HELP -- Princess or RCL??

granite-stater

I would very much appreciate any help or thoughts that anyone might offer me on this issue. I am a first time cruiser and, I must say, all of the information out there can make your head spin. (Not to mention that I am a little nervous about cooping myself up on a cruise ship, having never done it before).

I am a 47 y/o Dad taking my daughter on a cruise for her Senior year present. She's 17, although she will turn 18 on the cruise. I have narrowed it down to two possible choices which, itself, was difficult, but making the last choice seems almost impossible with all of the information out there. Sooo . . . I was hoping for some personal insights.

The two cruises are the RCL Mariner on March 11, or the Caribbean Princess on the same day. At present, I am leaning towards Princess because, I have heard:

(1) RCL doesn't do as good a job of managing the crowds as Princess;

(2) A number of postings have suggested a decline in RCL service (cost-cutting) in the last year;

(3) The activities on Princess, while not quite as good as RCL (rock-climbing wall), look pretty suitable (like Movies Under the Stars, for example);

(4) The itinerary, Eastern as opposed to Western Caribbean, I am told is better and less likely to be affected byweather in March;

(5) I was told that the Princess food, service and cabins are better than RCL.

My only concerns about Princess are:

(A) Will the group be suitable for a younger girl? My daughter is cool about hanging with me, but I am sure she'll want some kids her own age too. From what 've read, Princess caters to a slightly older crowd, but other reviewers have noted that, this being Spring Break week, there will be no shortage of teenagers in tow with parents;

(B) The itinerary, because of distance, cuts out one port of call and your entire first two days are at sea. Again, maybe not a big deal if the ship has lots to do, and also kind of a wash if, on the Western side, you'd lose a day to weather potentially, but it does case me some thought.

I would really appreciate any help anyone sees fit to offer.

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know whichever you decide - you and your daughter will have a FANTASTIC time.

There will be hundreds of teens on both ships as that is spring break time and lots of people bring their kids onboard. Either choice will be fine with her.

Both itineraries are great for first time cruisers - so I wouldn't worry about that.

Obviously, people on this board will prefer Princess (as I do) but having sailed both - I really think you will have a great experience whichever ship you decide.

Theresa

We have sailed both lines, and would give princess a slight edge when it comes to food (better quality, with 24 hour buffet), and RC a slight edge when it comes to teen activities (if they enjoy sports). An extra sea day can be a good thing, depending on your point of view (I personally love them). Either way, you can't go wrong!

Don't worry about the two days at sea - we just got off the Crown and for the first time ever on a cruise, I wished we had more days at sea because there were so many activities going on the ship that we were never bored.

Except for the food not being my cup of tea, I would go with the Crown - the ship is beautiful and we found the service to be excellent.

I like the anytime dining on Princess, it avoids being tied down to a certain dining time and tablemates. With this, you and your daughter can have a table for two if you want, or choose to dine with new friends you have met, or ask for a larger table so you can chat with other cruisers -- or vary this from night to night. You can also be flexible and eat when you are ready instead of at a pre-determined time -- or skip the DR altogether for the buffet, or pizza/hamburger route. There are also the 2 specialty restaurants, Sabatini's and the Sterling Steak House, to choose from. My family loved anytime dining and feels the benefits outweigh the loss of a waiter who gets to know your preferences -- you'll get a wide range of opinions on this, however!! On another note, totally unrelated, I do have to add that the Eastern route includes Princess Cays, and sometimes this stop is missed due to poor weather for tendering. But Grand Cayman is a stop on many Western itineraries and that is also missed at times due to tendering issues, so it can happen with either choice.Eastern is better for shopping, if your daughter is into that. I'm only mentioning this so you can be prepared in advance. Either way, you'll have a wonderful cruise -- your daughter is a very lucky girl!

