Is it unreasonable to expect flowers/bottle of wine from TA?

tall traveler

....... 7 nite Bermuda cruise plus insurance ... over 20K...high season in July........17 people. This was to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. The TA knew of the the circumstances and never sent flowers/cgamoagne...nothing. .

49holding - can't fault you for feeling as you do - at least some flowers for the Anniversary couple were in order. I might even have mentioned my disappointment.

SarahQ I didn't spell it out in 3 letter words but I do feel it is unreasonable to 'expect' a gift because you book a cruise.

A TA provides a service and is paid, as you are aware, by the Agency, from the commission she/he earns. Arrangements/reservations made invariably work like clockwork. If your (on board) cruise experience is not up to your expections, she/he has no control over what the cruise line does or does not do.

If flights, transfers, hotel arrangements etc. made by the TA don't work out then a good TA will go to bat for you.

That did not seem to be the OP's point. He was obviously well satisfied with the cruise bookings.

We're long, long, long, long time HAL Mariners and have never received wine or flowers. We've come to trust our TA. Not every cruise has been perfect....that's too much to expect....any on board glitches were certainly not her fault.

A few days after returning home we call our TA and tell how things went. We advise her of any 'on board problems' and appraise her of the outcome (usually very satisfactory).

Between cruises we do land tours - she arranges those too - not always easy because we like to do our own air (go a few days early and return a few days after the tour ends). Usually it means extra hotel nights and taxi or bus transfers. Somehow she manages to work it all out, quite seamlessly.

Frequently (but not always) we bring her a gift from a cruise or a land tour......something we think she will appreciate. She's talking of retiring - she'll be hard to replace! :(

The OP just asked a question...not to be ostracized...

I don't agree with "asking" for anything....I expect a good deal...that it!!

If we get bottles of wine (which we have) Great!...if not...who the hell cares!!!

Give her a break..OK!

The OP just asked a question...not to be ostracized...

I don't agree with "asking" for anything....I expect a good deal...that it!!

If we get bottles of wine (which we have) Great!...if not...who the hell cares!!!

Give her a break..OK!

I do not see anyone being ostracized. The OP posed a question and responders have shared their opinion, relative to their perception of reasonability.

Perhaps, another perspective. Most professionals (at least those in business endeavors) understand that their clients expect some level of entertaining or recognition, in addition to the high level of service provided. Lawyers, accountants, stock brokers, insurance brokers and the like, all are expected to buy a meal here and there, offer theater or sporting tickets and send something for the holidays in appreciation of the business given to them. None of them think that their services are deficient in any way so as to require supplementation. They merely realize that clients expect this kind of treatment. Same is true for wholesale and retail vendors that have developed an identifiable relationship with a particular customer.

Is it reasonable for the client or customer to expect this? Maybe not. But, they do. Why TAs would be exempt from this phenomena escapes me, personally. I can see where some folks rely heavily on the TA's services and would feel indebted to the TA. In those circumstances it might not be reasonable to expect a goodie, as well. but in most business models in our free enterprise system, it is always appropriate to thank a customer or client for business that they could have taken somewhere else.

Having said that, my most recent TA experience (a large, privately owned online, but with a brick and mortar presence, as well) was the exception to my own rule. We had no prior relationship, but they extended themselves significantly to address and resolve a major issue. Don't need flowers from them. At least, not until the next time.

Richard

I recently have worked at a full-service brick and mortar travel agency. It is company policy to send some type of Bon Voayage gift to our customers, with gift varying depending on the amount paid for the trip. That being said, if a customer was looking for the absolute lowest price it was probably not going to be found through us. It all depends what you're looking for when you cruise--rock-bottom prices or all the bells and whistles. You can find a great agent who combines both, but it requires research and knowledge(plus a little luck!).

Beth

Perhaps, another perspective. Most professionals (at least those in business endeavors) understand that their clients expect some level of entertaining or recognition, in addition to the high level of service provided. Lawyers, accountants, stock brokers, insurance brokers and the like, all are expected to buy a meal here and there, offer theater or sporting tickets and send something for the holidays in appreciation of the business given to them. None of them think that their services are deficient in any way so as to require supplementation. They merely realize that clients expect this kind of treatment. Same is true for wholesale and retail vendors that have developed an identifiable relationship with a particular customer.

Is it reasonable for the client or customer to expect this? Maybe not. But, they do. Why TAs would be exempt from this phenomena escapes me, personally. I can see where some folks rely heavily on the TA's services and would feel indebted to the TA. In those circumstances it might not be reasonable to expect a goodie, as well. but in most business models in our free enterprise system, it is always appropriate to thank a customer or client for business that they could have taken somewhere else.

