Balcony dividers

Yes I have. Last April on the Mariner............we were travelling with another party and had our dividers opened between our Jr. Suites on the hump.

We asked our cabin steward and he said he would have to get security to open them, he wasn't able to. Took about a day and a half for security to get up there, but they did open them and we had an extended balcony with our travelling friends.

Start with your cabin steward when you get on board.

That one I don't know...........we left ours open for the remainder of the cruise. I would think though that security would not want to keep opening them everyday.

Just a note: Not all balcony dividers open on all ships.....

We were on Serenade in side-by-side cabins with our best friends last Nov. They were bolted into the ship.......and not openable.....

so you might not be able to open them at all......

We were on Freedom last week and had connecting E2 with the children. I asked the cabin steward and she said that she could not do it but the supervisor could. We called the supervisor and she came right up and opened the divider that night. It slides back and forth so if you wanted you could slide it shut for privacy, but not lock it and open it again. On Mariner we were told by the cabin steward that they could not be opened. It probably depends on who you ask as I have found with most RCL employees, some have no idea and rather then say that they give you the wrong information. Start with a supervisor and go from there. Good Luck

Bill

We were on Freedom last week and had connecting E2 with the children. I asked the cabin steward and she said that she could not do it but the supervisor could. We called the supervisor and she came right up and opened the divider that night. It slides back and forth so if you wanted you could slide it shut for privacy, but not lock it and open it again. On Mariner we were told by the cabin steward that they could not be opened. It probably depends on who you ask as I have found with most RCL employees, some have no idea and rather then say that they give you the wrong information. Start with a supervisor and go from there. Good Luck

Bill

This is probably partly true, but the thing is that it is entirely at the ship's captain's discretion. Many of the captains do not allow the dividers to be opened, sometimes citing safety reasons. I can understand that because some ships have dividers that latch over to the side of the ship; the thought of one coming loose while at sea is kind of scary. Also, some captains won't allow it during spring break time (and probably summer vacation too) because there have been incidents in the past with large groups who have several balconies in a row and who've had security issues.

The dividers are primarily intended to open for cleaning or maintenance, but it is nice when the captain allows it for pax as well. Don't assume though that your cabin steward, supervisor, security, ship's officer, or anyone else is necessarily wrong when they tell you the dividers are not allowed to be opened. Sometimes they aren't. (There have been posters who've suggested trying to open them yourself or bribing your cabin steward to break the rules if the captain has said no. This is incredibly foolish and selfish, IMO.)

When we cruised with my sister and BIL, we really wanted the divider opened, but that time the captain wasn't allowing it. It actually worked out well because we all did enjoy the option of privacy, and we could all squeeze onto one balcony when we wanted to be together. It helped that we had connecting cabins, so we always had the option of keeping the connecting door open or closed.

beachchick

Archived