Just as a scheduling point, since your daughter will be turning 18 on the cruise, Princess might not let her attend the teen club activities after her birthday. I heard they are pretty strict about the age guidelines. Something to be forewarned of beforehand if she makes friends in the teen club for the 1st part of the trip. Although RCL's cutoff for teens is probably 17 also. From a ship perspective, Princess is wonderful and the Eastern itinerary I personally think is more enjoyable.

We just returned from the CB...been on the Mariner as well. We're taking our kids in July for my dd's grad. present as well. We decided on the Mariner, Voyager class that is. Had the AOS booked, but didnt' work out with our flights..

Anyways, I think the CB is gorgeous! Loved the Mariner as well..both r our two fav's..but with our teens, we decided on the Mariner. I think personally it's more for teens. You have to look at the activities as well...would she enjoy the rock climbing..ice rink, inline skating..both have golf...

Both will have plenty of kids! NO worry about that. You really can't go wrong with either..she'll have a great time. The movies under the stars was cool...but I think for us, the kids will enjoy the Mariner better.

Food to me actually was better on the Mariner...very subjective. I liked our balcony room much better on the Mariner. Princess bal. rooms were small to me..or just the lay out. No couch unless u get a mini suite.

My vote is for the Mariner. SEe what the differences r and decide what's important to YOU.

Have a great time! What a nice gift for her.:D

We have sailed on Royal Caribbean's voyager class ships on both eastern and western itineraries and loved the cruises. Last March we sailed on the Caribbean Princess (eastern itinerary) and, because we had such a great time, we're going back again on the same ship and the same itinerary March 11. We really appreciate the flexibility of Anytime Dining. Last March we saw plenty of young people aboard the ship and there were a lot of activities for them. If you decide on the March 11 sailing of the Caribbean Princess, jump in on the Roll Call (see the link below my post) and get to know some others who are sailing this one.

On the Caribbean Princess, one of the places the young people like to hang out is Club Fusion, which blends the atmosphere of a New York-style club with a touch of Las Vegas-style games and excitement. The lounge features high-tech capacilities and appearance with 42 high-definition video screens throughout.

Another popular place is Skywalkers Nightclub. This is a futuristic club suspended above the stern of the ship, 150 feet above the water. By day it is a spectacular observation lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows. After dark, it is transformed into a lively nightclub with state-of-the-art lighting, sound and video effects.

In addition, there are a variety of scheduled activities like trivia games, karaoke, talent contests (Princess Idol), and more!

And, of course, the swimming pools, volleyball court, miniature golf...

We've traveled with 3 teens on both -

Alaska with 15-17 yr olds and Med with 17-19 year olds. They liked the Princess activities and organization better. Make sure your daughter goes to the first get together so she meets kids early on. Our son and his cousins quickly hooked up with a group that remained frineds after the cruise. We did travel during peak vacation times so there were quite a few kids on board. There are so many things to do that you will probably never feel cooped up - we love sea days to explore the ship and get involved with all the activities.

You usually have to pick and choose because thee is too much to do!

You will probably get hooked just like the rest of us!!! enjoy:)

You cannot go wrong. Food is very dependent on ship/cruise/crew. We like both lines very much. We prefer the Eastern routes but that is personal. If everything is about equal based on your wants/desires then I would go with the best deal that you can get. Given the age of your daughter, I might be tempted to go RCI.

Just as a scheduling point, since your daughter will be turning 18 on the cruise, Princess might not let her attend the teen club activities after her birthday. I heard they are pretty strict about the age guidelines. Something to be forewarned of beforehand if she makes friends in the teen club for the 1st part of the trip. Although RCL's cutoff for teens is probably 17 also. From a ship perspective, Princess is wonderful and the Eastern itinerary I personally think is more enjoyable.

No need to worry about the age issue. It's based on your age when you get on the ship. Just like if you were 20 and turned 21 2 days into the cruise you still couldn't get a drink. Seems crazy but that's the way it is.