Having said that, my most recent TA experience (a large, privately owned online, but with a brick and mortar presence, as well) was the exception to my own rule. We had no prior relationship, but they extended themselves significantly to address and resolve a major issue. Don't need flowers from them. At least, not until the next time.

Richard

Richard, the main difference is that you're dealing with professions where a significantly higher amount of money is made when the service is provided. On the average cruise, the commission can be under $100 or perhaps as high as $250. Of that amount, the agent may receive a portion depending on his/her agreement with the agency. Any gift normally comes out of that portion. So, if I'm making $30 on a cruise (which often happened), I'm not sure where I would have the profit margin to send the client a $29.95 bottle of wine.

Richard, the main difference is that you're dealing with professions where a significantly higher amount of money is made when the service is provided. On the average cruise, the commission can be under $100 or perhaps as high as $250. Of that amount, the agent may receive a portion depending on his/her agreement with the agency. Any gift normally comes out of that portion. So, if I'm making $30 on a cruise (which often happened), I'm not sure where I would have the profit margin to send the client a $29.95 bottle of wine.

This is a point well taken, and speaks directly to whether a particular TA can afford to give a gift. As you point out, some won't be able to. Hopefully, for those who can't, their hard work and support of their client will compensate. And that, in and of itself, has value and adds value.

My point was directed more to those comments that painted the expectation, itself, as out of the norm and inappropriate, if not worse.

Richard

Just returned from our 10 day Volendam cruise. We used a TA that has booked one other Holland cruise for us. On our first cruise we received a bottle of wine. This cruise, she sent us 2 bathrobes and dinner for 2 in the Pinnacle. We were quite surprised and didnot expect such generous gifts. We do not use her service for the items we receive. She is always helpful, courteous and her price is competitve. I must admit, it was fun opening the little gift cards when we arrived in our cabin. It did make us feel as though she appreciated our business.

Darn.... but I guess we have best of both worlds! We have a great TA (he got us a GREAT FREE upgrade on our last cruise) He is ON TOP of everything.... we hear from him before and after every cruise ..... we also on this last cruise had not one but two bottles of wine and a free dinner in the PG ..... plus a couple wonderful shoulder bags ..... I love to surf the NET and have never found anything cheaper then what we get from him.... WELL below any price that I found..... He knows we are seasoned travelers and he respects that, but he always has suggestions and will give his advise.....he is there when we need him, but he not intrusive.... I guess we are just lucky..... he also knows that we are "HIS" we do everything through him and we also refer others to him..... In this day and age when a person can surf the WEB.... YES, TA's should go out of their way to try to keep people coming back.... YES, it may not be a lot of profit but a little is better then NONE..... and TA's know that with the WEB and everything else they better be good to keep people coming back.... YES, we can afford our own wine, but to have that waiting in your room with a "THANK-YOU" note from your TA means a lot.... It is business and the ones that PLEASE their customers are the ones that will succeed .... I, for one, will always go back to where I am wanted and appreciated..... if that should change...we will go elsewhere...... It is NOT wrong to want for a little extra when you are spending your hard earned $$$............. Also I might add we always send a "THANK YOU" note for a job well done after our vacation ........ most sincerely.... Dan

I recieved a gift from my TA on my last Alaska cruise from some non-HAL provider.* Unwrapped it and it turned out to be a box of chocolates - which had bloomed and gone stale.

:(

Perhaps the ship got them from the same place as P & Os Pacific Sky lastg year got their chocs. for a choc on the pillow each night. We only got them because we had a suite but guess what each time we unwrapped the chocs. they were oh so lovely bloomed. We never said a word but that was the last straw and we won't rush to sail P & O again either.

I have been using the same TA for years and have never received a thing from her. I had the nerve, to suggest the last time we booked with her that she send us a small bouquet of flowers or bottle of wine due to our long relationship. She said "of course". Nothing appeared and she has lost my business.

I have been using my TA for 8 years. She has always sent a bottle of wine, per cabin (we book 3) always offered on the 1st formal night, but we have the option to have the other 2 on different nights if we choose. The last cruise, in July 2006, she sent us a 4 x 5 photo complimentary to each cabin (one per cabin) which was not practical, being that the people in the cabin do not live in the same household. I guess it's the thought that counts though! Also, by the way, I always shop around , and she always beats or matches the price, so the wine etc...is just an added gift, I would still use her regardless. :)

On our last cruise, we had a problem getting our docs on time (we received them two weeks before the cruise).

