Part I: Review of Naples/Athens/Kusadasi/Istanbul and Mykonos

We just returned from the Princess Egypt/Aegean on the Golden Princess. Thought I would share some brief information on the ports--will break this into three parts since some will not be interested in our pre-cruise into Tuscany (Part III), the Egypt stop (Part II), and the remainder of the ports (Part I). If you are scheduled for this trip next year, you are in for a treat. The weather was sunny every day of our trip--a bit chilly in the mornings, but warmed up during the day. We really lucked out with the weather. The weather in Egypt was perfect--short sleeves and sunny, but not too hot.

Part I:

Naples:

Our group of 8 hired DriveAmalfi for an Amalfi Coast drive. We had been to Pompeii on a prior trip and wanted to just visit the small towns along the Amalfi Coast. Our driver was Adriano—and what a delight! If you have Adriano as your guide/driver, you are in for a treat. When he runs out of things to talk about, he will sing (and has an excellent voice) and then tells funny stories. We were entertained the entire trip. Because we were in Naples outside the normal tourist season, there was very little traffic on the Amalfi drive. We visited Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, and had lunch in a restaurant in Pontone, with a view of the sea. We also tried the Limoncello (must be an acquired taste). Truly a memorable experience with fantastic views. We had time in Sorrento to shop if that is important to you, but the tour is basically a lot of driving and getting out of the van to take pictures and walking around to take in the scenery. We did walk through Pontone and saw donkeys walking down the steps coming our way. There are no cars in the very small “streets” leading to the homes—the city is on the side of a cliff. We made it back to the ship in plenty of time. These tour companies know when you need to be delivered back to the ship and know side streets and alternate routes in case of traffic congestion. I would not hesitate to use this company again for any Naples excursions. One note: When meeting the tour company, don’t wait where the Princess busses are located. You need to walk out of the port area into the parking lot where the private tour vans are located.

Athens:

We had visited Athens on a prior trip so had no set agenda for this visit. It is very easy to catch the metro into the city center (get off at either the Thissio or Monastiraki metro stop for the Acropolis). Also, Princess had a shuttle for $27 per person that had a short tour around the city before dropping you off in the Plaka area. Again, the Plaka (shopping area) was not crowded. We visited several jewelry stores before settling on some gold earrings. The stores were willing to reduce their prices because it was the end of the tourist season. Most other souvenir-type stores also were willing to bargain for reduced prices. It is a very easy walk from the Plaka area to the Parliament to view the changing of the guard. This is also very close to the Syntagma metro stop. Be sure to go in the Syntagma metro stop—there are many artifacts (bowls, vases, etc.) that were found during excavation for the metro, including the remains of one individual (yes, his bones are encased under glass) at the metro stop. It is like a mini-museum for free.

Kusadasi (Ephesus): We used EKOL Travel for a private guide for 4 of us. We visited House of Virgin Mary (the views going up to the house are unbelievable), Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses, and a rug factory. Ephesus is truly a must-see. The Terrace Houses were recently opened in January of 2006 and contain recently excavated houses of the wealthy. It is amazing how well preserved they are—the mosaics on the floors and the frescoes on the walls. You need Turkish currency to enter the Terrace Houses, which are located right before the famous library of Ephesus. The cost is about $5 US and well worth the extra time and money. On your way out of Ephesus, there are vendors selling postcards, books, and “original fake watches”! We were hesitant about visiting a rug factory since we were not in the market for a rug, but it turned out to be very entertaining. There was no high pressure. We saw how they obtained the silk from the silkworms and saw the women making the rugs. The presentation of the rugs was entertaining and we learned a lot about the different types of rugs. We did all this in ½ day, so if you have a full day, add additional things to your itinerary!

