Burial at Sea?

drfun48

I was thinking about the possibility of a burial at sea when my time on earth was done . Since I have enjoyed Celebrity cruises so much, I was considering the possibility of doing it with them.

So often funerals are such sad occasions.But they can be a celebration of a life well done. So having accumulated a reasonable amount of cash down through the years ,I figured I could treat my friends to a cruise if they attended my funeral and burial at sea.

I realize there are some logistical problems as to timing ,but I think they could be overcome if someone could suggest a place where I could be frozen until plans could be finalized and the bookings confirmed .

Does anyone know if Celebrity discounts large groups, as I have many friends and enemies who would probably want to see me off.

Celebrity also usually has a Catholic priest on it's cruises ,so I guess for a small fee he could perform the ceremony.

I would also need a room for viewing so I guess the Penthouse Suite would be best, but do you think they would let me have it if I was the only one "sleeping" there.Would I have to pay a single supplement? I guess not if other family members slept there also.

Does anyone know whether I would get a discount since I would not be consuming any food?And would my family have to dress me in a tux for viewing on formal night?

Also since it is illegal to throw things overboard,does this pertain to coffins.If it does, it might change the whole plan and I would have to be cremated. A cabin at the rear of the ship would then be best to "let my ashes fly",but I understand they are very difficult to book at the "last" minute.

The other possibility I guess,would be to wheel my remains off the ship at a port of call,then just float my casket out to sea off some nice beach, or a day sail catamaran. Any suggestions?

drfun you just made my morning...I am sitting here with tears running down my face, coffee shooting out of my nose, and the cat looking at me like I have lost my mind...

My favorite was dressing you in a tux on formal night..:D

Thanks for a great start to my morning..

Jeanne

DrFun...It is now illegal to dump a body into the ocean. It is a violation of the Clean Air Clean Sea Act of 1989 (or some such law...LOL). A body that has been embalmed is full of hazzardous waste...embalming fluid. Your best bet is to set up a quick ceremony on land and then send some lucky family members out to sea with your ashes. They can then arrange a ceremony while onboard. I am not even sure if you are allowed to dump ashes into the ocean...but it's a hell of lot easier than a body. Having your urn in a Penthouse Suite would be a fitting gesture.:D

Recognizing the tone of this thread - I did witness a burial at sea, December 1970, on the late great Oriana.

It was a Christmas cruise to the Mexican Riviera, RT from San Francisco. A retired Naval type expired between San Francisco and Los Angeles; in LA a representative from the LA Coroner's came aboard, and completed necessary paper work with the widow and the ship's officers.

After departing LA, and before our first port call at Mazlatan, there was a committal at sea, with honors. It was a very moving ceremony.

I doubt that today, with all the new regulations, that permission could be obtained.

DrFun...It is now illegal to dump a body into the ocean. It is a violation of the Clean Air Clean Sea Act of 1989 (or some such law...LOL). A body that has been embalmed is full of hazzardous waste...embalming fluid. :D

Wow...what a bummer...what if I wasn't embalmed,just frozen? Then wouldn't I be just like the other organic waste that gets dumped overboard from the kitchen?

Maybe as an alternative I could be stuffed by my local taxidermist,laminated and presented as a piece of art on one of the Milleniem Class ships...they do have some edgey artwork on the stairwells.

Wow...what a bummer...what if I wasn't embalmed,just frozen? Then wouldn't I be just like the other organic waste that gets dumped overboard from the kitchen?

Maybe as an alternative I could be stuffed by my local taxidermist,laminated and presented as a piece of art on one of the Milleniem Class ships...they do have some edgey artwork on the stairwells.

Sorry, drfun, feeding sharks is not permitted either.

HEY DR...You might just have something...I recall all the paper mache people on the MILLIE Class ships...maybe they could stuff you and make you look like one of them and you could spend the rest of time riding on a ship!!! LOL!!!

The frozen thing is not an option...they incinerate everything and the ashes are dumped on land.

I know there are folks out there who have dumped the ashes of loved ones while at sea...with simple private ceremonies. A friend of mine put her father's ashes into Barcelona Bay recently. I like the idea DR.:D

Hi Dr Fun !

