Confusion

riggrnr

Ok, we are geeting ready to go on our very 1st cruise in April. Caribbean Princess 04/22/07-04/29/06. And I am getting confused on the passport requirements. And also if I do not get a passport and only use my ID & b-certificate is that going to keep me from registering online or getting on and off at ports of call? I really don't want to have to get a passport if I am not sure I will ever need it agian, But I also do not want to have to stay on ship this whole cruie. Any suggestions:confused:

Also does anyne know what kind of innoculations may be required? We are going to the Eastern Caribbean.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Tammy

No need for a passport. Your birth certificate/driver's license combo will suffice for your cruise. You will be able to get on and off the ship, no problem. However, if for some reason (accident, mistake, delay, etc.) you end up missing the ship in one of the ports, you will not be able to fly back to the U.S. without a passport. So, it's up to you whether you're willing to take that risk. Frankly, since the passport is good for 10 years, I would get the passport. Are you certain that you won't be traveling abroad again for the next 10 years? Having the passport in the future will also make it a lot easier to take advantage of last-minute travel deals that require a passport.

No inoculations necessary for a cruise to the Caribbean.

Ok, we are geeting ready to go on our very 1st cruise in April. Caribbean Princess 04/22/07-04/29/06. And I am getting confused on the passport requirements. And also if I do not get a passport and only use my ID & b-certificate is that going to keep me from registering online or getting on and off at ports of call? I really don't want to have to get a passport if I am not sure I will ever need it agian, But I also do not want to have to stay on ship this whole cruie. Any suggestions:confused:

Also does anyne know what kind of innoculations may be required? We are going to the Eastern Caribbean.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Tammy

It won't hurt to get a passport, it will give you peace of mind.

We are doing Eastern Caribbean too - I have just had a tetanus booster, Typhoid and Hep A (never had them before) as they are recommended for Puerto Rico. I am probably being over cautious but these are both food borne diseases and I did not want to be restricted or worried about eating in port.

You will be told they are not REQUIRED probably, but RECOMMENDED.

riggrnr: The nice thing about having a passport is that you can travel virtually anywhere at a moment's notice. What if you won a trip to Paris? You could be packed and on a flight the same day if you wanted to. I think a passport is a great investment - even better for y'all in the US, because yours is valid for 10 years. Up here in the "frozen tundra" we have to get a new one every 5 years.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

you will not be able to fly back to the U.S. without a passport. So, it's up to you whether you're willing to take that risk.

I believe that one can return by air or ship to the US without a passport. However, it is a huge (with a capitol H) PIA. You would have to go to the nearest US conuslate, fill out the forms, jump through the hoops, get a passport (maybe it's a temporary or short term passport) then go to the airport, etc.

We are on our second 10 year passport now. Just wouldn't travel outside the US without it.

Did I miss somewhere that the Passport regulations changed. I thought they were required starting in 2007.

If it did change when are they required? Thanks!

Yes, it got pushed back. The current language for sea travel is that it "May" be required "as early as" January 1, 2008. HERE is the link to the State Department section on this topic.

Charlie

I believe that one can return by air or ship to the US without a passport. However, it is a huge (with a capitol H) PIA. You would have to go to the nearest US conuslate, fill out the forms, jump through the hoops, get a passport (maybe it's a temporary or short term passport) then go to the airport, etc.

As you said, assuming what you say is accurate, that's a huge PIA. I think it's better to just go on the assumption that you will need a passport in 2007 to fly back to the U.S. from the Caribbean.

Did I miss somewhere that the Passport regulations changed. I thought they were required starting in 2007.

If it did change when are they required? Thanks!

Here's the latest from the U.S. State Dept.:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Here's the pertinent info:

"The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

- In January 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

- As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries."

Notice that it still says "proposed". It seems that every time we turn around, Congress decides to change something about the policy. Best to just stay tuned. Better yet, get a passport and be prepared.

As you said, assuming what you say is accurate, that's a huge PIA. I think it's better to just go on the assumption that you will need a passport in 2007 to fly back to the U.S. from the Caribbean.
I completely agree that a passport is the way to go. It can be done the hard way without a passport. And, in a worst case scenario, it could take several days. But with a passport, a traveller just needs to get to the airport and purchase their ticket.

Also from the State Department web site: "Consuls issue approximately 200,000 passports abroad each year. Many of these are issued to persons whose current passports have expired. " They can and do issue passports. Again, it has to be soooo much easier to have one done in the US before you leave.

Charlie

I believe that one can return by air or ship to the US without a passport.

Airlines will not let you board the plane (actually get past the ticket counter) without a passport. The reason being is that if you are refuse entry into the US, then the Airline has to fly you back to the country you flew from originally at their expense.

Airlines will not let you board the plane (actually get past the ticket counter) without a passport. The reason being is that if you are refuse entry into the US, then the Airline has to fly you back to the country you flew from originally at their expense.

Sorry, I misstated my thought in the section that you quoted. What I intended to express was that it is possible for an American citizen to be left behind without a passport and still fly back to the US after going through the procedure of obtaining a passport through a US consulate in a foreign country. That's why the rest of the paragraph was an explaination of the difficulties involved in getting a passport if one decides to cruise with a birth certificate and photo ID.

You are correct that a passport is necessary for the flight.

Charlie

basically anywhere--apparently one can fly N. America w/o one these days.

NO you don't need one to cruise or get off the ship at ports next year.

YES you can get one from the consulate in an emergency...but that will take time.

Most of us CANNOT leave for Paris (or any other destination) at a moments notice. WISH I could....:p

Personally we are debating this same thing for our March cruise...if we play the odds, forget the passport, as is is HIGHLY unlikely that such an emergency would occur that would require us to have one.

And we NEVER had a single delay using DL/BC as ID on our 2 cruises, so I have never seen the value in the arguement that a passport is more convenient...

You decide...are you less comfortable coughing up the cash or less comfortable w/ the potential risk. It's up to you!

Happy cruising!

Kris

Hi first time cruiser here also. I called RCCL and asked about ID - they recommend passports, but said a DL/BC is okay for ID. For my own piece of mind, we paid the fees and got passports. From what I've read, and this has probably changed since I last read it, you'll need a passport to get in and out of Canada in the near future, and living in MI, we sometimes end up in Canada. So, we got them just so we have them. Have a great cruise!

Now I'm confused. We have always been told to lock the passports in the safe and DO NOT carry them off the ship in ports of call. How does this help?

I'm not sure where you've been given this advice, but it is definitely not a black and white, right or wrong, situation. There are pros and cons on both sides of this issue. Some people carry their passports; others don't. For an extensive discussion of this topic, check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427348

It may help you decide if you understand that the passports are now not required for entry into these Caribbean Islands. You want a passport to be guaranteed re-entry back into the US. For now, the BC/DL works, but after 1/08/07 (still the correct date :confused: , it has changed so many times :rolleyes: ) you need one to fly back to the US.

A definite pain if you have an emergency. So, right now it's like insurance, you only need it when you need it and if you need it and don't have it, you're screwed.

Archived