What hotel to stay at in Galveston?

clandt

i just realized that you needed a shuttle from the airport. I don't think the hotels in Galveston offer this - although I could be wrong. We took the Galveston Limousine shuttle service. Type Galveston Limousine online and their website should come up. It was very easy to use and they took us right to the hotel. We took this same cruise last Feb.!!

I dont think any of the hotels will offer shuttle service from the Houston airport to Galveston.

My vote for a hotel would be Hotel Galvez. It is a beautiful historical hotel, with nice amenities. They also offer free covered parking for guests that leave their vehichle during a cruise.

We stay at the Hilton. Great Place, across the street from the gulf. If you are driving, you can leave your car at the Hilton and they will take you to the pier. When you get back, call them and they will pick you up. They have a shuttle or limo, both free. Many of the Hotels in Galveston offer this. Have fun.

Cabs from Houston to Galveston are usually about $60. You can get a shuttle to Galveston for $30. No hotels I know of offer free shuttle to and from airport, only Hotel to Pier.

First off, which airport? HOU is about 45 min away (40 miles), but IAH is more like 90 (75 miles). Cabs from IAH are over $100 each way. Best bet is rent a car one-way from Enterpreise (drop-off is right at cruise terminal), shouldn't be more than $40-50/day depending, and don't forget corporate or AAA rates! Same way back to IAH/HOU.

As for hotels, what do you want to spend? Go to the Galveston convention & visitor website for availability at the many choices (www.galveston.com). High dollar I can confidently recomend the San Luis on the gulf, the Hilton is fine at mid-range as is the Tremont down in the historic Strand district. Economy recomendations are the Hilton right next to the San Luis.

Restaurants: Great sea-food at The Saltwater Grill across from the Grand Opera House on I think mechanic & 17th, excellent northern Italian at Luigi's on the Strand at around 22nd St. Superb but $$$$ steakhouse in the San Luis, rivals Ruth Chris'.

Anyone try to rent a car either for a week or one way? We have a few stops to make so between a shuttle and a taxi on the island we are going to spend some cash.

Thanks for all the hotel suggestions.

One last question since we have always sailed out of FLL we usually got to the pier around 11am to be some of the first on. What time do they line up and let you on for the Grand?

I think they start letting people board The Grand around 1130am. We arrived last Feb around noon at ezpark and were in our cabin before 1pm. There were lots of people that appeared to have been on board for some time...The cruise line personalizer told us not to arrive before 2pm.

Anyone try to rent a car either for a week or one way? We have a few stops to make so between a shuttle and a taxi on the island we are going to spend some cash.

Thanks for all the hotel suggestions.

One last question since we have always sailed out of FLL we usually got to the pier around 11am to be some of the first on. What time do they line up and let you on for the Grand?

Which sailing on the Grand are you on?

We are going on the Grand in Feb and need to book a hotel NOW!!!...

If you will be there anytime 02/09 through 02/20/2007, you may have problems due to the Mardi Gras season on Galveston Island. The rooms will be going fast and may be more expensive too.

http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/event308/

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Rerpeat, Enterprise, can get one-way and should be able to avoid a dropp-off charge (esp if you book the reyurn at the same time. Try calling the Galvreston office direct vs the toll free number. The local offices are more likely to deal.

Archived