I had asked the TA to check for me about a month out since everyone on my rollcall had theirs, but she blew me off. Then about 2-1/2 weeks before I had to call her again and this time she checked and found out HAL was holding them due to "their computer mistake." Well, worrywart me had quite a few sleepless nights.

She had never sent me anything before, but this time I would have appreciated something, which would have told me my business was valued and appreciated. I didn't even get a welcome home, thank you for your business call or email.:(

I have two TA's that I use regularly. They're both fantastic, and put up with a lot of pricing requests from me. They also watch & let me know about deals that come in for certain lines/destinations.

On our Zuiderdam cruise, we recieved a nice set of flowers from our TA in our stateroom, which was very nice of her - however, we certainly don't expect it all the time! Nor would we demand it either. We keep booking with them because they're GOOD, not because they give us embarkation gifts.

Perhaps the ship got them from the same place as P & Os Pacific Sky lastg year got their chocs. for a choc on the pillow each night. We only got them because we had a suite but guess what each time we unwrapped the chocs. they were oh so lovely bloomed. We never said a word but that was the last straw and we won't rush to sail P & O again either.

Blooming chocolate means that the fat and chocolate have separated, a common occurance when chocolate it kept at a too warm or cold temp. There is nothing wrong with it . If blindfolded, you would not notice a difference.

Blooming chocolate means that the fat and chocolate have separated, a common occurance when chocolate it kept at a too warm or cold temp. There is nothing wrong with it . If blindfolded, you would not notice a difference.

So glad someone else pointed that out..As a teen I worked in an Ice Cream Parlor for a Man who made his own Ice Cream & Chocolate Candy... Baskets, Santa's, Christmas Trees, bunnies, eggs etc. lined the store's shelves at Christmas & Easter...There was a glut of chocolate everywhere..After all the Sales & when the Chocolate finally separated, I was able to take the left overs home..There was absolutely nothing wrong with it & our family enjoyed it..;)

Happy cruising all..Betty

In most cases getting a bottle of wine or some other item that costs the TA money means that you over paid for the cruise. I used to get a bottle of wine from my first TA, I haven't since I changed TAs. I am getting a much better deal now! :D

jc

Today I was at my travel agent's to book air fare for my son and daughter in law to Scotland and she asked me if we prefered red or white wine.....so I guess she is sending a gift! And I didn't pay her to book my cruise. She had to book it through another agency....their fee was $125 but I didn't pay any thing to her. I will bring her back a nice gift from Hawaii though.

No applause for your 'nerve'. :( :(

Said TA obviously looked after you well or you wouldn't have used her for years.

Tell me, did you ever give her a gift or even send her a postcard??? Probably not! :rolleyes:

Only spoiled kids expect gifts! :eek:

I send my TA gifts. She works hard and does not make much on booking my cruises. However her companys owner sends me on free cruises now and then. I would much rather have that then some wine and flowers

I am a travel agent and we used to send wine or flowers or both to clients who booked a cruise. However since 9/11 the industry has changed so much. we use to get paid a commission for airline tickets, now we don't. Not a penny. We also ordered wine or flowers to be sent only to find out after the fact that the client never got it. That was disappointing.

Cruise prices have come down in price considerably. Think of what a balcony use to cost compared to now. Big difference.

Those gifts came off our bottom line and that line is getting smaller and smaller all the time. We use to give away travel bags, photo albums etc, but it was getting to expensive for us to keep it up.

I do call my clients after their cruise to see how it went. I am really interested to see how the cruise line was for their trip, any changes, differences from last time. That is how I keep up to date. I have clients bring me a gift back and that is wonderful, that they thought of me.

C:)

I do not see anyone being ostracized.

No, not being ostracized - just being called a spoiled child. A pretty unfair and somewhat snarky characterization, imo.

The original poster asked a question - is is unreasonable to expect a gift?

In a word - no. :)

No, not being ostracized - just being called a spoiled child. A pretty unfair and somewhat snarky characterization, imo.

The original poster asked a question - is is unreasonable to expect a gift?

In a word - no. :)

Please re-read my post - no one was called a spoiled child - my statement was "Only spoiled kids expect gifts."

We have several friends in the traavel business, they all agree that if they've not heard from a client within a week they can be sure the trip went well but if anything went wrong they hear about it within 2 days - regardless of whether or not a gift was sent. :)

I recieved a gift from my TA on my last Alaska cruise from some non-HAL provider.* Unwrapped it and it turned out to be a box of chocolates - which had bloomed and gone stale.

:(

I laughed out loud when I read this, Brian. I remember well your account of that cruise.....and somehow this "gift" seems strangely appropriate considering the wonderful experience you had both during and after the cruise. Kind of the icing on the cake....if you know what I mean!

Archived