Istanbul: Again we used EKOL Travel for our group of 4. We had a fantastic guide: Murat Gurer. We basically saw everything that is included on the Princess tour, but also included a visit to the Underground Cistern (famous in “From Russia With Love”.) We had lunch at the restaurant at Topkapi Palace overlooking the sea. The great thing about a private tour is that if one part of the palace was crowded, we just moved to a different part and then returned to the part when it was no longer crowded—extreme flexibility. We had plenty of time to shop in the Grand Bazaar (unlike some complaints I heard from the Princess tour where they had only a short amount of time). Our guide took us through first and told us how to find our way out—there is one main “street” that is wider than others and it contains all the jewelry stores—if you just keep going downhill, you will find your way out. All the other small side “streets” branch off the main one and contain the more “touristy” items. We also stopped here for some Turkish coffee or tea. Definitely bargain—we found some great inexpensive gift items for those people who take care of our house, pick up our mail, etc.—very colorful bowls and vases.

Mykonos: This is a photographer’s dream. We probably took more pictures here than anywhere else. It is walkable from the ship into Mykonos. We opted to take the Princess shuttle ($8 RT). Our friends called this their “blue door tour”—all white buildings with blue doors. It was very easy to just lose yourself walking in the small alleyways, but very scenic. Definitely walk along the water and you will eventually come to the famous windmills for another photo op. Plenty of jewelry shops if you need to shop. We had lunch at one of the restaurants facing the water—not expensive and nice to have an easy day before Egypt.

How do you contact EKOL Travel? I would be interested in booking with them for our cruise in Sep 07.

I use to live in the Denver area - Parker

Thanks,

Kathy

EKOL has a web site: http://www.ekoltravel.com which will give you an idea of their standard tours (you can customize anything). Contact EKOL via email: ekol at ekoltravel.com. Fevzi Turhan, the general manager, was the person who contacted me. Very prompt and responsive. In addition, if you type in the search function the word "EKOL", you can get additional information from individuals who have used this company. We did give the company a deposit via credit card, but they also told us if we preferred not to, we did not have to. I felt very comfortable that this was a reputable company and had no problem faxing them our credit card.

Another wonderful review! Thanks much. You mentioned the Terrace Houses, how difficult of a climb is it up the terrace? We will be visiting next year with some elderly people and was wondering if there may be an alternative way in?

The Terrace Houses are in a covered area and there is only one way in that I am aware of. To actually get in the Terrace Houses should be no problem as you just access them from the main "street" of Ephesus (there was either a ramp or a few stairs to enter. However, once you are in, you have to climb stairs to go through the Terrace Houses. It probably would be the equivalent of going up one flight of stairs (if I recall the first flight of stairs is the longest) and then some flat areas and then some additional stairs, though shorter. The entrance desk where you pay is as you go in the covered area and you can see the stairs from the desk. If you are concerned about whether the people could walk through the area, my suggestion would be just to go in by the entrance desk and take a look at the stairs. The first flight that you can see as you go in is the highest/longest. Now after you view everything inside, you come out at the top and then have to walk down to the bottom to get to the street. This might be a little trickier as there were uneven stone steps outside of the covered area to reach the bottom of the street. If you are concerned about that, as you face the Terrace Houses, go to the right of the building and you will see how you get down from the top. The entire area is not large (about the equivalent of 3 townhouses side-by-side).

Thanks for the info on EKOL - I just booked them for our cruise next Sept. I was looking for something like they offered and I think we'll be pleased. We are looking forward to seeing Turkey.

Hope you are enjoying the snow - I miss it so much and wish I was in the mountains skiing this winter.

Kathy

Glad you were able to make connection with EKOL. Both our guides were good (good for Ephesus and far above excellent for Istanbul). The vans used were very comfortable and the drivers were very good and prompt. I know you will have a wonderful trip next year.

(By the way, it was 8 degrees this morning and we have a couple inches of snow on the ground in Denver--but as you know, much more in the mountains. The myth continues that Denver gets so much snow when in reality it is the mountains that gets the snow.)

Since this thread will eventually go to the bottom of the pile, feel free to e-mail me next year if you think of any pressing questions--FSusman at comcast.net.

Denverite,

Thank you for a wonderful report.

The contact info I have for Drivealmalfi doesn't seem to work. My email came back "undeliverable". Do you mind sharing their email address with me.

Thanks!

Elaine

elee2028@yahoo.com

Elaine: I just sent you an e-mail with two different contact addresses for DriveAmalfi: ***** and *****

If those don't work, let me know. I know this is the off-season for tourists, but the company is very responsive... Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fran! Hope you don't mind if I add to your experiences!

