What to do 2 days driving from Seward to Denali?

LarryF

Here's my itinerary so far...need help filling the blanks.

May 26 - Dock in Whittier. Take Leopard Shuttle to Anchorage. P/U rental car. Sightsee. Overnight in Anchorge Holiday Inn (using points).

May 27 - Drive to Seward. Sightsee Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier, etc. Overnight in Seward Holiday Inn (using points)

May 28 - Sightsee. Kenai fjords tour. Overnight in Seward at Holiday Inn (using points)

May 29 - Drive North (suggestions for sightseeing, lodging, etc.?)

May 30 - Drive North (suggestions for sightseeing, lodging, etc.?)

May 31 - Sightsee Denali area, possible flight seeing or rafting. Overnight in Denali area (suggested Lodging?)

June 1 - Shuttle into Denali as far as possible. Overnight in Denali area (suggested Lodging))

June 2 - Drive to Anchorage and fly home.

Alaskan Leopard is nice if you don't have much sightseeing opportunities prior to departure from the airport, but with the time you have, perhaps reconsider taking a 1 hour bus/shuttle rather than the 4 hour tour/transfer by Alaskan Leopard? You'll backtrack in your vehicle most of the way by going to Seward from Anchorage and can take stops of your own preference and timing. You mention returning to Portage with your rental anyway.

Although we enjoyed the transfer, I think it's a bit misleading on the website that you'll be entertained by several comedians. While 'cute', it's on DVD and segments are shown onscreen during your transfer. The scenery holds my attention much more than any 'comedy', though the driver was nice, personable and humorous.

Is the one-way rental option from Whittier not up for consideration?

I realize I've strayed from your original question...:)

There are plenty of things in and around Anchorage to keep you busy, order a visitor guide from there and the Mat-Su Valley. We enjoyed the Independence Mine (nice to walk/hike, though the buildings themselves won't yet open for the season). Another place we'd've liked to visit but just didn't make it was the Eklutna spirit houses.

http://www.travelalaska.com/Regions/CommunityDetail.aspx?RegionID=30&aID=4&LocationID=194&PageTitle=Eklutna

The glacier hike you previously consider also looks to be a fun adventure.

Talkeetna is a unique little town to spend a bit of time. TourSaver has rafting/jetboating offerings in the area if you're thinking about purchasing one of them, along with flightseeing coupons.

It shouldn't take long for you to get those 2 days filled in with sightseeing and activites! If nothing else, don't over-plan, and just enjoy the ability to stop for whatever grabs your attention. A friend traveling with us wanted to go to a transportation museum just out of Wasilla, but he felt there was too much to do it too little time. Too bad he didn't just stop, and enjoy browsing through it. We certainly didn't mind, but he just couldn't 'relax' knowing we had somewhere to 'be' that evening.

Have fun planning.

I too don't suggest wasting your "transfer" day with hours not necessary. If you head stright to Seward, and skip Anchorage at that time, you can get in 2 days at Homer, which will offer more variety and some great touring. I do advocate a costly one way rental from Avia Whittier/Anchorage. So as a sample itinerary

Whittier- drive to Seward- touring, overnight, Kenai Fjords boat tour in the am. Head to Homer late afternoon. 2 overnights. May 29- head north to Anchorage or Palmer?? Depending on your timing and what time you start. Plenty of time for the Portage Glacier visitor Center, sightseeing along the Arm, some Anchorage activities - if of interest?? 5-30- Eklutna Spirit House tour, Eagle River Nature Center, Palmer Musk Ox farm, Wasilla Sled dog museum, all this stuff is short- an hour, except depending on how in depth at the Nature Center. Get to Talkeetna for an overnight. pm flightseeing, as back up- next am?? 5-31 drive to Denali Park- Alaska state parks along the way with hiking, Little Coal Creek is great. :) Can do a pm tour at Denali Park, make the 4pm dog sled demo if on the schedule?? But do get to the visitor center for scheduled activities perhaps?? June 1 shuttle to Fish Creek.

http://www.akms.com/htguide/

http://www.kenaipeninsula.com

If Homer isn't of interest?? Then perhaps add in your Sheep Mt. overnight and a Matanuska Glacier hike. You certainly have time, if you route efficiently.

Here's my itinerary so far...need help filling the blanks.

May 26 - Dock in Whittier. Take Leopard Shuttle to Anchorage. P/U rental car. Sightsee. Overnight in Anchorge Holiday Inn (using points).

