Immigration in New Zealand

traveler525

Has anyone done the Sydney to Auckland cruise recently? We are going in January on the Princess Sapphire and wondered how immigration was handled once we hit Dunedin in New Zealand?

Do people who book Princess shore excursions instead of the private tours get first priority going thru immigration and exiting the ship?

Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Debbie

If you are going from Sydney to Auckland, the New Zealand customs officials come on board in Hobart and during the next two days take care of all the customs paperwork while you are at sea. They usually have you show up by the deck that your cabin is on so there really isn't to long of a line. We showed up about half an hour before we were really suppose to be there and there was no line. Just make sure you have all paperwork filled out and if you have any ? about what you can and can't take into New Zealand it is best to take it with you so you don't have to go back. My sister bought some jerky to bring home so my family could try kangaroo, emu and crocodile. The kangaroo and croc. were ok but we couldn't take the emu into New Zealand. We either had to eat it, throw it away or give to the customs officials and they would mail it home. We elected to let them mail it. It took a couple of weeks after we got home but we did finally receive it. Also if you go to any wild animal parks or go hiking in the outback you will need to take or wear those shoes so they can check them to make sure you aren't taking anything into New Zealand that they don't want. ( like insects or other micro organisms) Both Australia and New Zealand have very strict regulations on what you can and can't take into their country.

Bakergal,

Thank you very much, that was very informative. Very interesting that NZ officials travel with us for that many days. Sheez, they must be thorough! Well, that's okay, at least it sounds like we won't be delayed in getting off the ship in Dunedin. Is there any kind of list of what food items you can't bring into New Zealand? Would hate to buy gifts to take back home and have to throw them away. Actually, I guess I need to reseach what cannot be brought back into the U.S. as well.

• 2 months later...

Back from our cruise and I do want to reitterate that both New Zealand and Australia are very zealous about what you bring in. Each port (and airport) has very cute beagles who go up and down the lines sniffing your purses, packages, backpacks, etc. for food (at least I think that's what they're sniffing for). Also allow extra time when disembarking in Auckland as once you get your luggage, you have to stand in line for a very thorough inspection by New Zealand officials. I was so paranoid about food and wood products, we didn't buy anything remotely related. Also when the New Zealand officials boarded the ship in Hobart, they didn't seem to care if you'd been to a zoo or wild animal park, they were only concerned if you'd been to a farm.

i agree australian customs are very particular even for packaged food like chocolate. You will be able to bring it in just have to declare it.

watch out for that apple or banana you may have taken off the ship for a snack. the custom dogs will find it.

another thing to be wary of is anything made of shells as well as wood items.

any thing that has once lived or can be eaten has to be declared

just declare anything you are not sure of, they will tell you if it ok or not

karon

We travelled last Nov.-Dec. Auckland to Sydney on Hal. The experiences we had going through customs in all the countries was just fine. They were all very thorough and treated us very nicely. They had the dogs out at some of the ports and maybe even all, but after a while you got use to them and didn't think anything of it. We had no bad experiences. We were asked about the farms but when we told them where we had been, it was no problem.

Archived