We were on the same cruise, and I just wanted to add a few things for those who haven't been to these ports before and/or are hesitant about booking tours that are not offered by the cruise line. (My mom has an irrational fear of being left behind at a port, what can I say??)

Anyway for those interested, Princess offered what they call an "Elite" tour for most ports that basically limited the group size and (because of the smaller size) offered more for the same amount of time. We took these "Elite" tours for Athens (Acropolis, National Museum, and Plaka), Ephesus (included the Terrace Houses that Fran mentioned) and Istanbul (basically all the "must-see" sites including Topkapi Palace and harem -- which is not always included on tours, so check carefully -- Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Islamic Museum with limited shopping time in the Grand Bazaar).

I thought these tours were a good compromise. While not really a "small" tour, they were nevertheless smaller groups than the other tours offered by Princess. The lunches we had in Athens and Istanbul were outstanding. In Athens, we had a gorgeous view of the Parthenon and in Istanbul we ate in a hotel on the water that was formerly a palace.

Having said that, were I to go back, I would definitely do these ports on my own or with a driver. However, for a first time visit, it's not a bad idea to do a tour with a guide, as the guides we had overall were VERY good and gave us a lot of information about the history of the sites we visited as well as Islamic customs, modern problems and government, etc.

In Mykonos I did the Delos tour, which is fabulous if you are into ancient history like me. If not, you may find it one more gigantic pile of rocks, and spending the time in a pleasant taverna in Mykonos might be a better bet. I was able to do both Delos and Mykonos as I was on the earlier Delos tour. I felt I still had plenty of time to wander around, take pictures, and did plenty of shopping damage!

• 4 months later...

We have Ekol tours booked in both Ephesus and Istanbul. They were very responsive to all inquiries, very well recommended and equal to if not less than other agencies.

If I recall comparing Elite Princess tours to private tours is like comparing a Volkswagon to a Cadillac. Our 2 Turkey tours total $100 per person and there will only be 8 of us. The Elite tours are very expensive.

Bon Voyage

You may not see Ekol mentioned much because they mostly do Turkey stops, and not as many cruises visit Turkey as they do Italy ports.

We used Ekol in Ephesis and Istanbul, and were very pleased with them also.

In Istanbul we had lunch at the Hamdi restaurant. We are in the rooftop room overlooking the water and bridge, great views. Our guide came with us and ordered for the group. Best way to go...he picked out some of the more popular dishes, and we all shared.

Our first stop was in Ephesis, and the only objection I have with the tour there is the unexpected stop at a leather factory for a 'show' and sales pitch. I'm sure the guide gets some kickback, so I made it clear at Istanbul that we were not interested in any unexpected sales stops.

• 3 weeks later...
Denverite,

Thank you for a wonderful report.

The contact info I have for Drivealmalfi doesn't seem to work. My email came back "undeliverable". Do you mind sharing their email address with me.

Thanks!

Elaine

elee2028@yahoo.com

Hi Elaine,it's Amalfi not Almalfi and Salvatore has two email addresses which are ***** or ***** We're just back from the Med and used them in Naples and recommend them 100%

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you were able to make connection with EKOL. Both our guides were good (good for Ephesus and far above excellent for Istanbul). The vans used were very comfortable and the drivers were very good and prompt. I know you will have a wonderful trip next year.

(By the way, it was 8 degrees this morning and we have a couple inches of snow on the ground in Denver--but as you know, much more in the mountains. The myth continues that Denver gets so much snow when in reality it is the mountains that gets the snow.)

Since this thread will eventually go to the bottom of the pile, feel free to e-mail me next year if you think of any pressing questions--FSusman at comcast.net.

We have EKOL booked in July and its good to read some positive feedback prior to our Tour

Can those of you who do tours w/ Ekol post reviews when you return. We are going on the Galaxy in Nov. and possibly will use Ekol. Thanks so much. Have a great cruise.

Mary

Hi Mary,

We will be using Ekol in Istanbul and Kusadasi in Aug., can't wait. I've read nothing but great things about them, so feel pretty confortable using them. I will let you know when we get back.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived