What to do 2 days driving from Seward to Denali?

LarryF

I booked our Alaskan Leopard 4-hour shuttle for next June using the Toursaver coupon, and it arrives in Anchorage at 12:45 p.m. That's not too late if one wants to pick-up a rental car and drive to Seward (or anywhere else, for that matter) that day. Personally, I'm looking forward to the commentary and the sightseeing stops along the way, because I KNOW we wouldn't be stopping if we were driving. If one is going to make those stops along the Arm any way - what difference does it make if you take a speedy shuttle to Anchorage and a long drive to Seward, rather than a long shuttle to Anchorage and a more direct drive to Seward?

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. The Arm IS for stopping, it has pull offs every few miles. If there are sheep viewable, I'm going to stop and LOOK, same with belugas, or anything else for that matter. I drive this road several times when I am there- yes backtracking, since I allow the time. EVERY time there is a reason to stop and look.

I too thank everybody so much for all the information you have provided to me! I can't wait to "pay it forward" when we return from our trip and pass on our information to others!

Here's another question...Would it be possible to take the MICA Glacier Trek in Mantanuska on the same day we leave Seward (not sure of driving distance) and then drive to Talkeetna after the Trek? The MICA website doesn't list the times of their Treks for 2007. The reason is that I would like to spend 2 nights at the Talkeetna Chalet B&B if possible. Otherwise will stick to the plan and stay at Sheep Mountain Lodge one night and Talkeetna Chalet B&B the other night.....

Thanks,

Larry

I would say no, you are looking at at least 5 hours of driving. The Seward Highway can be bogged down with traffic, you can not count on always 55+++mph driving. I would overnight in Anchorage the night before, you can leave later out of Seward perhaps??

2 nights in Talkeetna is a LOT of time, 1 night is always enough for me. So no, I would not plan on this as a day trip, stay at Sheep Mt. As a suggestion only, I would not consider any glacier hike of less than 4 hours, simply not enough time on the glacier with any shorter.

I would say no, you are looking at at least 5 hours of driving. The Seward Highway can be bogged down with traffic, you can not count on always 55+++mph driving. I would overnight in Anchorage the night before, you can leave later out of Seward perhaps??

2 nights in Talkeetna is a LOT of time, 1 night is always enough for me. So no, I would not plan on this as a day trip, stay at Sheep Mt. As a suggestion only, I would not consider any glacier hike of less than 4 hours, simply not enough time on the glacier with any shorter.

So, after 2 nights in Seward, I will plan to make our way up to Sheep Mountain Lodge. Since we will be backtracking to Anchorage, what sites or activities would you suggest we do between Anchorage and Sheep Mountain Lodge? How far is Hatcher Pass from Sheep Mountain if we wanted to take that drive (if the roads are clear)?

Thanks,

Larry

So, after 2 nights in Seward, I will plan to make our way up to Sheep Mountain Lodge. Since we will be backtracking to Anchorage, what sites or activities would you suggest we do between Anchorage and Sheep Mountain Lodge? How far is Hatcher Pass from Sheep Mountain if we wanted to take that drive (if the roads are clear)?

Thanks,

Larry

About 5 1/2 hours Seward/Sheep Mt. with a few brief stops. Hatcher Pass is an hour from Anchorage, entrance at Palmer. You need to allow a couple hours for that drive. So plan accordingly.

Archived