Western Caribbean in Dec.

charliem

We have sailed several times during Dec (and will be again in 4 weeks - yay). The weather tends to be upper 70's to low 80's. It can sometimes be a little warmer, never experienced it much cooler than that. The water is a little cool to me, but I get cold easily.

Agree with the above posts. Very nice at all the Western ports. Sailed in December several years back for the first time (always sailed in the summer like yourself) and had a great time. Does get darker sooner though, but no problem. Just had to get use to knowing when it starting getting dark, it wasn't close to 9 pm, maybe more like 6 pm starting from Florida and then started getting darker later as you sailed south.

Dave

It is all in YOUR perspcetive. If you are from Minnesota, the air and water temp with be outstanding. If you are from Key West, it will be cool.

Water temp rarely drops below high 70's. Air, low 80's.

Pull out a map, you will note much of the Western Caribbean is below many of the ports folks visit on an Enastern Caribbean itinerary.

We did a fall cruise instead of our usual jan cruises to get warmer ocean water. Just back from Mariner last month and it was delightful weather. Temps were 88 and water was about 84. I finally got to use the pools on the ship... Now for the question. Booked again for next year and this time trying a NOv 24 Eastern cruise on Liberty. What will the normal temps be as compared to Oct and as compared to our usual Jan? Thanks!

Okay all you positive thinkers....we did a New Year's cruise in 2002 and FROZE to death....never left our sweats.

Weather here is much like up north.....if you have a whole bun ch of cold fronts coming thru......odds are the winds and chill WILL make it down to Western. It took us 4 fall/winter cruises to make it to GC.....sat in the harbor too many times watching the unbelievable waves.

But, a cruise is STILL a wonderful place to be and we had a ball on each and every Chill Cruise....and are booked on a New Year's cruise this year. Any cruise is better than a land holiday!:)

What is the weather like in the western Caribbean in mid-December? Average temp, etc. We have sailed the Caribbean during the summer months but unsure what to expect during this time.

Thanks

Charliem, I agree with the others, as you see from my posts we have sailed western Caribbean several times. I have on my home web page weather from Msn.com with Cozmuel,George Town Grand Cayman. It reminds me what I can look forward to. It show for both places for the next 4 days that it will be in the mid-80's. Enjoy your cruise, and the weather. The temp. was the same in Dec. the times we have gone.

Ozzie63:D :D :D

We snorkeled twice in December last year, once each in Grand Cayman and Nassau. Had a great time. Had to stay under a tree at Labadee for shade. It was beautiful. Obviously, you could catch a cold snap, but I don't get the impression it changes up or down much year round.

Weather can be hit or miss. I did a 5 day cruise to the Western Caribbean out of Galveston the middle of December last year. When we boarded the ship it was in the low 40s and windy and by muster drill it was in the mid 30s and extremely windy. Our first sea day was cold and extremely windy with very rough seas. When we got to Cozumel it was in the low 80s and overcast and occasional showers but the water was warm and comfortable. Progreso the next day was absolutely gorgeous and in the mid 70s. When we disembarked the ship in Galveston it was sunny and in the low 70s at 8am.

The Mariner out of Port Canaveral reported the same conditions the same week as us. Cold and windy leaving port, and not getting warm weather until the first port.

Archived