May 27 - Drive to Seward. Sightsee Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier, etc. Overnight in Seward Holiday Inn (using points)

May 28 - Sightsee. Kenai fjords tour. Overnight in Seward at Holiday Inn (using points)

May 29 - Drive North (suggestions for sightseeing, lodging, etc.?)

May 30 - Drive North (suggestions for sightseeing, lodging, etc.?)

May 31 - Sightsee Denali area, possible flight seeing or rafting. Overnight in Denali area (suggested Lodging?)

June 1 - Shuttle into Denali as far as possible. Overnight in Denali area (suggested Lodging))

June 2 - Drive to Anchorage and fly home.

Quick question for you, did you have any problems using your Priority Club points at the Holiday Inn in Seward? Do they have a limit as to how many nights you could apply points? We are thinking of staying in Seward in '08 and using our points as well for Holiday Inn. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Quick question for you, did you have any problems using your Priority Club points at the Holiday Inn in Seward? Do they have a limit as to how many nights you could apply points? We are thinking of staying in Seward in '08 and using our points as well for Holiday Inn. Thanks in advance for your reply.

We're also using Priority Club points for 2 nights in Seward next June. I know that the availability of free nights is capacity controlled, but don't know if there's a limit on number of free nights you can book. Reserve early!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. BQ, the one way rental is just not an option for me due to my financial situation. I do like your itinerary of going to Homer and wondered if it would be too much to forego the overnight stay in Anchorage after picking up the rental car on the 26th and drive back to Seward that same day?

Regarding the Holiday Inn...actually, I only had a little over 10,000 points and was going to use them for one night in Seward; however, it appears you have to stay 2 nights to be able to use the points. So, I came up with the idea to buy 20,000 points for $200, giving me a total of a little over 30,000 points. I then used 10,000 for one night in Anchorage and 2 nights in Seward. That way my average cost for the three nights is only $66!

We too are using our Priority Points for two nights in Seward and two nights in Anchorage. Both my husband and I had a few points, and needed to purchase more ($216) for three of the nights.

There is a limit of 20,000 points that you can purchase in a year and we were short points for the 4th night so I applied for their Visa card, receiving 15,000 points, and used them. There was no fee for the first year of the Visa card, after that $29 a year, which isn't bad compared to others. (plus we got a $20 credit off our first bill)

One thing to look for when reserving a room at the Anchorage Holiday Inn is both the room with a whirlpool tub and the room without the whirlpool tub is 10,000 points. (that is if you would like a whirlpool tub)

At Denali we reserved two nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy. We will have a rental car so the 10 mile distance from the parks isn't a problem. We chose this place because of the great reviews and the price is as posted on their website. (They also have Jacuzzi bathtub/showers in a few rooms)

http://www.denalilakeview.com/rooms.htm

We are now trying Priceline for two nights at a 4 star hotel in Vancouver after our cruise next August.

This is the greatest website for information. With it I am able to plan our pre-cruise land tour and realize great savings.

Sorry I got off topic. I see your question was "What to do in two days driving from Seward to Denali"

We too are using our Priority Points for two nights in Seward and two nights in Anchorage. Both my husband and I had a few points, and needed to purchase more ($216) for three of the nights.

There is a limit of 20,000 points that you can purchase in a year and we were short points for the 4th night so I applied for their Visa card, receiving 15,000 points, and used them. There was no fee for the first year of the Visa card, after that $29 a year, which isn't bad compared to others. (plus we got a $20 credit off our first bill)

One thing to look for when reserving a room at the Anchorage Holiday Inn is both the room with a whirlpool tub and the room without the whirlpool tub is 10,000 points. (that is if you would like a whirlpool tub)

At Denali we reserved two nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn in Healy. We will have a rental car so the 10 mile distance from the parks isn't a problem. We chose this place because of the great reviews and the price is as posted on their website. (They also have Jacuzzi bathtub/showers in a few rooms)

http://www.denalilakeview.com/rooms.htm

We are now trying Priceline for two nights at a 4 star hotel in Vancouver after our cruise next August.

This is the greatest website for information. With it I am able to plan our pre-cruise land tour and realize great savings.

Sorry I got off topic. I see your question was "What to do in two days driving from Seward to Denali"

Thanks for this information. I did use the points to get the room with the whirlpool in Anchorage and also used the points in Seward to get the Harbor View Room. I just applied for the Holiday Inn CC and might use the points for our 1 night in Vancouver.

I also have a message in to the Denali Lakeview Inn. There have been lot's of good reviews on this board about the Inn.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. BQ, the one way rental is just not an option for me due to my financial situation. I do like your itinerary of going to Homer and wondered if it would be too much to forego the overnight stay in Anchorage after picking up the rental car on the 26th and drive back to Seward that same day?

Regarding the Holiday Inn...actually, I only had a little over 10,000 points and was going to use them for one night in Seward; however, it appears you have to stay 2 nights to be able to use the points. So, I came up with the idea to buy 20,000 points for $200, giving me a total of a little over 30,000 points. I then used 10,000 for one night in Anchorage and 2 nights in Seward. That way my average cost for the three nights is only $66!

Your savings isn't going to be that great, with adding in the shuttle costs to Anchorage. I understand the drop fee is $125?? As another suggestion, get this one way car for only as long as you need it, then turn it in in Anchorage for a round trip car before heading north. If you continue with your Anchorage car pick up, I do suggest you get the earliest transportation you can so to be back on the road for an early afternoon arrival in Seward. Otherwise, essentially are only going to have time for the boat trip, since you would need to leave Seward the next day in the late afternoon for Homer.

This is only a suggestion, but makes the best use of time for a varied trip.

Budget Queen, what a great suggestion to just rent one way from Avis for part of the time.

I priced Avis from Anchorage to Whittier from Aug 14-20 and it was just under $800. Enterprise, picking it up in Anchorage and dropping it off in Anchorage, is $308 for the same dates, then we would need to pay $128 for two on the Anchorage to Whittier train.(South bound cruise)

I just reserved a car from Avis, picking it up on the 20th at 9 am and returning it to Whitter at 6 pm on the 20th, for $230. Even though this will cost us $100 more than taking the train I think it will be more convient, being able to do a little more site seeing in Anchorage and driving to Whittier when we want to. (May husband will think I am crazy to turn in the Enterprise car on the 20th and then picking up the Avis car)

Thanks again Budget Queen, also Larry, Nancy, and many more with helpful advise

Thanks for this information. I did use the points to get the room with the whirlpool in Anchorage and also used the points in Seward to get the Harbor View Room. I just applied for the Holiday Inn CC and might use the points for our 1 night in Vancouver.

I also have a message in to the Denali Lakeview Inn. There have been lot's of good reviews on this board about the Inn.

I thought about booking the Holiday Inn in Vancouver, and the recent reviews are pretty good, but it seems to be out of the way and we don't plan to rent a car.

Plus I found this in one of the reviews

"In some parts, Hastings Street is a haven for homeless, druggies and working women, etc. But none of them bothered us."

I read a couple of people booking the Blue Horizon and the Hampton. I want to book something I can cancel if needed and try for a 4 star hotel on Priceline.

I have already rented a car from Hertz for $264 for seven days picking it up in Anchorage on 5/26 and turning it in on 6/2. I checked on line with Avis to rent a one way car from Whittier on 5/26 so we could drive directly to Seward and then on to Homer before returing it to Anchorage on 5/30 and swapping it for another car to use round trip to Denali and return back to Anchorage on 6/2. The one way rental for 5/26 to 5/30 is $525. The round trip for 5/30 to 6/2 is $195, which makes the total $720! That's $456 more than I'm paying now for my current rental. I don't know how much the hour shuttle is to Anchorage to pick up the car, but I can't imagine it would lower the difference of $456 very much.

If I do decide to forego the 4 hour Leopard shuttle, where can I find the hour shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage?

Thanks,

Larry

If I do decide to forego the 4 hour Leopard shuttle, where can I find the hour shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage?

The cruiseline transfer would be a good bet to get your out of Whittier ASAP. Anchorage also has a couple of limo services... Aurora is one that comes to mind. You can google Anchorage and transfers. One was recently listed here as having problems... I'll see if I can find that thread.

Also... are you renting your car from the airport or downtown? Taxes/fees will be less downtown than at the airport.

If you do take Alaskan Leopard, unless you wish to take the short cruise on the lake, you won't need to backtrack to Portage Glacier. Plenty of time is given by Alaskan Leopard for enjoying the visitor center... just not the glacier cruise.

I booked our Alaskan Leopard 4-hour shuttle for next June using the Toursaver coupon, and it arrives in Anchorage at 12:45 p.m. That's not too late if one wants to pick-up a rental car and drive to Seward (or anywhere else, for that matter) that day. Personally, I'm looking forward to the commentary and the sightseeing stops along the way, because I KNOW we wouldn't be stopping if we were driving. If one is going to make those stops along the Arm any way - what difference does it make if you take a speedy shuttle to Anchorage and a long drive to Seward, rather than a long shuttle to Anchorage and a more direct drive to Seward?

