Back Packs? Totes?

Elliern

I have read a lot about dressing in layers, bringing camera and binoculars, etc. But what is everyone carrying their 'stuff' in? I bought a back pack for my husband, but he really doesn't want to use it, says it doesn't feel comfortable. But he has never used one and none of them were comfortable to him. I want us to be comfortable walking around before, after and during our excursions but what is the best way to do that. We are in early 60's and reasonably fit.

Thanks for any suggestions

Ellie

A backpack is the way to go. Carrying everything by hand wherever you go is a pain, especially if you shop like we do! It's much easier for carrying heavier loads. Also, it's much less likely you'll put a bag down and forget it.

Les

We took a tiny backpack. It held two jackets and sunglasses and that was about it. I had a large black nylon shoulder purse/bag that held glasses, money, tour book and sunscreen.

We didn't end up using the backpack. The one time we thought we'd want it was on the helicopter flight to the sled dogs. However, the operator told us we couldn't take it and we had to take our stuff out of the backpack and the purse/bag and put it in the pockets of the safety vest they gave us.

If we did it again, I'd be tempted to leave the little backpack at home and just go with the bag. My husband carried the bag most of the time and it was lightweight. We didn't hit any rain, however and if it rained, the backpack might have been good to carry little umbrellas.

My Husband and I are in your age group and are leaving in 2 days for a land excursion and then the Summit from Seward. We have each purchased a backpack to use while there. We will take these on the plane and use them for the land part instead of taking an overnight bag. I will let you know how it worked out after we get back.We are really excited at this point!!

Joyce

The best day pack (back pack ) to get is one with padded straps (you won't get padded straps in the really little ones). This makes it so much more comfortable and I believe is essential in that it could be wet underfoot and some places could be rough so it is important to have both hands free for balance and in case you slip. A pack like this will carry water camera etc and a couple of sweaters. We do a lot of walking and find this the only way to go.

:)

We are also in our 60's and husband has carried a back pack for years. In fact we wore one out last year and had to get a new one. And his back pack does have the padded straps. He likes it because he put away his camera when he doesn't need it. And if we have layered clothes for the day, it's handy to put them in there as the day warms up. It is also great for packages you may buy.

:)

We each had one back pack per couple, a medium sized frameless one with padded straps - bought it at Modell's or Target for about $18-$20.

We used the back pack for jackets, sweatshirts, storing layers we peeled off or added on, cameras, extra film, books, maps, etc., and attached our hats to the straps. The straps were adjustable, but sometimes my husband carried it by the top loop, sometimes I wore it.

In addition, I had a "belly bag" which I kept our "important" things in, like id, money, tickets, itinerary.

Pack packs!!!!! So much easier than lugging something over your shoulder.

My husband is not used to carrying one either, but he was happy to have everything conveniently in it!!

Thanks everyone. I guess he will just have to take the back pack and at least give it a try. It does have padded shoulder straps. and two inner compartments and at least one small outer one I think. We got it at Costco. Had one from Eddie Bauer, but for some reason we could never adjust it correctly to fit my husband. I also have a small bag that goes over shoulder/chest to carry some things. It also has a padded strap. It is from Jansport I think. I don't plan on carrying a purse around. I also have a small fanny pack, but not sure I will take it.

Churee: Have a great trip and let me know how the back pack worked out.

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

I do not bother with a backpack.....I just use a fannypack for money, tickets etc. I usually wear a sweatshirt with a longsleeve tee-shirt underneath I can take it off and tie it around my waist if I get to warm.

Maybe if I were going hiking, or on a fishing boat, but just for shopping in Juneau and Ketchikan it's more like a trip to the mall!

we use a rolling backpack - walmart ~$30. u can pak it empty or use it as your carry-on. came in handy, didnt have to lug anything, ltwt. i think american tourister. iuse it as a rolling tote for plane also.

My husband and I prefer to use something between a backpack and fanny pack... it's like a small messenger bag, or day pack. I found a few examples of what I'm talking about below. We find that it is not as bulky as a backpack, and we can carry a water bottle, guide book, map, wallet, camera, etc. Maybe this is an idea. :)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Packing___Daybags___PursesLB242?Args=

http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Packing___Daybags___PursesLB241?Args=

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47781352&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&vcat=REI_SSHP_TRAVEL_TOC

CRZYTCH: thanks for the links, I actually have something similar, will have to haul it out and see how much it holds. It does seem more comfortable than the back pack.

TREVEN: Hee Hee...There you go, why am I even fretting over this? I will tell him you said so, so there!

Thanks everyone...I think I willl just get out what we have and load each one up and see what works best for us. We have the back pack and two shoulder bags plus my fanny pack.

Ellie

Archived