You know, you may be on to something <smile>. Perhaps Celebrity can do a "Hall of Fame" type program on the Solstice Class, of their best customers of the past. You know, the Cruise lines are always looking for "new ideas". We always complain about Captains Club needing more benefits, so how is this for an idea :

They can have their best customers displayed in an art gallery on the ship. The catch is, you can only stay for a year, to make room for some of the newer members. At that point, you would be auctioned off in the art gallery ! This concept would be a win win for everyone. You get a nice new home, and Celebrity gets more onboard revenue. Sounds like a plan :)

Please do not take any of this seriously. Have a laugh, and enjoy your day !

http://www.epa.gov/region2/water/oceans/burials.htm

I've been looking at this as a means for my inheritors to take at least one more cruise... hoping that I would die at sea. Rather than the wasteful extravegance of shipping my body home, switching to a balcony cabin, perhaps with concierage assistance (special tip for over the railing assistance) would suffice.

Boy, I can see it now....Celebrity will be offering burials at sea....but only to Elite Members. Wonder if they'll provide a 20% coupon in their booklet?

Karyn

Hi Karyn !

The way Celebrity's new (and lousy) coupons books are, I would think a 20% off coupon could happen, but ONLY if you buy 2 burials :)

Hi Drfun48,

I actually HAVE a directive in my living will that earmarks some of my funds for sending all my children (4) plus any spouses and children on a final cruise when I pass on. They are to drop my cremation urn overboard if possible. If not, they can set me afloat in the ocean from a port. All may have balcony cabins if they'd like. I want my last cruise to be a celebration. As I'm only 56, I expect to have many more "live" cruises, but this is how I want to go when I have to!! My attorney didn't seem to have any problem with this...but maybe that's because I live in California!!! :-)

Suzie

The only problem with all of this...

You may have to deal with Customer Relations...or Customer Nonservice....

And you will certainly get different answers from different reps.

Well...different strokes for different folks.

Good for some chuckles. Thank you all.

I have seen some sort of water soluble "frisbees" that you can have your ashes molded into. Tossed overboard, the device would dissolve slowly and scatter your ashes over a great area.

I have requested this from my family. As with several above, I have provided funds for all to attend on some sort of cruise. I don't think though that I would provide them all with balconies. If they want that, they can put up the difference. I love 'em, but I ain't crazy. Yet!!

The Guest Relations manager on a recent RCI cruise told us that, in one year of working for the cruiseline, she had done 10 burials at sea. After the wine stopped coming out of my nose she explained that these were NOT passengers or crew who had expired onboard. So DH & I are changing our wills to reflect our preference for that kind of sendoff, including instructions to order a bottle of Veuve at dinner that night and have a last toast on us.

Mind the wind when the ashes are scattered, though. Otherwise you'll be sending the dearly departed to the laundry.:eek:

Here's my suggestion. Your friends and enemies should celebrate your burial with a song.

It could go something like this: (song to a tune with which you may be familiar)

"Over the water and through the waves

To DR FUN's grave we go,

What little we care, we don't even dare,

To toss that carcass, long frozen ago."

If done correctly, the mermaids will join in.

I'm not sure on the exact rules, but I believe the ship staff would have to take custody of your frozen carcass upon boarding, and keep it until the end of the cruise. It would be returned to your family on the final eve of the cruise.

You have WAY too much time on your hands.

Hi Dr Fun !

You know, you may be on to something <smile>. Perhaps Celebrity can do a "Hall of Fame" type program on the Solstice Class, of their best customers of the past. You know, the Cruise lines are always looking for "new ideas". We always complain about Captains Club needing more benefits, so how is this for an idea :

GOOD ONE ANDY!!!

LOL LOL LOL!!! How about "The Captain's Club Burial At Sea"???...LOL. For the price of a double cabin...X will take your ashes along with a loved one and give your ashes a good send off. Of course there will be extras!!! LOL!!! A $50 corkage fee when they open up the urn!!! LOL!!!

Archived