I booked our Alaskan Leopard 4-hour shuttle for next June using the Toursaver coupon, and it arrives in Anchorage at 12:45 p.m. That's not too late if one wants to pick-up a rental car and drive to Seward (or anywhere else, for that matter) that day. Personally, I'm looking forward to the commentary and the sightseeing stops along the way, because I KNOW we wouldn't be stopping if we were driving. If one is going to make those stops along the Arm any way - what difference does it make if you take a speedy shuttle to Anchorage and a long drive to Seward, rather than a long shuttle to Anchorage and a more direct drive to Seward?

Because, personally, I want to stop when I want, where I want, and stay as long or as little as I want. We had friends with us, departing from Ted Stevens at 10pm the night of disembarkation and our RV wasn't ready until 2pm, so it worked out well for us and them to take Alaskan Leopard. They saw some highlights, and we plenty of time prior to RV pickup. However, had we been planning a car rental, I most certainly would've opted to get the car ASAP, and use the time to see what I wanted, in the time frame I chose.

For example. Portage Glacier, Alaskan Leopard has a 1 hour stop. Just under the time needed for a Portage Glacier cruise. During our stop with Alaskan Leopard, after 30 minutes, we'd seen what we wanted of the visitors center and were ready to go, yet it wasn't a long enough time to take the excursion. Had I been in my own car (rental) I'd've chosen to spend a little time in the visitor center, and take glacier cruise using our TourSaver. However, since we'd been to Portage with Alaskan Leopard and already spent an hour there, we didn't want to go back just for the cruise once we did have the RV.

You statement that 'you KNOW you wouldn't be stopping if you're driving' especially puzzles me... Why wouldn't you stop at points of interest if you'd like??? That's the whole idea of an independent land tour!!!:)

I'm not knockin' Alaskan Leopard... they offer a wonderful option for those who are traveling home immediately following disembarkation, or heading to Denali without spending more time south of Anchorage. However, I strongly stand by my opinion that if a car is waiting for you, and your time is limited, get it picked up ASAP, and enjoy your time, your way!

You statement that 'you KNOW you wouldn't be stopping if you're driving' especially puzzles me... Why wouldn't you stop at points of interest if you'd like??? That's the whole idea of an independent land tour!!!:)

I'm not knockin' Alaskan Leopard... they offer a wonderful option for those who are traveling home immediately following disembarkation, or heading to Denali without spending more time south of Anchorage. However, I strongly stand by my opinion that if a car is waiting for you, and your time is limited, get it picked up ASAP, and enjoy your time, your way!

I'm generally not one to stop and get out a bunch of times on a drive, but that's just me. (I made the drive through RMNP in about 90 minutes - whereas most people take about 3 hours.) I'm all for doing things on one's own timetable, and the Leopard tour fits ours very well. I like the idea of getting a tour and having someone else do the driving at times - which is why we're also doing a rail/bus excursion in Skagway rather than renting a car and driving ourselves. Our rental car won't be waiting for us until the next day, so we have sightseeing plans in Anchorage after our Leopard shuttle. We're not going to Seward until the following week, so a rental car out of Whittier wasn't even under consideration.

Larry has already pointed out the price difference between picking up the rental car in Whittier vs. in Anchorage. Some people may not mind spending hundreds of dollars more for the few hours of time saved. I'm not one of them, and it sounds like Larry isn't either. Whether he takes a 90-minute shuttle to Anchorage with stops on the drive to Seward, or a 4-hour shuttle with fewer stops on the drive - he will probably arrive in Seward about the same time. He will spend half as much taking the Alaskan Leopard shuttle than if he takes the ship's transfer because of the Toursaver coupon, and he'll get a nice tour along the way.

Ok ...everyone calm down...LOL! Don't get into a fuss over little ole me!

Actually, I've decided to do the Leopard tour to Anchorage and spend the rest of the day sightseeing in Anchorage and stay overnight. Being it's our first time in AK, I like the ideas of having a tour guide for our first outing. Will be driving back to Seward next day and won't bother again with Portage Glacier stop.

We'll stay in Seward two days sightseeing and taking the 3pm Kenai Fjords cruise tour. On day 3, we'll drive up to Mantanuska for the Glacier Trek and stay overnight at the Sheep Mountain Lodge. Next day we will drive to Taleetna and take the summit flight to the mountain (weather permitting!). Not sure yet where we'll stay in Talkeetna (suggestions welcome). Then it's on to Denali for two days staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn. Rafting and other activities on 1st day and shuttle as far as we can into Denali on day 2.

