Where to stay in New York

lavigne101

Hi, Jane!

Wow, how truly ironic that Nicole is your friend! We were totally entertained by Nicole at Seppi the last time we stayed at Le Parker Meridien. We loved her, but, I think DH fell in love with her. ;-) The last time we were in NY, we dropped by Seppi, at DH's insistance, but she was no longer there.

Seems to be there really are only 6 Degrees of Separation.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Karen

Small world!

She's not really my friend. She's the friend of a friend of mine from Paris and she sometimes stays with her when he comes to NY and we go see her perform.

Actually, I was supposed to go and see her tonight at Seppi's but my friend's just called and had to cancel.

She also plays at Chibi's Sake bar downtown.

Before your next trip to NY look at her website and see if she'll be playing anywhere.

OK, here's another 6 degree's of separation:

I looked at her bio on her site and it seems she does the music for the Reem Acra fashion shows. Turns out, I know the publicist for Reem Acra and it never came up in conversation - he's the one that hires her! Small world!

OK, here's another 6 degree's of separation:

I looked at her bio on her site and it seems she does the music for the Reem Acra fashion shows. Turns out, I know the publicist for Reem Acra and it never came up in conversation - he's the one that hires her! Small world!

My girlfriend whos wedding I'm styling (I don't know if you remember me asking you about this) ended up ordering a Reem Acra wedding dress. They are gorgeous! She probably would have ended up going with Vera Wang but their consultants canceled on her twice.

I agree with Budget Queen the Super 8 Times Square has great pricing. In the past we would stay at the Skyline, but since they rehabbed the prices have gone sky high. The front desk personnel leave alot to be desired as well.

I'll be there between Christmas and New Year's as well and friends will be meeting us one nite for dinner, they are staying on 32nd and we're near Rockefeller Center. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced restaurant between the two hotels - something not too fussy, we'll have children with us. I'm thinking maybe Italian or a steakhouse.

My girlfriend whos wedding I'm styling (I don't know if you remember me asking you about this) ended up ordering a Reem Acra wedding dress. They are gorgeous! She probably would have ended up going with Vera Wang but their consultants canceled on her twice.

Yes, I remember you asking about your friend's wedding. Vera Wang's losing alot of customer's to poor service from the staff. I'm guessing that Reem Acra is only too happy to pick them up! ;)

I attended the Reem Acra spring fashion show a few months ago. Lots of the middle eastern princesses in the audience.

Don't tell your friend, but there was a Reem Acra sample sale last week!

What ever happened to Mama Leone's?

It's gone. For large portions of medicore, cheap italian food, the Mama Leone's of today is Carmine's.

A relic of the past, or just history?

LL

What's the difference between the two?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thank you for all the information. We are booking the Victory (Sept 29th) and are clueless when it comes to New York. We always fly in a day or 2 ahead of time and now we know where to stay!!!

Thanks again!!

I can't speak from personal experience yet, but we have booked the Ameritania hotel for our 4 nights in NYC pre-cruise in June. It is located on the corner of 54th and Broadway, right next to the Ed Sullivan Theater (which is where David Letterman tapes his shows). We were able to book a "Superior" King Room for $141/night. The hotel gets a 3 out of 5 on Trip Advisor's web site, and most of the negative comments were in regards to things we couldn't care less about (small rooms, decor, etc.).

Ok, New York folks...here are our choices for September.

(we can get a room free at these locations with our points)

Doubletree on Broadway

Hilton Times Square on 42nd

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square on 8th

Hampton Inn - Manhatten - Times Square 8th and 51st

Hilton New York on the Avenue of the Americas

Which would you choose???

Thanks so much!!!

Doubletree on Broadway

Thanks so much!!!

For me personally I would go with the Ave of Americas location. Mainly because I don't care for Times Square since it is too crowded and congested for my taste.

Jetskier - That is an awesome deal for the W.

A Manhatten location is a MUST if you want some touring. There is no sense wasting a lot of time in transit back and forth to hotels. Having a hotel within walking distance is a great advantage.

I go to NYC 3-4 times/year. I like the Super 8 (tough to make all those trips with costly hotels :) ) Key is to keep checking pricing after booking an easily canceled room. My next trip is 4 days between Christmas and New Year's. The rate has dropped $100/night since my first booking a couple months ago, to now about $150/night. (+++ taxes) End of July rate dropped three weeks before $60/night to $123. The location is excellent, 1 long block to Times Square easy access to subways and buses, and I walk from Grand Central.

Free continental breakfast another bonus. Busy safe area for walking back from shows. With my other "cheap" options on 8th gone and bought out Days Inn and Hojo, this is a gem for me.

Priceline can be a good option, late booking, IF you only need one bed. Look at midtown east and west.

What locations for the Hojo, Super 8, and Days Inn? Or are there just one of each in Manhatten??

