Burial at Sea?

drfun48

I'm a hospice nurse that does home visits. This all sounds good to me especially If i can go with the dearly departed to pronounce him or her dead before they heave um overboard. Then I'd be obligated to celebrity their life with a few Pina Coladas. Who said hospice can't be rewarding! This would be a marvelous way to end the nursing shortage when word gets out "free cruises".

We had sort of had the same burial for my Granddad. Except we had to use the prison ferry at Angola, Louisiana on the Mississippi River. The priest does a nice little ceremony and now the time comes to spread the ashes. Noone can get the darn can open. After a few anxious minutes, an inmate finally finds something we could use to pry the lid off.

We had sort of had the same burial for my Granddad. Except we had to use the prison ferry at Angola, Louisiana on the Mississippi River. The priest does a nice little ceremony and now the time comes to spread the ashes. Noone can get the darn can open. After a few anxious minutes, an inmate finally finds something we could use to pry the lid off.

Now that is funny and scary at the same time:eek:

I was thinking about the possibility of a burial at sea when my time on earth was done . Since I have enjoyed Celebrity cruises so much, I was considering the possibility of doing it with them.

So often funerals are such sad occasions.But they can be a celebration of a life well done. So having accumulated a reasonable amount of cash down through the years ,I figured I could treat my friends to a cruise if they attended my funeral and burial at sea.

I realize there are some logistical problems as to timing ,but I think they could be overcome if someone could suggest a place where I could be frozen until plans could be finalized and the bookings confirmed .

Does anyone know if Celebrity discounts large groups, as I have many friends and enemies who would probably want to see me off.

Celebrity also usually has a Catholic priest on it's cruises ,so I guess for a small fee he could perform the ceremony.

I would also need a room for viewing so I guess the Penthouse Suite would be best, but do you think they would let me have it if I was the only one "sleeping" there.Would I have to pay a single supplement? I guess not if other family members slept there also.

Does anyone know whether I would get a discount since I would not be consuming any food?And would my family have to dress me in a tux for viewing on formal night?

Also since it is illegal to throw things overboard,does this pertain to coffins.If it does, it might change the whole plan and I would have to be cremated. A cabin at the rear of the ship would then be best to "let my ashes fly",but I understand they are very difficult to book at the "last" minute.

The other possibility I guess,would be to wheel my remains off the ship at a port of call,then just float my casket out to sea off some nice beach, or a day sail catamaran. Any suggestions?

They could also tender you out in a small boat for a small fee and set the boat on fire, isn't that a custom somewhere. and then add fireworks to it.:cool:

I'm not sure on the exact rules, but I believe the ship staff would have to take custody of your frozen carcass upon boarding, and keep it until the end of the cruise. It would be returned to your family on the final eve of the cruise.

You have WAY too much time on your hands.

It really isn't that I have too much time on my hands ,it's just that my momma used to tell me that idle hands are the devil's workshop and I'm just tryin' hard to stay out of trouble...and it isn't always easy.

Which brings me to the next question. If Celebrity would allow my family to bring my ashes for disposal on board, would they allow for the dispersal of those of my pet Alpaca,Alice,when it's time for her to go to that great corral in the sky,since they have a policy against pets on board?

When I cruised Millenium last year my husand said "this is the last cruise I do while I am alive". We then discussed that when he passed, I would have him cremated, put him in that big Double Magnum bottle of Dominus that he drank for his 50'th b'day. and we would cruise one more time...Those 20ct. Tanzinite earrings I wanted? Well, he said, you put that wine bottle (with me in it) on top of the jewelry case (in any island you want) and buy them "over my dead body". Now here is the dilemma...we are booked on Mille in 4 weeks ..I don't really need the earrings...hope he breathes all the way thru...and...worst case scenario.... what about the corkage fee for the double magnum?:rolleyes:

A number of years ago I learned of a company who would take my ashes and add them to clay. Apparently, I can become anything I want to as long as it can be molded!! Well, while snorkeling at a private island with a friend on a recent cruise I told her that I wanted to "become" one of those spheres with the holes in it that they sink to become an artificial reef. We came upon one and she totally freaked out.

I can see my ceremony now, just roll me off the back deck. Heave ho, off she goes! Sure beats becoming worm food.

Can I be the founding member of the Captain's Sphere Club? I don't plan on checking out anytime soon but it might take us awhile to get this put together!

Mil

A number of years ago I learned of a company who would take my ashes and add them to clay. Apparently, I can become anything I want to as long as it can be molded!! Well, while snorkeling at a private island with a friend on a recent cruise I told her that I wanted to "become" one of those spheres with the holes in it that they sink to become an artificial reef. We came upon one and she totally freaked out.

