that all of the flights on LAN were delayed for that day and we never figured out what the problem was. We arrived at Iguaçu much later than our plan to a cloudy and overcast day with pouring rain immediately after our arrival. There was no way we could visit the falls that day and we were concerned about the next day as we were only staying for one night. Because of this we arranged with an agent in the hotel for a guide for the Brazilian side the next morning as our time would be limited. The Sheraton hotel was wonderful and just as pictured on the internet. We had drinks while sitting on their patio outside the bar area and watched the falls in between the rain and fog, which was rather nice. We met a lot of nice people during this time. They also serve what looked to be a nice English tea. The bar is small but the sitting area around it is quite comfortable. We had the buffet dinner which was good, but not exceptional.

The next morning the sun was out! We had breakfast, which was included (excellent pastries) and met out guide in the lobby. The guide saved us a lot of time just as xpcdoojk and Aussie Gal indicated. We went immediately to the best viewing areas and it was amazing. We got great pictures. And phillipahain the Bird Park was outstanding. You really get up close contact with the Toucans along with the beautiful butterflies. We had arranged for late checkout as we are members of their repeat club. We figured we would need to shower and change before heading for the airport, which we did. We arrived at the hotel to find a note from our agent that the driver would pick us up at 5:00 PM instead of 1:15 PM as the plane was delayed. Considered doing part of the Argentine side but decided to hang in the bar area and get a sandwich for lunch instead. Our driver told us the flight was at 6:15 PM. The LAN rep said that it was now to be 8:20 PM., which later changed to 9:20 PM and we actually left about 10 something. We actually got to BA after 12:00 AM. No tango for us that night. Others on the plane with us were in the same situation as us. But regardless of the airline delays it was worth it to see the Falls and I have been to Niagara, which does not compare.

Again, thanks for all responses.

Dbedros,

So glad that you enjoyed the falls as much as we did. I am sorry you did not walk the trails on the Argentinian side as I believe that they showed a completely different aspect of the Falls than the Brazilian side but at least you have been there.

Flights throughout South America are touch and go. We had 8 different flights earlier this year and very few ran on time.

The Sheraton Hotel is wonderful and a great place to meet people. Thanks for sharing with us your couple of days up at the Falls.

Jennie

Archived