I like the OP's comment about being cooped up on a ship. I'll bet he isn't saying that when he gets back.;)

Bill

No need to worry about the age issue. It's based on your age when you get on the ship. Just like if you were 20 and turned 21 2 days into the cruise you still couldn't get a drink. Seems crazy but that's the way it is.

I like the OP's comment about being cooped up on a ship. I'll bet he isn't saying that when he gets back.;)

Bill

Really? That is good to know!

for me myself and my wife we prefer princess,it just has a better feel to us,but we like somewhat relaxed atmosphere etc etc,but for an 18 yr girl,id go with rci,as others have stated its geared a lot better towards kids,teens,etc etc,they are a lil more glitzy,and mall like,plus sports,and lots of kids,but this is just my opinion,so its kinda like yin and yang,for you,itll be fine whatever you pick,enjoy your cruise:)));)

As you can tell from these posts, it really is a toss up between Royal Caribbean and Princess. We have enjoyed them both and woudn't hesitate to go on either. Our choice of Princess would be based on our preference for the Eastern Itinerary and the flexibility of the Anytime Dining.

We are a 48/50 yr old couple with two teenage daughters who are now 16 and 19. We introduced our daughters to cruising during the holiday season right after 9/11 and have been cruising the holidays ever since.

With either cruise line you can't go wrong. The girls first cruise was with RCCL on Voyager. They were much younger, but the programs were structured for all age levels. Have nothing negative to say about RCCL, was great cruise. If your daughter is into all the RCCL "HYPE" and not so much the cruise itself and the itinerary, then RCCL is for you.

Now for Princess. We are sailing Princess this Christmas and have for the previous 3 Holiday seasons on all 10 day cruises for the following reasons which might answer some of your concerns

1- You never feel that there are so many passengers on board.

2- The activities on Princess are more suited for my girls and us because

we enjoy more of the regular shipboard activities than the HYPE.

3- The itinerary being Eastern/Southern or Panamal Canal appeals more to us, having been to the western several times, there is just more to do on Eastern itineraries (let's face it, what 17 year old girl doesn't like shopping)

4- The food, service and cabins were just a small notch up from RCCL

5- The whole overall Princess experience just fits our family perfect.

As for your remaining concerns, Princess will definitely appeal to your daughter. On spring break, as over the holiday season there are many families with children our daughters age on board. And I mean many. Our daughters also enjoy hanging around with us, but have had no problem meeting groups of teens their own age on every cruise without even joining any programs. And as far as Princess catering to older crowds,

hobwash, unless your cruising to Alaska when school is in session you may run into that. Every time we've cruised there has always been a nice mix of families, extended families and teens. As for the days at sea, count it as a blessing, they will probably be the only 2 days you don't see your daughter and get some r and r .

Keep in mind that this is only the opinion of a mom and dad who's been cruising the past 6 years with teenage girls(who by the way will turn 17 and 20 on our upcoming cruise).

There will be no shortage of teenagers on either cruise you choose. It is strictly preference. If she is into sports, then I would definitely opt for RCCL. If she is interested in fun shipboard activites, lounging around soaking up the sun, flexibility in dining, shopping and family bonding without the hype, then Princess is for you.

Good luck!

Who is the cruise for? If it is for you, then choose Princess, it its for your daughter, choose the Mariner. For the younger crowd, Princess rolls up the carpet at 1030 pm, RCCL the party just gets started. I think the food is better on Princess but not enough that your daughter would recognize.

Given that you noted you are a first time cruiser, you are getting information 2nd hand about RCCL. I've cruised on most of the lines and with teens before and disagree with most ofyour list. I have cruised on the Mariner before and also have done Spring Break a few times while my daughters when they were teens.

(1) RCL doesn't do as good a job of managing the crowds as Princess;

I didn't see this being true. Given you are going in March it will be pretty equal of an increase in kids on most ships. Carnival was the only one we went on where Spring Break was a madhouse.

(2) A number of postings have suggested a decline in RCL service (cost-cutting) in the last year;

I've been on 2 RCCL cruises this year and can attest the service is excellent. I was on the Mariner last fall and it was exceptional too.

