San Gervasio - Go or Skip?

Jfultz81

We would love to see some of the Mayan ruins (even though I know San Gervasio is considered small) but is it worth stopping for? How long does it take? We are renting a car and wanting to drive to the other side as well as some shopping and lunch. We are in port from 9-6.. is it worth taking the time to stop at the ruins or should we wait and do Chitchen Itza (sp?) another time?

We toured the ruins back in Sept and had a good time. This was our first exsposure to the Mayan Empire. We hired a guide for $17 for 3 people and he explained what they beleived the ruins are all about. Do not expect to see any major temples or pyramids. We toured the area in about 1hr before heading to the Eastern side of the island stopping off at many of the places that were open. Went to Coconuts for lunch. We hired a taxi for the day so we didnt have to worry about any driving. We toured the island in about 5hrs including a stop in El Cedral. Due to time you will not be able to make it to Chitz unless you fly ($300pp). Plenty of time to enjoy Coz, do some shopping. eat some good food and relax.

We toured the ruins back in Sept and had a good time. This was our first exsposure to the Mayan Empire. We hired a guide for $17 for 3 people and he explained what they beleived the ruins are all about..

was the $17. for the guide for San Gervaiso?

How much did the taxi run you for the day?

It cost $5.50pp to enter the ruins and $17 for the guide. We hired our driver through a reliable contact in Coz. The cost was $85 for 5hrs in a new van with AC (pay when your finished). Gabby spoke very good English which helps as many of the drivers speak broken English. We had a blast and he joined us for our lunch and discussed many issues. He drove us where ever we wanted and waited. I can send you the contact info if you are interested. You can rent a vehicle for less but have to deal with insurance, gas, driving through unfamilar areas even though the east side is not an issue. Parking in town is very difficult. It was well worth it.

It cost $5.50pp to enter the ruins and $17 for the guide. We hired our driver through a reliable contact in Coz. The cost was $85 for 5hrs in a new van with AC (pay when your finished). Gabby spoke very good English which helps as many of the drivers speak broken English. We had a blast and he joined us for our lunch and discussed many issues. He drove us where ever we wanted and waited. I can send you the contact info if you are interested.

Thank you for the info

Were you a group or just a couple?

Yes I would appreciate the contact info

email LHT28 at yahoo.com ..put "Cozumel tours" in subject please

Thanks

We actually did this excursion on our first cruise with our then high school & college aged sons. This excursion included a stop at a private beach resort - don't recall the name of that. This was our first exposure to the Mayan culture, and it was so interesting. We all concluded that our excursion was so enlightening due to our guide.

We were on a bus with about 25 people. It was summertime, so it was hot. After the tour or San Gervasio, we were given soda, beer, and/or water on the bus. This was refreshing!

Both hubby & I are educators, so our sons have been exposed to mostly "educational" vacations (national parks, monuments, forts, etc). They loved this trip because they said it was the first vacation that wasn't educational! Guess what...it really was!! :-)

Our receommendation is a thumbs up! Go and enjoy!

denamo

It cost $5.50pp to enter the ruins and $17 for the guide. We hired our driver through a reliable contact in Coz. The cost was $85 for 5hrs in a new van with AC (pay when your finished). Gabby spoke very good English which helps as many of the drivers speak broken English. We had a blast and he joined us for our lunch and discussed many issues. He drove us where ever we wanted and waited. I can send you the contact info if you are interested. You can rent a vehicle for less but have to deal with insurance, gas, driving through unfamilar areas even though the east side is not an issue. Parking in town is very difficult. It was well worth it.

Glad to read your comments about Gaby. We have him booked for when we are in Cozumel in a few weeks.

It cost $5.50pp to enter the ruins and $17 for the guide. We hired our driver through a reliable contact in Coz. The cost was $85 for 5hrs in a new van with AC (pay when your finished). Gabby spoke very good English which helps as many of the drivers speak broken English. We had a blast and he joined us for our lunch and discussed many issues. He drove us where ever we wanted and waited. I can send you the contact info if you are interested.

Thank you, too for the information. I'd appreciate Gabby's contact info. We will be there in about 10 days.

Please email it to steve at tripinsurancestore.com . Please put "Gabby's contact info." in subject

Thanks,

Steve

Archived