AirTrain @ JFK

kelmac

Has anyone used the AirTrain from JFK to Penn station in the city? We come into terminal 9. I guess you take the AirTrain ($5) to the Jamaica station, and switch to the LIRR ($7) into the city.

We will be arriving two days early for our Journey cruise and would prefer avoiding the taxi into the city. We will have three medium size "cruise" bags -- so is luggage a hassle on these trains?

We will get a taxi from Penn station to our hotel in Chelsea.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Kel

Yes, I always use Airtrain if flying JFK, last trip a month ago. But why are you looking at LIRR?? I take the A subway- Howard Beach direct connect to Airtrain. Goes right to Penn Station. But may have a subway stop closer to your hotel??? Key for this mode of travel is to PACK LIGHT. No more than 1 medium quality rolling bag per person that isn't over loaded. If you have more, and have trouble with stairs and walking, take a cab. It works perfectly for me but not for everyone. It's $12 round trip JFK to midtown Manhatten. Allow at least an hour.

Thanks Budget Queen!

I read the LIRR may be faster?? (35 minutes). We can handle luggage with no problems. I thought the Long Island Rail cars would be more luggage "friendly"??? Seems awkward having luggage on a regular metro subway car.

I used this site for info:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/airtrain.htm

Thanks again!

Kel

Thanks Budget Queen!

I read the LIRR may be faster?? (35 minutes). We can handle luggage with no problems. I thought the Long Island Rail cars would be more luggage "friendly"??? Seems awkward having luggage on a regular metro subway car.

I used this site for info:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/airtrain.htm

Thanks again!

Kel

I don't find the LIRR more luggage friendly, since I can have my bag right in front of me on the ground on the subway. There are overhead racks on the LIRR. Tough lifting full size luggage. The time won't be that significant in my opinion.

super shuttle is 18.00 per person and will take you directly to your hotel.

www.supershuttle.com

I ride the subway all the time. Its not luggae friendly, but the station at howard beach is more friendly than most. You can take the A train to Jay Street Boro Hall in Brooklyn and get the F train accross the track that will take you up 6th Ave in Chelsea which is probably close to your hotel, at 23rd Street.

One rolling bag subway ok. More than that a hassle off rush hour should be okay...

remember a cab is fixed at $45.00 per trip from the airport(soon to be the same going back) to any place in Manhattan(plus toll and tip).....sometimes a cab is best.

super shuttle is 18.00 per person and will take you directly to your hotel.

www.supershuttle.com

I ride the subway all the time. Its not luggae friendly, but the station at howard beach is more friendly than most. You can take the A train to Jay Street Boro Hall in Brooklyn and get the F train accross the track that will take you up 6th Ave in Chelsea which is probably close to your hotel, at 23rd Street.

One rolling bag subway ok. More than that a hassle off rush hour should be okay...

remember a cab is fixed at $45.00 per trip from the airport(soon to be the same going back) to any place in Manhattan(plus toll and tip).....sometimes a cab is best.

smeyer418,

You could be right about the taxi. If the weather is bad, or we are delayed into the "rush" hour, I think we will just go with the taxi. Thanks for all the information!:)

Kel

smeyer418,

You could be right about the taxi. If the weather is bad, or we are delayed into the "rush" hour, I think we will just go with the taxi. Thanks for all the information!:)

Kel

Consider this also, if there are two of you, you will be spending $12 each for the train which is $24 then probably another $10 for the cab to your hotel which is $34. A cab isn't that much more money.

Also, don't even think of trying to drag luggage on the subway during rush hour.

Thanks again BlueHerons, smeyer418, and BudgetQueen!

Saving a few bucks is not the motivation here. We want to support public transportation as much as possible. We love trains, subways and anything else that keeps autos off the streets. It's been a long time since we have had a positive taxi ride, but that may be the best option.

:)

Enjoy!

Kel

If you take the airtrain and the then subway, it will only be $7 per person. And it shouldn't be too crowded on the subway if you arrive midday. If your hotel is in Chelsea, you should take the Airtrain to Howard Beach Station, then take the A subway train from Howard Beach right to Chelsea.

I take the Airtrain to the subway all the time when I go to/from JFK, and it's actually very fast. The trip from the Airport to Midtown Manhattan should only take about 60-75 minutes. Granted a taxi may take as little as 40 minutes, but sometimes NY traffic will actually make the car ride longer than subways.

Archived