Help With Our Land Tour Itinerary

LarryF

Hello all...

My wife and I will be cruising from Vancouver to Whittier on the Coral Princess May 21 - May 28. We will begin our land tour when we dock on May28 and fly out of Anchorage about 4:30 pm on June 2. So we will have 5 and 1 half days for our land tour.

The musts I have for our land tour will be to go on the Kenai Fjords Cruise tour, see exit glacier and do the all day shuttle to Wonder Lake in Denali. I have already rented a car in Anchorage for pick up on May 28 (the day we dock in Whittier).

Budget Queen, Nancy and Coral had given me some suggestions when I first booked this trip last May when I was fairly ignorant about Alaska. I am now a little more savvy about the distances we want to travel and would like to get some input again from them as well as those who may have done a similar itinerary in years past. Suggestions also for lodging and restaurants would be greatly appreciated. I have signed up for the new toursaver coupon book and waiting to get it later this month!

Thanks,

Larry

Nice to see you again, Larry! Since your cruise ends May 28th, and you want to go as far as possible into Denali, you'll want to go there last. In 2006 - the shuttle to Wonder Lake didn't begin until June 8th, and the shuttle to Fish Creek (mile 63) began June 1st. You'll be cutting it too close to go to Denali on June 1st if you plan to drive all the way back to Anchorage on the 2nd for a 4:30 p.m. flight. It's doable if you plan to drive to Talkeetna the evening of the 1st (after your shuttle), then to Anchorage the next day. Another option is to stay in Talkeetna 2 nights and use the Toursaver coupon for the Denali day trip from Talkeetna Aero - flying to Denali and back on June 1st. I've read great things about the Talkeetna Chalet B&B: http://www.talkeetnachalet.com

Are you planning to use the Toursaver coupon for the Alaskan Leopard shuttle/tour to Anchorage? It's a bit out of your way to go to Anchorage, pick-up the rental car, then drive to Seward - but it is the less expensive option. Since you'll have several days before going to Talkeetna/Denali - you might want to spend your first night in Anchorage, then drive to Seward. Maybe something like this if considering the Denali day trip:

May 28 - cruise ends, shuttle to Anchorage, overnight

May 29 - Anchorage sights a.m., drive to Seward p.m. (2 nights)

May 30 - Kenai Fjords cruise, Exit Glacier

May 31 - drive to Talkeetna (5-6 hours) (stay 2 nights)

June 1 - Denali day trip

June 2 - return to Anchorage, fly home

If you don't want to fly and/or take a chance on missing Denali, maybe this:

May 28 - cruise ends, shutle to Anchorage, pick-up rental car and drive to Seward (2 nights)

May 29 - Kenai Fjords cruise, Exit Glacier

May 30 - Seward a.m., drive to Anchorage p.m.

May 31 - drive to Denali area (1 night) - perhaps staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn: http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com

June 1 - Denali shuttle to Fish Creek, evening drive to Talkeetna (1 night)

June 2 - drive to Anchorage and fly home

Good luck with your planning, Larry!

Thanks for the great information Nancy. Both itineraries are applealing. I would like to do the day trip from Talkeetna on Talkeetna Aero, but if the weather is bad, we'll miss out on Denali altogether.

As much as I want to go to Seward and Denali, would we be better off concentrating on just the Kenai Peninsula or just Denali and spend more time in one of those areas? Also, would it be quicker to take the train from Whittier to Anchorage? I recently attended a local Holland America promotional event and the Alaska representatives at the event highly recommended to take the train to Anchorage versus the Leopard Motor Coach tour.

Thanks

Thanks for the great information Nancy. Both itineraries are applealing. I would like to do the day trip from Talkeetna on Talkeetna Aero, but if the weather is bad, we'll miss out on Denali altogether.

As much as I want to go to Seward and Denali, would we be better off concentrating on just the Kenai Peninsula or just Denali and spend more time in one of those areas? Also, would it be quicker to take the train from Whittier to Anchorage? I recently attended a local Holland America promotional event and the Alaska representatives at the event highly recommended to take the train to Anchorage versus the Leopard Motor Coach tour.