It's so nice when the plan finally starts to come together!

Actually, I've decided to do the Leopard tour to Anchorage and spend the rest of the day sightseeing in Anchorage and stay overnight. Being it's our first time in AK, I like the ideas of having a tour guide for our first outing. Will be driving back to Seward next day and won't bother again with Portage Glacier stop.

We'll stay in Seward two days sightseeing and taking the 3pm Kenai Fjords cruise tour. On day 3, we'll drive up to Mantanuska for the Glacier Trek and stay overnight at the Sheep Mountain Lodge. Next day we will drive to Taleetna and take the summit flight to the mountain (weather permitting!). Not sure yet where we'll stay in Talkeetna (suggestions welcome). Then it's on to Denali for two days staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn. Rafting and other activities on 1st day and shuttle as far as we can into Denali on day 2.

Larry, your plan sounds just fine to me! What's important is that it's what you want to do, and you seem pretty happy with it.

If you don't mind more B&B's - the Talkeetna Chalet B&B gets good reviews: http://www.talkeetnachalet.com

If you don't mind "rustic" - there's the Talkeetna Roadhouse: http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/

If you want luxury - there's the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge: http://www.talkeetnalodge.com/

Haha... I'm not fussin' in the least.:)

I just think it's worth thowing out options for consideration. I've taken the Alaskan Leopard transfer, the train, rented a car and RV'd in the area. I'm no expert by any means, but I know a bit more than I did when I was just researching, and wanted to share my thoughts from my own experience for your consideration. Anyway, for what it's worth, you have my two cents.

Alaskan Leopard is a nice choice for transfer... we took it, also, when it was the best option for our group. It just depends on how you wish to use your time.:) Since it is in the TourSaver for 2007, it is that much more attractive.

I hope your trip works out well for YOU. You and your family are the only ones to please... not us! These boards aren't for argument, but for sharing ideas to help others plan the best Alaskan trip!

Haha... I'm not fussin' in the least.:)

I just think it's worth thowing out options for consideration. I've taken the Alaskan Leopard transfer, the train, rented a car and RV'd in the area. I'm no expert by any means, but I know a bit more than I did when I was just researching, and wanted to share my thoughts from my own experience for your consideration. Anyway, for what it's worth, you have my two cents.

Alaskan Leopard is a nice choice for transfer... we took it, also, when it was the best option for our group. It just depends on how you wish to use your time.:) Since it is in the TourSaver for 2007, it is that much more attractive.

I hope your trip works out well for YOU. You and your family are the only ones to please... not us! These boards aren't for argument, but for sharing ideas to help others plan the best Alaskan trip!

I just want you to know that I really do appreciate all the info you have shared on this board. If I choose not to follow the suggestions you and others have given - please don't take it personally. Ultimately the final decisions rest with us, and if we (mostly me) make an unwise travel decision, then we alone are to blame.

I too thank everybody so much for all the information you have provided to me! I can't wait to "pay it forward" when we return from our trip and pass on our information to others!

Here's another question...Would it be possible to take the MICA Glacier Trek in Mantanuska on the same day we leave Seward (not sure of driving distance) and then drive to Talkeetna after the Trek? The MICA website doesn't list the times of their Treks for 2007. The reason is that I would like to spend 2 nights at the Talkeetna Chalet B&B if possible. Otherwise will stick to the plan and stay at Sheep Mountain Lodge one night and Talkeetna Chalet B&B the other night.....

Thanks,

Larry

I too thank everybody so much for all the information you have provided to me! I can't wait to "pay it forward" when we return from our trip and pass on our information to others!

Here's another question...Would it be possible to take the MICA Glacier Trek in Mantanuska on the same day we leave Seward (not sure of driving distance) and then drive to Talkeetna after the Trek? The MICA website doesn't list the times of their Treks for 2007. The reason is that I would like to spend 2 nights at the Talkeetna Chalet B&B if possible. Otherwise will stick to the plan and stay at Sheep Mountain Lodge one night and Talkeetna Chalet B&B the other night.....

Thanks,

Larry

You can drive from Seward to the Matanuska area and maybe get there in time for the 2:00 trek (check-in 30 minutes before) - but you'd have to leave Seward quite early. (The "midnight trek" at 6:00 doesn't start until June.) I'd allow at least 6 hours for the drive. So no - you probably wouldn't want to drive 3-4 hours more to go to Talkeetna after that.

Archived