Cruise without passport 2007

MaryAnnKacz

My husband and I have passports. But we are cruising Feb. 1st with eight other family members who will have only birth certificates and IDs. I don't recommend it, but ours is just a 3-night cruise (Disney Wonder) and none of them are likely to cruise again any time soon. So they are taking a chance on it.

You also need one if you miss the ship on embarkation and need to fly to the next port. During the winter months that could be a definte problem for some.

Very true. I woulden't take a chance. Passports are good for 10 years for adults. I renew mine every 9 years. You can pay extra to have processed fast.

Not sure if we will get our passports in time for January 11 cruise. Is anyone else taking a risk and going on a cruise without passport? From what I understand the problem would be if you had to fly back for some reason. Our cruise goes to Cozumel.
they have a site to check the status of your passport.....you have time. You'd probably get them if you started the process tomorrow. I don't think it'll be an issue.

We applied for ours mid October and got them in 3 weeks, and didn't pay for expedited. They told us 6 weeks and it was much faster.

Because we have a lot of family back in the US, many elderly, we got them before our January cruise because I would constantly worry that something might happen and we would need to fly home and be unable to reenter the US. Knowing me, the caretaker that I am, it would put a major damper on my cruise.

We now have them, and I'm glad. My husband can now surprise me with that weekend in Paris (yeah, right :-)

Judy

I have had a passport for years so I have trouble understanding why people who travel anywhere don't have one...but that is just the way it is I suppose.

I look at it this way. What is going to happen to the folks who decide to take a chance and it just doesn't work out that way! They have to come home early for whatever reason.

Now, I have no idea what the American authorities are going to do with those folks when they get off a plane without a Passport...and frankly I don't think I want to know....but I suspect it is not going to be a very nice experience!:eek:

They are going to demand that you prove who you are and what your citizenship is and the only proof they are going to accept is an American Passport, (or for the rest of us a Passport of our country). I don't think they are going to accept..."aw gee we're really nice folks, the only thing we did was float around on a boat for awhile and now we want to come home!":(

If they were going to accept a driver's license and a birth certificate as proof of citizenship, why on God's good green earth would they pass a law saying that ain't good enough anymore???

How many days are you prepare to spend in the lockup...or worse how many days are you prepared to see family members spend in the lockup...or worse still have a family member at home in the midle of life threatening medical crisis while you sit in the lockup?:eek:

Give it some though folks!

Steps down from the rather high soap box and strolls away.:D

Tom:)

I hope everyone that reads this post will consider getting a passport just for their peace of mind. I just got a travel book on the caribbean and almost all the islands are requireing passports so I don't believe you would be able to board a plane on these islands. Yes I know that is to fly there, but you can bet your bootie that means to fly out of also! So maybe you don't need a passport to get on the ship I bet you will need one to leave the ship early and god forbid there is an emergency on board. The cruise line is proably going to need to keep you on board until we return to the original port! And lord if you are traveling with children. What if something happens to them? Can you imagine not being able to leave the ship with a injured child because the child and/or parent does not have passports? Scarey thoughts!

I have had a passport for years so I have trouble understanding why people who travel anywhere don't have one...but that is just the way it is I suppose.

Because.... until 'required' by the government to pay for proof of my citizenship when my DL and BC worked just fine, why would I?

Visiting only Canada and Mexico, there's been no reason to add more expense to traveling. Not that it'd break the bank to purchase one... but for what reason??? If I traveled overseas, certainly I'd've had one by now, but I don't travel overseas, and don't intend to.

Now that's it's not an option, passport vs DL&BC, I'll be getting a passport, as will the rest of my family of four.

Glad you've had one for years, you've obviously had the need for one... I have trouble understanding giving the gov't more money when it hasn't been necessary until now for my family.:)

I've been heming and hawing about it, but after reading this thread I think I will go get one immediately. Have been putting it off because the cost of this cruise got jacked WAY up when Carnival decided to kick us off our boat (Liberty) in February, and airfare had nearly doubled! But now I'm kinda afraid of getting caught without one:eek: !

Not sure if we will get our passports in time for January 11 cruise. Is anyone else taking a risk and going on a cruise without passport? From what I understand the problem would be if you had to fly back for some reason. Our cruise goes to Cozumel.

In mho, it's too big a risk to cruise without a passport. The cost for expedited service would be more than well worth in - in the event of unforseen circumstances.

they have a site to check the status of your passport.....you have time. You'd probably get them if you started the process tomorrow. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Its been 4 weeks for me-- I check that site for status and still as of today I am not in the system.

WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE RULE OUTLINES NEW DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR AIR TRAVEL

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Department of State announced the official requirement for citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda to present a passport to enter the United States when arriving by air from any part of the Western Hemisphere beginning Jan. 23, 2007.

A separate proposed rule addressing land and sea travel will be published at a later date proposing specific requirements for travelers entering the United States through land and sea border crossings. As early as Jan. 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea will be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by DHS. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain acceptable documents for land and sea entries.

For the final rule, go to www.dhs.gov or www.travel.state.gov. The rule will be published in the Federal Register on Friday, Nov. 24, 2006, where it can be viewed at www.regulations.gov. Check ASTAnet.com regularly for updates.

The text below is verbatim from our Guest Confirmation for our Freedom cruise we just booked today:

Effective June 1st 2009, the US Government will require that all guests, including U.S. Citizens be in possession of a valid passport when travelling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. For more information or to get a passport application, visit http://www.travel.state.gov. and/or http://www.carnival.com. Although the requirement to possess a valid passport for sea and land border crossings has been extended to June 1, 2009, the government can accelerate this date based on meeting certain criteria.

Effective January 8, 2007 -- Valid passports will be required for all air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda.

Personally, we always take our passports, so we won't really be affected by this.

I guess I don't understand the "passports, why?' thinking.

Passports are not just another form of ID. It is proof of your citizenship and your ticket home, with help from the USA Embassy, in event of an emergency. I am not just talking "terrorism." I am saying a natural disaster, hostile environment, legal problems, etc. Those things do happen.

I just figure my DH, 4 sons, and I am are worth the cost. No different than carrying major medical insurance. I mean......am I going to need that? Maybe...maybe not. The day I need insurance or my passport I will have it.

We cruise with our passports also. No need to think about any issues that might come up that way. Why is it people are willing to spend $500+ for a week of foo foo drinks, photos, bingo etc but not spend $100 on an official form of id that is good for 10 years?

We cruise with our passports also. No need to think about any issues that might come up that way. Why is it people are willing to spend $500+ for a week of foo foo drinks, photos, bingo etc but not spend $100 on an official form of id that is good for 10 years?

Penny wise and Pound foolish?

Because.... until 'required' by the government to pay for proof of my citizenship when my DL and BC worked just fine, why would I?

What if the ship has unusual problems and you want to use the guarantee? For many years now, some ports like Belize won't let you board an airplane.

What if an emergency at home were to cause you to want to return early? Again it wouldn't be possible by air from some Caribbean nations without a passport.

What if you were to have your wallet or purse stolen while ashore? What would you use to reboard the ship? I suppose after alot of hassle port security and ship security would verify your identity but why endure the hassle? and what do you do at the next port? And do you really want to endure the examination you will receive from ICE upon your return to the USA? If you went ashore with your DL and had you PP in your cabin safe you have insurance.

Speaking of insurance, many people buy it for their vacation. A passport still costs less than $10/year. Do what you like but a passport isn't an un-necessary expense IMHO it is just a part of traveling abroad.

What if the ship has unusual problems and you want to use the guarantee? For many years now, some ports like Belize won't let you board an airplane.

What if an emergency at home were to cause you to want to return early? Again it wouldn't be possible by air from some Caribbean nations without a passport.

What if you were to have your wallet or purse stolen while ashore? What would you use to reboard the ship? I suppose after alot of hassle port security and ship security would verify your identity but why endure the hassle? and what do you do at the next port? And do you really want to endure the examination you will receive from ICE upon your return to the USA? If you went ashore with your DL and had you PP in your cabin safe you have insurance.

Speaking of insurance, many people buy it for their vacation. A passport still costs less than $10/year. Do what you like but a passport isn't an un-necessary expense IMHO it is just a part of traveling abroad.

Its always about the What IF's:D Just suck it up and get a passport.. I could beeyotch away that I have to pay the same as American's but being a Canuck it is only good for 5 yrs.. but hey I won't:rolleyes:

Today I just booked a cruise for my father for Christmas, he's 76 never had a need for a passport. He does have his birth certificate and I know he does NOT have to have one for this cruise (from Miami), but I am also taking him to Punta Cana in April which he will need one for. I guess my question is can he get one now in time for our January 14th cruise?

Today I just booked a cruise for my father for Christmas, he's 76 never had a need for a passport. He does have his birth certificate and I know he does NOT have to have one for this cruise (from Miami), but I am also taking him to Punta Cana in April which he will need one for. I guess my question is can he get one now in time for our January 14th cruise?

You only need them if you are flying out or into the US.. but yes you have plenty of time if you apply now from what I have read from others

Archived