Santiago airport fee

jeanb

Could anyone who has recently flown into Chile tell me if they will accept credit cards to pay the $100 per person fee. If, only cash can you use $50 or $100 bills?

Last year, January, there was separate line for credit cards. If paying in cash, I would have 20's.

Yes, there is a separate line to pay for credit card, but I would bring cash just in case there is a problem with the credit card system that day or the line is way too long. I just think it's easier with cash. As others have said, make sure the cash is in good shape. We used $100.00 bills just to keep it easier. But, if the bill is very worn or torn they won't accept it so bring cash in good condition.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

And, after you exit the plane and walk for a while, you will go down an esculator. Immediately at the bottom, turn left and you will see five windows to pay the fee. If you fail to pay before immigration, immigration will tell you to return to the windows to pay the fee. Last April, each window that was open accepted credit cards.

If you've done this...did you get stuck with the fee? We have a stop-over, plane change on our way to Buenos Aires. (won't be leaving the airport..and bags are supposedly checked through). Although the airline says no...somehow I bet we do. What's the truth. Also same deal in Lima...plane change there too on the way back....do we get stuck for their fee also?:rolleyes:

While doing research for my cruise last January, the following was the only information I was able to find regarding the entry fee. I thought I heard that some (all?) European countries do not have to pay, or only pay a very small amount, but I'm not totally sure. Perhaps you could check with the Chilean Consulate in your country and see if they can answer your question.

On arrival at the Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Santiago:

· If you are the the holder of a US, Canadian, Australian, or Mexican passport, and this is your first visit to Chile, you must first pay the corresponding "one-time" entry fee (US$ 100, $US 55, $US 30, and $US 15, in cash, respectively) at a counter to your left as you enter the passport control area. The official in charge of receiving this fee will affix a stamp on the back of your passport; this stamp should be valid until the passport expires.

· Then continue to "Policia Internanciónal" where you should present your passport, and completed "tourist card". The immigration official, will stamp your passport and the form; be sure to attach the stamped tourist card to your passport and safeguard it as it is required upon your departure.

Archived