First time Solo

TheYearofMe

Hi all,

Some advice needed. Only a few weeks before my cruise it turns out that my traveling companion cannot come with me. I am trying in vain to find someone else to go with me. Everyone is working or has taken vacation already. It would be a free trip for anyone who could come with me. Darndest thing not to be able to find someone.

I need this vacation very badly and I am willing to go alone. Any tips will be very helpful. I am adventerous and I actually enjoy traveling alone. I find it is a great feeling to be on my own.

Are there singles meetings on the cruise? Are there activities geared toward solo travelers? I will be sailing on NCL Spirit.

Thanks,
Patti

On the cruise I went on (QM2 Transatlantic) there were no single or solo events, but everyone assigned to my table at dinner was a solo so it made a pleasant group to eat with. A lot of the events during the day were (lectures, shows, etc.) were ones in which there seemed to be a lot of people attending alone even if they were not traveling solo so I do not think you will have any trouble getting involved in ship activities whether you are traveling with someone or not. And, of course, alone time is no problem either. This board has a lot of information about the experiences of people who travel solo and I found a lot of the threads helpful. If you are used to/enjoy traveling solo, I think you will have no trouble at all cruising solo and will probably love it, as I did.

[quote name='TheYearofMe']Thanks for the advice. I really was looking forward to traveling alone until my TA informed me that I have to pay an extra 2500 for the priviledge. I am very disappointed.[/quote]

Hi Patti, I am totally misunderstanding this....I always sail
solo but I have my $$$ upfront......Your TA didn't tell you it
would be more?
Plus, what is 2500.00 extra?
I sail with Celebrity and they have a high supp...200%.
Example, cruise is 600.00 per person.....so I would
pay 1200.00.....but I always know the price before I book.
But there is not a giant amount on top of the 1200.00....

Your TA just told you it was an EXTRA 2500 bucks??
And you sail in 3 weeks?
Something is not right......you need to speak to your TA!

[quote name='TheYearofMe']Thanks for the advice. I really was looking forward to traveling alone until my TA informed me that I have to pay an extra 2500 for the priviledge. I am very disappointed.[/quote]

I am not understanding also. If the second fare is already paid, there should not be any additional charges. It would be as if the second person did not show up for the cruise and forfeited their fare. You would have the room to yourself. Also make sure that you remove the gratuities for the second person as that would still be charged to your room. You can do that at the purser's desk.

If I lived closer, I would offer to go. I am going solo on the Fantasy out of New Orleans on Nov 27th. There are plenty of activities onboard to keep me occupied.

Dave

Hi Patti,
I was on the Spirit less than a month ago (solo) and it was great.
If you still want someone to go with you e-mail me at [email]jplamondon2001@hotmail.com[/email] (a free cruise, WOW!).
If you prefer to go by yourself, I'm sure you will have a great time too.
There was a couple of single get-together on my last cruise but I didn't go since I figured some people were probably looking for more than I was (I was travelling solo but I am not single, my boyfriend couldn't come with me).
I hope to hear from you.
JP

Patti, something does not add up here. If your friend cancelled after final payment, he/she forfeits the cruise fare, especially if he/she cancelled within two weeks of departure. The only way to get that money back is if you had travel insurance and the reason for cancelling is covered by the insurance. The cruise line already has their money, so to them, it's just like the person is still cruising. Anyway, there should be no reason for you to have to pay anything extra if he/she cancelled after final payment. The cabin you booked and already paid for should not cost you any more---simple as that. BUT, if your friend cancelled before final payment, you're cruising as a single and will have to pay single supplement, which is usually 200% of the cruise fare. So, if your cabin cost $2500 per person, and the single supplement is 200%, then that's where the extra cost is for you. If your cabin is less than that amount, I have no idea where your TA came up with that $2500 fee. And remember, you only pay one port tax charge if you cruise alone.

[quote name='kitty9']Patti, something does not add up here. If your friend cancelled after final payment, he/she forfeits the cruise fare, especially if he/she cancelled within two weeks of departure. The only way to get that money back is if you had travel insurance and the reason for cancelling is covered by the insurance. The cruise line already has their money, so to them, it's just like the person is still cruising. Anyway, there should be no reason for you to have to pay anything extra if he/she cancelled after final payment. The cabin you booked and already paid for should not cost you any more---simple as that. BUT, if your friend cancelled before final payment, you're cruising as a single and will have to pay single supplement, which is usually 200% of the cruise fare. So, if your cabin cost $2500 per person, and the single supplement is 200%, then that's where the extra cost is for you. If your cabin is less than that amount, I have no idea where your TA came up with that $2500 fee. And remember, you only pay one port tax charge if you cruise alone.[/quote]

Hi Darcie, good to see you:)

Check out the other thread....Patti got some help
and also found someone to sail with her.

Hi Patti, I just got back from a solo to the Bahamas on the Dawn, was a great trip. I was able to sleep, read, eat and play when I wanted to and there were events for solos to participate in. An extra $2500. seems a bit steep unless you had booked an Owner's Suite or something? Good luck, Happy Sails to you...

Archived