Kenai Fjords Tour versum Renown Tour

LarryF

I'm sure this question has been around the boarads many times, but ...is there any advantages or disadvantages to Renown tours or Kenai Fjords tours for the Cruise tour of the Kenai Fjords? I am planning to use the toursaver coupon for this tour. I guess you can use the toursaver for any of the 6 hour tours on Renown but only on the 3pm tour on Kenai Fjords tours.

Thoughts?

We took the six hour tour with Renown last summer and loved it. They had heard about a pod of orca whales in the area and left their normal route to go looking for them, and we did get to see them! Also saw a couple of humpbacks, as well as seals, otters, and eagles. The viewing of the Aialik Glacier was awesome--much better than from a cruise ship! Plus the Toursaver coupon makes it a great value! If we are ever on Kenai Peninsula in the future, we would not hesitate to go with Renown again.

Kenai Fjords does offer many more times and options and they are the senior company in touring the Fjords.

Only the 3:00-9:00 Kenai Fjords cruise is available using the Toursaver coupon. So - would you choose that cruise at 3:00 or Renown's at 11:30?

I have gone with both companies, and with the toursaver coupon, certainly worthwhile to use. I do have a big prefernce for the Northwestern Fjords trips and most always take that, then take a toursaver trip as an add on. :)

Only the 3:00-9:00 Kenai Fjords cruise is available using the Toursaver coupon. So - would you choose that cruise at 3:00 or Renown's at 11:30?

It makes NO difference, each trip is unique and no way to predict what you are going to see. I have gone most often first morning trips. Great trips no matter when you go.

I"m thinking of taking the 3pm with Kenai Fjord tours since it includes dinner. We'll be taking this on May 28....is there any rule of thumb that would point to whether the waters would be calmer in the morning or late afternoon?

I"m thinking of taking the 3pm with Kenai Fjord tours since it includes dinner. We'll be taking this on May 28....is there any rule of thumb that would point to whether the waters would be calmer in the morning or late afternoon?

Dinner is similar to lunch. Usually chicken or halibut. So so at best. That's way down the priority list for me. :)

No way to predict the seas, you are likely to encounter rough sailing part of the trip. Preparation is the key if prone to motion sickness. I see sick passengers EVERY trip.

They usually have dinner in front of Holgate or Ailiak Glacier within a relatively protected fjord where the water is smooth. Nothing like eating halibut while looking at a glacier!

That sounds quite appealing - except for the halibut part! ;)

I'm thinking the 3-9 p.m. cruise would allow us more time to do other things in Seward than the 11:30-5:30 cruise - which is great for people taking the evening train to Anchorage. After all - what can you do before 11:30 a.m. or after 5:30 p.m. other than eat and shop?

That sounds quite appealing - except for the halibut part! ;)

I'm thinking the 3-9 p.m. cruise would allow us more time to do other things in Seward than the 11:30-5:30 cruise - which is great for people taking the evening train to Anchorage. After all - what can you do before 11:30 a.m. or after 5:30 p.m. other than eat and shop?

IF you are coming from Whittier- the 11:30am fits in well. If sailing into Seward- you most certainly can do plenty, get to Exit Glacier, the Sealife Center etc- you can be off the ship at 7am, plenty of time for activites before an 11:30am boat tour.

We enjoyed Renowns 6 hour cruise. The TourSaver coupon was an added bonus! The capt. had info relayed to him regarding a black bear sighting in an inlet so he went out of his way for us to view it. We saw many orcas, and sea-lions or seals, birds, AND one humpback besides spending some very 'quiet time' at the glacier (Aialik). the quiet was enforced by crew so we could enjoy not only the sights, but also the sounds of the glacier.

We found plenty to do the same day of sailing with Renown. Prior to sailing we enjoyed the SeaLife Center, following sailing we enjoyed Exit Glacier, then overnighted nearby in our rental RV.

I think most vendors require notice you're using the TourSaver coupon upon booking. Besides, you don't want the hassle of having your credit card charged if you're using the coupon.:)

Yeah, that makes sense, its just that I would like to reserve the tour but haven't quite decided if I want to purchase the Toursaver book. It depends on what else I would use it for

Yeah, that makes sense, its just that I would like to reserve the tour but haven't quite decided if I want to purchase the Toursaver book. It depends on what else I would use it for

You can make your reservations with the coupon, if you show up without one, they will just charge you then.

Each TS booklet is individually numbered. Of several coupons we used last year, Denali Cabin Nite was the only one to ask for the booklet number. I only had one TS at the time, with another one on order (family of 4) and was refused booking using the second book until I could give the number.

I was looking at the Alaska Forum at Trip Advisor, and there's a thread on the same topic: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k863741-Kenai_Fjords_National_Parks_Cruise_Renown_or_Major_Marine-Alaska.html

This hardly is valid since most have not gone with several companies and are not comparing, just stating they enjoyed the one they took. The bottom line here, is all three companies are well run and do a good job. The toursaver coupon is very worthwhile to use. If possible, go out twice if desired, I've done that a few times too. Every trip is different.

This hardly is valid since most have not gone with several companies and are not comparing, just stating they enjoyed the one they took.

Only 4 people responded to this thread who have been on any Kenai Fjords cruise. Of those - only you and Chenega have cruised with more than one company. There were 6 comments on the other thread. It never hurts to hear what people liked or didn't like about their experience - even if it's with only one company.

Archived