Thanks

The problem with spending most of your time in Denali is that you won't be able to go as far into the park until June 1st. You can go to Toklat (mile 53) after May 20 (2006 date). It's true that if your Denali day trip flight gets cancelled, then you will miss Denali entirely. Only you can decide if Denali is a must-see. There's certainly enough to do in the Anchorage/ Mat-Su area plus the Kenai Peninsula to keep you occupied without going to Denali.

The Alaskan Leopard shuttle/tour takes 4 hours. The cruiseline will offer transfers in the morning (train and/or bus) that will take much less time. The regular train doesn't go to Anchorage until 6:45 in the evening.

I am a big fan of Denali but as NancyIL said, if you get there before June 1 you won't get very far into the park, and that is only an estimate based on snow conditions.

I like the idea of visiting both Seward and Denali but it partly depends on whether you might ever get back to AK again (famous last words!). Personally I would not spend two nights in Talkeetna. You would want to spend the night before your shuttle bus trip into Denali NP near the park entrance. That way you can get an early bus into the park. It also leaves some time later in the day to go through the visitor or wilderness centers near the park entrance (good films) or do some easy hiking on the trails near the park entrance.

I am a big fan of Denali but as NancyIL said, if you get there before June 1 you won't get very far into the park, and that is only an estimate based on snow conditions.

I like the idea of visiting both Seward and Denali but it partly depends on whether you might ever get back to AK again (famous last words!). Personally I would not spend two nights in Talkeetna. You would want to spend the night before your shuttle bus trip into Denali NP near the park entrance. That way you can get an early bus into the park. It also leaves some time later in the day to go through the visitor or wilderness centers near the park entrance (good films) or do some easy hiking on the trails near the park entrance.

My suggestion for 2 nights in Talkeetna was only if he planned to do the Denali day trip with Talkeetna Aero (morning flight from Talkeetna, park shuttle, evening flight back to Talkeetna), rather than drive all the way. I suggested one night in Talkeetna on the same day as the shuttle into the park so as to be closer to Anchorage for a flight home the next afternoon. Larry could certainly stay in the Denali area both nights, IF he wanted to get up quite early the next morning to drive back to Anchorage to catch a 4:30 p.m. flight, but that would be too close for comfort were it my trip.

There is an outside chance that I may be able to switch our flights to Vancouver a day earlier with the same amount of FF miles. If so, I may change from the Coral Princess to the Sapphire Princess which leaves on the same itinerary on the 19th instead of the 21st. That would give us 7 1/2 days in Alaska for the land tour! I could then do Seward and Denali a lot more comfortably! Waiting to hear back from my TA to see if she can get us in similar accomodations at the same price on the Sapphire.

There is an outside chance that I may be able to switch our flights to Vancouver a day earlier with the same amount of FF miles. If so, I may change from the Coral Princess to the Sapphire Princess which leaves on the same itinerary on the 19th instead of the 21st. That would give us 7 1/2 days in Alaska for the land tour! I could then do Seward and Denali a lot more comfortably! Waiting to hear back from my TA to see if she can get us in similar accomodations at the same price on the Sapphire.

We did the same thing, Larry! I wanted more time in Alaska post-cruise, so switched from the Wednesday Pacific Princess on 6/6 to the Monday Coral Princess on 6/4. We were already flying into Vancouver 3 days before the cruise, so didn't need to make any changes to our flights.

Changing ships will give you more time for your land trip, but it won't allow you to get any further into Denali.

Frankly, I do not suggest either of the above "itineraries". You are eating up valuable time, you just do not have.

My suggestion would be to head to Seward direct from Whittier. Even though the most costly option -a Avis rental car would be my first choice. I would definately NOT be going back and forth to Anchorage. You can get on the afternnoon Kenai Fjords boat tour same day.

I would spend one overnight in Seward, then with a noon departure, can get to Talkeetna in plenty of time, or to Anchorage, if your touring priorities are there.

To cut costs, you can turn in your one way rental for a round trip Anchorage car. You would have a 2 day cost on the one way. Priceline is an option for short round trip rentals. But determine what you overall time is worth?? That few hundred dollars on the overall picture is a small amount of the total for a superior routing.

I would still go to Denali Park- end of May can be fantastic for wildlife, although you can't get to Wonder Lake (most people don't anyway). Getting to Toklat is a good choice which I recommend you consider.

