10:55am flight out of Miami - cutting it TOO close?

loug1601

Hi,

We will be on the 9/15/07 Liberty sailing. We return to Miami on 9/22/06. If we select a 10:55am flight, should we have time to make it to the airport?

We are in a GS and we also purchased cruisecare insurance.

The next flight out is at 1:15pm, but the price is higher than the 10:55am flight. It is just me and hubby. We can carry our own bags.

Thanks!

Pat :)

I would say yes. I've flown out of Miami on American using their port terminal services and got off the ship on time for a 1:00 flight with no problem of having to check bags at the airport but you never no when there will be an immigration issue, customs agent shortage, delay of getting into port because of weather/mechanical, or long lines at the airport for security. If you book the earlier flight, you will feel the stress of making the flight all the way until you are at the gate to board the plane. Spend a little extra, take your time, and not get stressed out!!!

I just returned from the Freedom, we did the express off, meaning you carry all your luggage off, and we were off and in the car by 6:30 am, when you carry your own off you can leave anytime after the first call, very easy, we each just had one rolling bag, the easiest we ever got off. Have a great cruise

I always schedule my flights no earlier than 1-130pm. I just don't like the feeling of being rushed. What if your ship takes longer to clear customs for some odd reason? On the Enchantment last year we didn't get off the ship until 10am due to a delay in customs. For my Dec cruise out of Miami, my flight is at 3pm. They had one at 11am for a cheaper fare, but I just don't want to take a chance on missing the flight. Of course you have insurance, so you can take the risk.

I would not take a chance of missing the earlier flight. We would never plan on a flight before 1pm at the earliest. I think the slightly greater cost is worth it if it saves you from the worry incase things don't go as well as you would like on debarkation day.

To me, it just isn't worth it. My group of 9 is not even leaving until 3pm, next March. If we have to hang around for a couple of hours, no big deal. At least we won't be rushed.

Just one note about that early flight. Since that flight is before the time RCCL recommends, the cruisecare insurance will not cover any extra expenses if you miss the flight - if you are the one booking it.

I would go with the later flight..........while I think you will be fine in MOST cases........with all the factors including lines at airport security, I would take a later flight.

When I've cruised out of Miami, which is several times, I'm usually at the airport by about 9:30. This is without rushing and without any early departure tags to get off the ship early. My friend books a 10:00 flight, and has had no problem making it, as long as you are one of the first groups off the ship. You should have absolutely no problem with that early flight, unless something very unusual happens. Sure you'd be safe with a later flight, but who wants to spend 4-5 hours at the airport.

We did it earlier this year and the air was set by RCI! I was really concerned we wouldn't make it, but we were at the airport with time to spare. We too had a back up flight around 1:00 just in case, but we had no problem at all. I will admit though we didn't use our transfers and just grabbed a cab and headed to the airport. It's much faster than waiting for a bus to load!

Keep your early flight--you'll make it just fine! And, if for SOME reason, you don't, you still have the option of stand-by on a later flight. There's absolutely NOTHING worse than ending a wonderful cruise by having to hang around a city with nowhere to "call home"! Killing time is no fun!! Keep your flight, and disembark as soon as they open the gangplank! You'll be fine!

We just got into Miami on Sunday on the Explorer of the Seas. We did the early disembarking and carried our own luggage off the ship and caught a cab by 7:00am to FLL. We got there at 7:30am and caught a 9:00am flight.

We got into Miami last month on a Monday on the Majesty of the Seas. We carried our own luggage off the ship as well and caught a cab at 7:00am to MIA. We got there at around 7:15am and caught an 8:20am flight.

We've flown out of MIA 4 times and out of FLL once. We've always been able to catch the 8:20am flight out of MIA. I'm not saying it's for everybody but we've never had a problem and we've never stressed it either.

Tim

Keep your early flight--you'll make it just fine! And, if for SOME reason, you don't, you still have the option of stand-by on a later flight. There's absolutely NOTHING worse than ending a wonderful cruise by having to hang around a city with nowhere to "call home"! Killing time is no fun!!

Actually there is something worse. Missing your flight after a cruise and then wondering if you would be able to get home that day at all. I missed an 11:40am flight coming off Voyager in Miami 2 years ago. Luckily they were able to find a seat for me that day, but I got home 12 hours later than I was supposed to.

Actually there is something worse. Missing your flight after a cruise and then wondering if you would be able to get home that day at all. I missed an 11:40am flight coming off Voyager in Miami 2 years ago. Luckily they were able to find a seat for me that day, but I got home 12 hours later than I was supposed to.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

###

Here's the way I look at it. If I book mid-morning flights, I will make it at least 9 out of 10 times. If I save at least 3 hours of "sitting around" each time, that 9 x 3 hours = 27 hours of my time saved. If I should miss a flight, and using the above mentioned "worst case" of sitting around and wasting 12 hours waiting for a later, evening flight, I'm still way way ahead always booking early flights home. For me personally, the real "stress" is in possibly wasting time so I take the more aggressive and "optimistic" approach of debarking early and flying home right after getting to the airport.

Of course, my risk/reward analysis above only works for me because I live near a major airport with frequent and regular flights by multiple airlines to various cruise ports so that I have multiple daily flight options. If you live in Missoula, MT, then the downside of missing your flight would likely be a lost day (or two) and that completely changes the "risk" factor.

In summary, I would consider the early departing flights if you are both risk tolerant AND have other flight options that day.

Terpnut, one thing about my 12 hours, there was only 1 seat available that day. I was traveling solo so it didn't matter. Most people who are looking for that cheaper, earlier flight are at least a couple if not a family. If you're willing to risk it, you also have to be willing to be split up to get home that day as there is no guarantee there will be seats available for your entire party on the same plane.

Archived