I lived down the block at 200 W. 20th for most of my adult life, so I can tell you that the Chelsea Lodge is an excellent location! Tons of restaurants and bars on 7th, 8th and 9th Ave's as well as a short walk to the Meat Packing District and the West Village. Also, the Joyce Theatre on 8th Ave and 19th St has excellent dance companies performing.

How far from Chelsea Lodge is the cruise terminal? Ground Zero? Sorry, I'm not familiar with NY at all.

Thanks!

Doubletree on Broadway

Thanks so much!!!

Hilton on Sixth Avenue (Avenue of The Americas) because it is out of Times Square. You will appreciate this.

can't speak from personal experience yet, but we have booked the Ameritania hotel for our 4 nights in NYC pre-cruise in June. It is located on the corner of 54th and Broadway, right next to the Ed Sullivan Theater (which is where David Letterman tapes his shows). We were able to book a "Superior" King Room for $141/night. The hotel gets a 3 out of 5 on Trip Advisor's web site, and most of the negative comments were in regards to things we couldn't care less about

Please keep searching for a hotel. The Ameritana is a dump and needs to be bought and renovated. I'd put it on par with the Hotel Pennsylvania. I'd look at the Affinia Group and book one of their hotels. www.Affinia.com as I'm sure they can match that rate and you'd get a suite.

lavigne101,

I would first try Priceline, Hotwire or Easyclick. We are making two visits to NYC in May and June. The June date (in on the 2nd/out on the 4th) we were able to pick up the Le Parker Meridien (4*) on Priceline for $150 per night + tax. It is located at Central Park south.

The May date is for the Memorial day weekend and demand seems to be up. We have booked a nice budget type hotel in Chelsea (Chelsea Lodge) for $114 a night + tax (for two nights).

http://www.chelsealodge.com/

Good luck,

Kel

Did you get the Chelsea Lodge on Priceline? If so, what area did you bid under and what "star" choice? Thanks!

I can't speak from personal experience yet, but we have booked the Ameritania hotel for our 4 nights in NYC pre-cruise in June. It is located on the corner of 54th and Broadway, right next to the Ed Sullivan Theater (which is where David Letterman tapes his shows). We were able to book a "Superior" King Room for $141/night. The hotel gets a 3 out of 5 on Trip Advisor's web site, and most of the negative comments were in regards to things we couldn't care less about (small rooms, decor, etc.).

Where/how/what website did you book this hotel please?

Kelmac or Jetskier,

Do you have any info on how to tell on Hotwire which hotels are the Le Parker Meridian or W New York? What I mean is this, When we crised in dec. we went to Miami 2 days early. I found on Cruise critic to get the Intercontinetal go for the 4 star that has laundry facialities. That one for sure was the Intercontinetal. Is ther anything different in the listings that gives the right hotel? Hope this makes sense. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheryl:)

What locations for the Hojo, Super 8, and Days Inn? Or are there just one of each in Manhatten??

I posted the Days Inn and Hojo are gone on 8th Ave.- now the Hilton and Hampton Inn.

The Super 8 is 46th and 6th, superb location.

Kelmac or Jetskier,

Do you have any info on how to tell on Hotwire which hotels are the Le Parker Meridian or W New York? What I mean is this, When we crised in dec. we went to Miami 2 days early. I found on Cruise critic to get the Intercontinetal go for the 4 star that has laundry facialities. That one for sure was the Intercontinetal. Is ther anything different in the listings that gives the right hotel? Hope this makes sense. :confused:

Hi Cheryl,

I am not able to help you there. I just picked a 4-star and it said 5 were available. I lucked up and drew the W New York as did a couple of others on my sailing.

Dave

I'm not sure where the port is but we stayed at the New York Hilton on 6th Ave (also called Avenue of the Americas) between 53-54th Streets last summer and can highly recommend it. It's a great midtown location if you're going to be doing some sightseeing before your cruise- easy walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Broadway/Times Sq. I booked online and paid $202. per night for a weekend last July. A great deal for this property/location. If you book ask for a renovated room-they're wonderful.

Where did you book "online"??

Did you get the Chelsea Lodge on Priceline? If so, what area did you bid under and what "star" choice? Thanks!

ciship,

No, I booked the Chelsea Lodge direct off their website:

http://www.chelsealodge.com/

It is a small budget hotel, with really small rooms. Showers in the rooms, but the WC (toilet) is shared in the hallways. Very European style, and this hotel gets high ratings on TripAdvisor.

Enjoy!

Kel

Kelmac or Jetskier,

Hi Cheryl,

I think it is a bit more difficult to "predict" which hotel you will get using Priceline in New York. Just so many options, but here is what I used to get the La Parker Meridian:

I bid Upper midtown, Central Park South; four stars.

I bid up to $150 and booked it for June 2nd and 3rd. Costs = $150 + $27.15 tax (per night).

Good luck!

Kel

Archived