Pan Am Pier Question - Alcohol

San10s

I have boarded Princess ships several times in the past (most recently the Golden in February 2005) and know that there is a small store that sells beverages once inside the terminal building. If I remember correctly, it is after your bags have been scanned.

I have some questions that maybe someone who has been there in the last couple of weeks can answer or maybe someone leaving in the next few weeks can check it out and bring back some answers.

* Is the store still there?

* Can you still buy soda of any kind? If so, what kind is available?

* Can you buy bottled water to bring on the ship?

* Do they still sell beer? If so, what brands?

* Do they still carry a pretty good selection of alcohol like Bailey's, Jack Daniels and other name brands or is it limited to mostly Barcardi products?

* Was wine available?

I am really hoping to limit having to carry any of this stuff on a plane. I much rather buy it there. :)

Thanks for any information in advance. :D

Judy:D

I was on the transition cruise down to the Caribbean on the Crown a few weeks ago which ended in San Juan at the Pan American. It was a nightmare waiting for hours on end to get off the ship but I did notice that there was a liquor store inside the terminal building. It looked exactly like the liquor store in the other terminal that Princess used to use and RCCL and Carnival still do. I did not go in the store but I would guess that they have everything the one in the other terminal has. Sorry I can't be more help.

We were on the Crown 11/4 sailing and this is what I recall:

The store is BEFORE you scan your bags. It's directly across from the ticket agent counters of check-in.

Beer was not available (that I know for sure because my husband was specifically looking)

Wine was very limited as was champagne

Other hard liquors, they seem to carry a good selection

I don't recall seeing water or soda but then really wasn't looking

They did have Rum Punch, Colada's etc as free samples when you first came into the check-in stations (which was quite nice)

Hope this helps.

Anita

:confused: So Princess lets you take on the liquor? No problems?:confused:

They will tell you in the liquor store to place the liquor into a carry on bag or if you do not have one, go ahead and board the ship and then disembark and return to the store with an empty bag in which to place your purchases and nothing will be said even though it is quite evident on the xray what is in the bag. We did that and had no problems whatsoever with our Bombay Sapphire and Grey Goose purchases.

Mike:)

Hello. Are the prices good at this store? Someone mentioned that they sell 6-packs of soda and bottled water, as well as liquors such as Bombay and Grey Goose...Were they expensive, since the store knows it's a "last resort" for passengers before boarding, or are the prices similar to those you'd find in the low-priced duty-free shops? We're getting into San Juan the day before we embark, and we're trying to decide whether we should hit a grocery store/drug store Friday afternoon (we don't know where any are, but we're pretty sure we could find one), or whether we should wait and just buy at the pier. Any advice?

Thanks!

Shannon

Hello. Are the prices good at this store? Someone mentioned that they sell 6-packs of soda and bottled water, as well as liquors such as Bombay

The prices are terrific! My Bombay Sapphire was $9.95 a liter as opposed to the $23 I pay at home. We did not find cheaper prices at any other of our Southern Caribbean ports and wished that we had purchased twice as much.

Not sure about the soda prices, etc. I would probably take a taxi to Pueblo (the major grocery in SJ) for those.

Have a great cruise!

There is a Pueblo supermarket nearby ( but not really walkable to get to ) in the Miramar section of SJ on Calle Ponce de Leon. Need to go left off highway from airport to Isla Grande at interchange just before right turn for PanAm terminal. It on right side in 3rd block from highway. They had fairly good selection of wine and of coarse soda pop and bottle water but buy your liquor at terminal duty free as those were priced much better there..

When we sailed out of the terminal in Oct 04 the store had sodas, juices and much more than it does now.

We were in the store on 11/4 and there was plenty of liquor and bottled water but there wasn't any mixers, juice or soda. I know one of the posters said they had soda but when we went they didn't have any and when I asked they told me they don't carry that any longer. I guess so many people asked they decided to carry soda again.

Just so I understand-You can buy liquor or soda at the pier-put it in your carry on and they will let you bring it aboard-Thought they took stuff like that away-Just wondering

Correct. Just remember that it must be enclosed in your carry on and not in an open top bag (like from a retail store) and nothing will be said. I have done this twice at the Pan Am pier. The first time I didn't have any space in the carry on so I went ahead and boarded, emptied the bag and then returned to the terminal for my purchases, no problem.

Archived