So with 5 days, this is my suggestion-

disembark early from Whittier, pick up car after opening 8am- be out in the 9am tunnel and head to Seward. Take the afternoon boat trip. Likely will be time prior for Exit Glacier, or Sealife Center etc. . Next day, am Seward visiting, then head for Anchorage- sightsee and take your time on the Arm. Stop in Anchorage as desired, grocery shop in Wasilla if cont' to Talkeetna (2 hours from Anchorage). Overnight Talkeetna- flight see. Leave in afternoon. 2 nights at Denali Park, shuttle to Toklat. IF you want to include flightseeing in Talkeetna, you could leave for Talkeetna rather than spending a second night at Denali park, allow 3 1/2 hours for the drive. Then back to Anchorage.

Only you can decide if you want to give up Denali Park, in my opinion, you certainly do not have to. Spending your time on the Kenai Peninsula is also an excellent option. But determine WHAT your touring priority is, request visitor guides.

So some hard thoughts- your http://www.toursaver.com may be significantly limited in usage, since you already have a rental car- some tough choices there too. If you can add time- do so, it will pay off many times over.

But my opinion only, I always plan for the most "Alaska" experience, rather than back tracking.

Well, I was able to change our flight to Vancouver to May 18 and changed to the Sapphire Princess that departs on the 19th! We will now dock in Whittier on May 26 and leave on June 2 in the afternoon. That gives a total of 7 1/2 days in Alaska! What would you think of this itinerary:

May 26 PWS Cruise, shuttle or train to Anchorage, stay night in Anchorage

May 27 Pick up rental car and take leisurely scenic dirve to Seward (portage glacier, exit glacier, etc.) Stay night in Seward.

May 28 Kenai fjords cruise, sightseeing in Seward, stay night in Seward

May 29 Leisurely drive to Anchorage, sightseeing, stay night in Anchorage

May 30 Drive to Mantanuska Glacier and do Glacier Trek. Drive to Talkeetna and stay night.

May 31 Flightseeing, rafting and/or horsback riding. Stay night in Denali area

June 1 Shuttle as far as possible into Denali Park. Stay night in Denali.

June 2 Drive back to Anchorage and fly home at 4:30pm

Thoughts?

It's great that you were able to change your flights as well as the ship. :)

I like your overall plan. On May 30th - were you planning on doing the 10:00 or the 2:00 glacier hike? You will need to allow about 3 hours to get to Matanuska if you stay in Anchorage to allow for traffic or construction. Afterwards, I think you're looking at a 3 to 4-hour drive to Talkeetna. Instead of staying in Anchorage again on May 29th - perhaps you could stay somewhere between Anchorage and Matanuska to lessen the amount of driving time the next day.

Thanks Nancy. I agree we should go closer to Mantanuska. Isn't there a B&B near Mantanuska? I can't remember the name.

Also, how long a drive will it be from Denali to Anchorage? Will there be any questions whether we can back by 3pm or so to make our 5pm flight?

Thanks

Long Rifle Lodge is next to MICA guides and the glacier but it's kind of basic. Tundra Rose Cottages, Sheep Mountain Lodge, and Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge, about 10miles away, are a decided step up.

You would need to allow at least 6 hours from the park entrance to Anchorage (240 miles). Factoring in road construction, slow moving RVs, probably a few hours more to be safe.

You might want to overnight in Talkeetna the night before your flight instead.

Long Rifle Lodge is next to MICA guides and the glacier but it's kind of basic. Tundra Rose Cottages, Sheep Mountain Lodge, and Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge, about 10miles away, are a decided step up.

You would need to allow at least 6 hours from the park entrance to Anchorage (240 miles). Factoring in road construction, slow moving RVs, probably a few hours more to be safe.

You might want to overnight in Talkeetna the night before your flight instead.

Sheep Mountain Lodge is the one I was trying to think of. Thanks. That might be a good idea to consider staying in Talkeetna the last night, but I may want to use the toursaver coupon for a 2 for 1 in the Denali area.

Thanks

My opinion only, I took the long trek with Mica guides, 5 hours, it really isn't worth the shorter tours.

May 29, I would go to Sheep mt, next am, do an early trek and head to Talkeetna that night. Very doable, and not stay in Anchorage, unless you have activities planned there?

You need to allow 6 hours Denali park to Anchorage. The airport is on the south side of town.

Archived