B5 or B3 cabin on QM2

Lefty51703

We are considering a 5 day cruise over Memorial Day weekend with my 90 yr.old mother. There would be 3 in our cabin. QM2 is sold out of A1,A2 and A3 cabins and wait list is so long they not adding to it. So we are thinking about an B5 cabin because my mom can't be on her legs very long and she would have to stand to have a view from a B3 cabin. Is that correct or would she have a view sitting down? I know the B5 would have an obstructed view but how obstructed is it? Cunard said there would be tenders in front but it would have a glass enclosure and not be 100% obstructed. If she wouldn't have a worthwhile view in either category maybe we should consider an oceanview. Has anyone stayed in a B5 that could help with our decision? Thank you. :confused: :confused:

If you can get a cabin inbetween the tenders, the view is better! (8058, 8068, check the deckplan for the others, although they will probably have already been sold)

The B3's in the hull are unobscured, but you do really have to stand to see out horizontal. The rail is above waist height for me (6'4"), and the opening is about 2" above that.

I know this is not really good news, but I think you would be best with a B5 as then you would have a view of sorts.

HTH

We were in 8060 and 8062 for a recent Eastbound TA and thought the rooms were fine. We turned down an upgrade to a B3 because we thought the view from the B5's were better, especially as we had children.

We were so thrilled with the TA that we have booked again for next year, but going westbound this time......and we have booked the same rooms.

Thanks for your replies-The picture taken from a B5 balcony looks like it was an in-hull balcony. I thought a B5 was a glass enclosed obstructed view. We are tentatively booked in #8055 but might change to one of the cabins mentioned. In one review it said that when the sofa bed was open you couldn't open the refrigerator or get to the balcony. Do you experience that?

Thanks again

I was on back-to-backs and while in Southampton had a chance to visit empty cabins being cleaned.

Oceanview - The bed or night tables are in front of the window so you can't get right up to the window and you would also have to stand to see out of the window.

I had an in-hull balcony and you get a marvelous view because the opening is large but definitely have to stand at the rail (opening) to see out.

I had friends on deck 8 with a shore tender directly in front and the only time they had a view was when the boat was being used for tendering passengers to shore. I'm pretty sure they were in 8071.

The catagories are changing from next year so that a B5/6 is on 8. We just had cabin 6048 which is an in hull. You would have to stand to see over. We have cabin 8068 booked for out next QM2 voyage which shows as being between tenders. We'll see how we go. Very much looking forward to it.

The trick is to choose a balcony with at least a gap between the life boats if you can't get the cabins which have the smaller zodiacs in front of them. We recently had cabins 8028 and 8030 on a recent Canada/ New England Cruise and the balconies afforded a view between the boats as well as a nice place to relax. Take a look at these:

http://www.dgsonline.com/qm2/8028_to_brooklyn.JPG

http://www.dgsonline.com/qm2/8028_to_front.JPG

http://www.dgsonline.com/qm2/8028_to_promenade.JPG

Hey, Shellie:

8095 appears to be partially between 2 lifeboats.:confused: In other words, when you go out your balcony door, if you go to the extreme left end of the balcony, you will be able to see the water looking around the end of the lifeboat hanging there.

I offer this opinion from looking at the QM2 deck plans in Cunard's brochure.

Hope it helps,

We are booked into 8055 for the Xmas and New year cruise and will give you a personal update upon our return if you wish. Although it is obstructed view the size of the cabin and balcony exceeds that of the next level up.

Hi hooked cruiser

Not sure what you mean, the next level up (grade wise) is a B4 on deck 4 which is a similar sized cabin but with a bigger balcony (even the ones towards the bow where they narrow slightly). Next level up physically is Queens Grill territory and the cabins are twice the size. Maybe I didn't understand?

Hi All

Does anyone know how obstructed cabin 8095 is please? We have the opportunity to up-grade to this cabin. I feel any 'daylight' & view is better than non.