(3) The activities on Princess, while not quite as good as RCL (rock-climbing wall), look pretty suitable (like Movies Under the Stars, for example);

Activies are more suitable for your daughter on the Mariner. There's more than a rock climbing wall. I wouldn't compare movies under the stars to be equated.

(4) The itinerary, Eastern as opposed to Western Caribbean, I am told is better and less likely to be affected byweather in March;

Never heard of that reason. Can say that the seas are calmer in the Western from my experience.

(5) I was told that the Princess food, service and cabins are better than RCL.

WRONG - Equal on Food & Service. Mariner has bigger cabins than the Carribean Princess.

My only concerns about Princess are:

(A) Will the group be suitable for a younger girl? My daughter is cool about hanging with me, but I am sure she'll want some kids her own age too. From what 've read, Princess caters to a slightly older crowd, but other reviewers have noted that, this being Spring Break week, there will be no shortage of teenagers in tow with parents;

More of her age group (Senior HS/Graduate} will be on RCCL. They do have a get-together the first night out.

(B) The itinerary, because of distance, cuts out one port of call and your entire first two days are at sea. Again, maybe not a big deal if the ship has lots to do, and also kind of a wash if, on the Western side, you'd lose a day to weather potentially, but it does case me some thought.

Sea days are nice onboard. Being a first-timer, it gives you time to explore the ship.

Either way you look at it, you can't go wrong on going on a cruise. I'm just pointing out that maybe the information you have been given is based on some prejudice of RCCL. The Mariner is a fantastic ship. Don't shoot it down based on something "you've heard".

Are you talking about just Princess and RCI? The reason I ask is because last year when we cruised on NCL, our daughter was 12 when we embarked. Three days later she turned 13. They let her go into the Teen Club from the very first day, knowing that should soon be turning 13. And, also their automatic tipping policy is $5.00 a day for ages 3-12. After that it's $10. My daughter was charged $5.00 for the first three days and as soon as she turned 13, it went up to $10 a day. Same with my nephew who was 2 when we embarked. (no tipping for his age group.) He turned 3 five days later. His tipping fee was then $5.00 a day.

So, in this case, that isn't true about basing it on the age you were at embarkation. Otherwise, the tipping amounts would have stayed the same and my daughter wouldn't have been able to join the Teen Club at all.

I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't serve alcohol to someone who turned 21 on the cruise. Their birthdate is in the system, so it would be known how old they are the entire time.

Bill

I only go by what I read on here. Maybe some people misunderstood what they were told. I've read many post mostly about Carnival where whatever your age is at the beginning of the cruise your stuck with that for the duration.

I just looked on Carnivals website and can't find anything about it so maybe I'm wrong. If so my apologies for the erroneous info.

I don't sail NCL so not familiar with their policies.

Bill

I have been on the CB twice this year - once to the Eastern and once to the Western. I also went on the Carnival Miracle to the Western in December of last year. My kids are 20 and 23. They love Carnival and the Western itinerary.

If I were to go on Princess and had to choose between Eastern and Western, it would have to be the Western route as there are alot more her age than the ones who went to the Eastern route (they were 40's and up).

I'm taking my daughter on Diamond Princess during Spring break for her 21st birthday. Your daughter will like the MUTS on the CB if she likes movies but it is an older crowd on the Eastern Caribbean and the CB doesn't start the Western until May. The difference in the age groups and the amount of fun was amazing between the two itineraries and one was April and one was October. Whatever you do, you should pick the Western route. March isn't hurricane season so no matter when you go to some ports its a hit and miss. We have never missed any port.

If your daughter wants to have a drink or gamble that is another thing to take into consideration as Princess is 21 for gambling and drinking. Mexico is 18 to drink and Carnival is 18 to gamble but 21 to drink. I have no idea what RCI is since they are more expensive. Hope that helps you since I just went thru all of this with my kids. Have fun!

Archived