I can see my ceremony now, just roll me off the back deck. Heave ho, off she goes! Sure beats becoming worm food.

Can I be the founding member of the Captain's Sphere Club? I don't plan on checking out anytime soon but it might take us awhile to get this put together!

Mil

Incredible---can be molded into any form whatsoever! You don't even want to know what I'm thinking.

The other possibility I guess,would be to wheel my remains off the ship at a port of call,then just float my casket out to sea off some nice beach, or a day sail catamaran.

The next dilemma though is does your family find their own cab or take the ship's "beach break" excursion... and then for the catamaran, how do they choose between snorkeling, helmet dives, a "booze cruise", etc. ? :D

Maybe as an alternative I could be stuffed by my local taxidermist,laminated and presented as a piece of art on one of the Milleniem Class ships...they do have some edgey artwork on the stairwells.

How about cremation on land with your ashes deposited in an empty magnum of champagne that you have trimmed with gold so that you are a classy piece of artwork? You could reside in one of the art corners on the ship attached to one of those spring-like metal holders so that you can bob back and forth with the motion of the ship.... oh, no, that would not work. If your loved one tries to bring you on board, they will confiscate you and give you back at the end of the cruise. And if by some chance you make it on board, the company will charge a corkage fee...:cool:

• 3 years later...

I thought I would resurrect this old thread – no pun intended – really ;)

HAL has very nice service, usually presided over by the master of the ship. A certificate with the longitude and latitude are presented to the family. It is pre-arranged with guest services and they do their best to perform the ceremony at the spot you request. It is governed by the weather and OK’d by the environmental officer. I learned this on the HAL board – no personal experience.

Our favorite line is Celebrity – is there any first hand knowledge of Celebrity’s policy? I don’t plan on needing it soon – I feel pretty good

DW was just asking :rolleyes:

HAL has very nice service, usually presided over by the master of the ship. A certificate with the longitude and latitude are presented to the family. It is pre-arranged with guest services and they do their best to perform the ceremony at the spot you request. It is governed by the weather and OK’d by the environmental officer. I learned this on the HAL board – no personal experience.

Our favorite line is Celebrity – is there any first hand knowledge of Celebrity’s policy? I don’t plan on needing it soon – I feel pretty good

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life ;) If laughter is the best medicine, I just got a few more cruising years added on!

Seriously though, our DD just attended a dispersal ceremony in London, on the Thames. Everyone scattered rose petals so they could "see" where the current was taking the ashes. Very lovely.

Sara

DH and I have talked about this. He knows that I want my ashes to be scattered off a cruise ship at sea, preferably on a cruise that my remaining family takes together.

I was fascinated by the story at this link:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23402166-thousands-of-rubber-ducks-to-land-on-british-shores-after-15-year-journey.do

I was born with wandering feet and I like the idea of continuing to wander after my death. I wanna be like those rubber duckies!

However, also being somewhat cynical, I suppose that my ashes would soon be fish food - so be it - wandering inside a fish is still travelling!

My DW and I have a running joke, since I (kiddingly) announced that

I so admired Kirk Douglas in the "Vikings" , that I wanted the same type of

funeral. Being set out to sea in a wooden Viking ship, and have my

loyal subjects shoot flaming arrows onto the boat.

We decided to compromise with a canoe in a nearby retention pond with bic lighters.

HAL has very nice service, usually presided over by the master of the ship.....

I believe Oceania does as well. I recall a woman posting that they arranged a ceramony for her to release her husbands ashes at sea. The couple had enjoyed many cruises together so it seemed like a natural choice for her.

Only problem is that if you will need to have someone swipe your sea pass card to get on the ship. But, if you don't swipe it to get off, they will never clear the ship and the other passengers will be destined to spend the rest of their lives like Charley on the MTA.

Bring me a sandwich at quarter past two.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Only problem is that if you will need to have someone swipe your sea pass card to get on the ship. But, if you don't swipe it to get off, they will never clear the ship and the other passengers will be destined to spend the rest of their lives like Charley on the MTA.

Bring me a sandwich at quarter past two.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

On a cruise ship, why is that a problem?

Mil

There is a company, in Florida, that offers this service. They cast your ashes with concrete and make whatever statuary you wish; which is then placed on the seafloor in the Keys as part of an artificial reef structure.

Hypo

just the other night - as I was drifting off to sleep -I was thinking about where I wanted to start my trip to the afterlife - and cruising - was number one on the list. I'm not ready to start my trip to the afterlife any time soon - but ashes at sea sounds like a really REALLy good start - with family and friends at the rail. :rolleyes: Sparkling beverage all around - sounds good to me.

Archived