Thanks in advance

Shellie

Shellie,

I think I can answer that question unequivocably!

I wasn't sure and had to get my stuff from our January cruise out to be positive. That was our Cabin on the January 3 Panama Cruise. You have about 1/3 of your view unobstructed. There is a lifeboat forward of you (lifeboat 18, if I remember correctly) which is usually used for a tender. This means when in a tender port, there will be no lifeboat in your view, and it is fun to watch them, raise and lower it. It also means make sure you have your curtains (at least the gauzy ones) closed when coming into a tender port. I am sure crew members are quite busy, and will not be looking in, but they could inadvertantly see in if your lights are on. (Not sure if they could see in if lights off- I cant remember but I think the glass may be slightly reflective, though don't count on it!)

The room is about three doors up (I think) the corridor from the elevator lobby. You can hear the bing of the elvator as it stops on the floor, however, we found it musical and not annoying at all. The convenience to the elevator was great and we went down 1 floor to Kings Court, or to 2 deck and were fairly close to the Brittania and Gold Lion. It is, however, a slightly long walk to the Commodore and library. We would take this cabin again, without hesitation. The bell was infrequent, and usually we did not even notice it.

Hope these shots help.Sorry,. I have never gotten the hang of resizing pictures so I hope this is useful. If not I will try to find another way to post them.

Karie,

who is a great technician. Just not on pictures!

1009561915_viewfrom8095.jpg.26b6624d580acf094a106a03e89c3d0c.jpg

1838096151_balconytotenders8095.jpg.7aba40efcde3cbe267e9b2f59d1816cd.jpg

1620081797_sunfrombalcony8095.jpg.571522a8d208dacbf0a427a86b0a3b91.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to research this for me Karie. I think the views will be lovely and it is a priviledge to have our own piece of deck to sit out on. In fact I feel priviledged to be cruising on the QM2 in the first place; and having a balcony is a fabulous bonus.

Can you remember on average what time the tenders were lowered? It may prove be quite an unusual wake up call; though we are not ones to lounge in bed anyway.

Thanks Again Karie

Shellie.... who must remember to cover up in her cabin.

Shellie,

The tenders are often lowered quite early, since they need them to tender people to shore for excursions and such. So I would say 8 AM is not unheard of, sometimes even sooner. I wouldn't be too worried. If you keep the sheers closed, you get plenty of light and yet, retain your modesty. As long as you sleep in something, or have a robe nearby, there is no need for worry. These guys are generally all business when they have a chore to do, and their manager is generally out on the promenade below them watching over them, with a walkie talkie to help or direct them when needed. They are not looking towards the rooms, in my experience, and try not to get distracted even when people call out hello to them. They are there to do a job, and they need to coordinate appropriately to lower both ends together and get things "shipshape" for their runs. It isn't really a problem, just startling when you come out of the bath and see men ten feet from your balcony!

Karie,

who never felt uncomfortable with them there, just silly to come out naked! (Good thing Marc was around to close the curtains for me!)

• 3 weeks later...

We had 8060 and 8062. We put the children in 8062 as this had a more obstructured view than 8060. If you are on a TA i don't think that it's the view from your balcony that is important, as there is very little to see. You are up on deck for the sail-away and asleep when it docks. We wanted balconies becuase we wanted to see daylight when we woke up in the morning. Our children never used their balcony, except to cut through the connecting door to get into our room.

The lifeboats are quite a distance from the balcony, so i didn't find them overly obtrusive. It was nice to go outside and get a bit of fresh air whilst I was waiting for my husband to get ready. However, if we wanted to sit outside, we tended to go down to deck 7 and sit on the promenade and have tea and biscuites served to us.

Hope this helps. I don't know if my husband took any photos of the balcony, but I'll ask him.

Enjoy. You will have a great trip. We loved it. My daughter had a ball and begged us to go back next year. How could I refuse!

Archived