Favorite Souvenir from a Cruise

bepsf

Easiest question of 2006

a final bill that had a credit balance:eek:

think that happened around 1998 (could have been 1999):)

never let that happen again:D

:D :D You win, Sea King. That's great@!!##@#@#@

I agree, framing costs really add up. I wait until Hobby Lobby has a half-price sale. My favorite prints are of local people by Leo Carty from the Virgin Islands craft shop on the square in St. Thomas and by "The Yoda Guy" in St. Maarten. On my last trip, at the Ocean Center on Maui, I found a stunning photo of a full moon, lava and the steam as it hits the ocean.

(PS, Rustaroo, if you are reading this, your lava photos are equally gorgeous!!)

Brian I am also very sorry to hear of your loss. Its tough.

This last cruise Statendam back to back Alaska/Vancouver to Auckland, I decided I wanted a necklace and in my mind I had a very good idea what I would like and felt sure I would find in USA. The amber necklace in Alaska at $US600 was just too over the top for me. I searched but did not find. Coming back to NZ our last port day was at Mt. Maunganui, and guess what, on some stalls that people had put up near the port I found my necklace, a beautiful handmade jobbie with all the colours I wanted and all for less than $NZ50. Got to be a moral in the story somewhere. :D

My favorite "souvenir" is my beloved husband, whom I met on the Ryndam. :D

I use him every day, and he still looks new. ;)

lol, I guess I could say this also, only I took a ship all the way from NZ to UK to find my perfect souvenir in London, 42 years later, he also still looks new ;)

I'm always on the look-out for "local beer" logo t-shirts.... got Belikin (Belize), Hinanao (Bora Bora), Presidente (Dominican), and Gallo (Guatemala). I MIGHT have one from Honduras, but the name escapes me.

Some of the logos are so bright and colorful! And you rarely see anybody else walking around with the same T-Shirt! (That's what I'll be buying in a couple of weeks for Christmas presents) :)

Brian - First of all, Carey and I want to express our sincere sympathies at the loss of your friend. We hope the ring continues to keep him close for you.

As for collecting souvenirs.....other than my wife's jewelry box being well feed....we've slowly but surely gravitated toward buying a piece or two of local art at almost every stop. Sometimes, actually most of the time, it's a small painting, watercolor, or ink drawing from a local artist. Sometimes it is a local handcrafted item like a basket or wood carving. Our home office is slowly but surely becoming our cruise haven with filled with items that remind us of our great travels. :)

My favorite souvenirs are Christmas ornaments purchased in Ports of Call (and on the ships). Every year as I put them on the tree we relive the memories of our travels. I can't wait to hang the ones we got our our Alaska trip this past May. I also have a bright colour full cloth in my kitchen from Guatemala, everytime I look at it I remember the tiny little woman who sold it to me. I was so happy with the colors, I didn't even bargain with her for the price. The money probably fed her family for a month, but it was a souvenir I will cherish forever.

...I also have a bright colour full cloth in my kitchen from Guatemala, everytime I look at it I remember the tiny little woman who sold it to me. I was so happy with the colors, I didn't even bargain with her for the price...

I felt the same about my purchase there--

---the lady was asking $20 and my friends said "Oh, you can probably get it for half that" but I didnt have the heart to bargain w/ her.

Other than your HAL tiles and plates and totebags and photographs, of course...

;)

I have a woven textile that I use as a runner on my dining table that I found in Guatemala on my first cruise aboard Oosterdam, and a huge conch shell in my guest bathroom that I bought on the pier in Nassau from my Opera cruise - I enjoy looking at these every day.

But my favorites are a pair of amber cufflinks that I found in Sitka on my Amsterdam cruise (I buy french-cuff shirts now just so I can wear them), and a sapphire and diamond ring set in white gold that my pal Joe (who died this past week from colon cancer) bought aboard Oosterdam on our first cruise and gifted to me the following Christmas.

...what are your favorite souvenirs from your cruises?

sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I feel I know you since you are a frequently poster on the board and I always enjoy your postings. You have a very honest way of responding to the posters, without being harsh or overly zealous. colon cancer is such a horrible killer...and we all should be more informed about the warning signs. so take care of yourself and have regular screenings.

Brian first let me say I am sorry about your friend.

When we were on the last cruise the old Westerdam made they were auctioning off the plaques on the walls of the ship and I was lucky enough to purchase the one they received from Skagway Alaska on the first cruise they made to that port.

emmylou

Brian first let me say I am sorry about your friend.

When we were on the last cruise the old Westerdam made they were auctioning off the plaques on the walls of the ship and I was lucky enough to purchase the one they received from Skagway Alaska on the first cruise they made to that port.

emmylou

Now that's a keeper, Emmylou, good for you!!:) Great souvenier and a once in a lifetime opportunity!!

sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I feel I know you since you are a frequently poster on the board and I always enjoy your postings. You have a very honest way of responding to the posters, without being harsh or overly zealous. colon cancer is such a horrible killer...and we all should be more informed about the warning signs. so take care of yourself and have regular screenings.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Yes, it was rather awful for him - and he was just my age (41) so the Dr's thought he was way to young to even screen for that much less consider it a possibility before it was discovered. *They thought he had a bad stomach virus and put him on some medications prior to the Alaska cruise that kept him from drinking and in misery most of the trip - so by time he was properly diagnosed after our return, he was already at stage 4...

...not the best memory from that cruise, I'm afraid.

:(

I also collect Christmas ornaments from every vacation / cruise.:rolleyes:

It makes putting the tree up every year very special. Lots of fun memories! I also keep our cruise photo albums out where we look at them offten.

I have a gold charm bracelet that I have purchased a gold charm from most of our travels and wear it regularly. I love it when someone asks about it. I can relive every trip!:D

Brian, I am also so sorry for your loss.

Teri

Our most cherished souvenir was a piece of art we purchased at an art auction on board the Carnival Liberty while we were sailing the Mediterranean last September. There is a long hilarious story that I won't bore you with about the purchase but my husband was very pleased with his purchase until we were leaving the lounge where the auction was taking place and they handed everyone a gift for attending the auction and it was a smaller version of the picture he had just purchased. Never laughed so hard in our life. All the champagne we consumed had something to do with it. "Veronique" travelled all across Italy with us after the cruise, missed our connecting flight and was hand delivered by Air Canada two days after we got home and now hangs in a place of honour in our living room. Everything time we look at her we laugh and we remember all the fun we had on the ship.

Archived