Under Captn's Table article today, re: tipping

lumpkin

I just read this article that is posted on cruisecritic, and I am confused about 1 point mentioned. It said unusual tips ($2 bill or gold coin) were appreciated. Some posters, however, say that unusual forms of currency is worth less to the staff member when trying to use it or convert it to their national currency.

Anyone know what the "real deal" is? I would love to bring $2 bills on our next cruise, but want them to be worth $2 to the crew!

I just read this article that is posted on cruisecritic, and I am confused about 1 point mentioned. It said unusual tips ($2 bill or gold coin) were appreciated. Some posters, however, say that unusual forms of currency is worth less to the staff member when trying to use it or convert it to their national currency.

Anyone know what the "real deal" is? I would love to bring $2 bills on our next cruise, but want them to be worth $2 to the crew!

There is a blog written by a former Princess crewman that talked about this. He said please don't give tips in $2 bills or any other bills that look unusual. The reason is that if they try to exchange it in a foreign country, the currency exchange will not do it thinking they are counterfeit. Since they never see $2 bills, the exchange will not take any chance with them. Also he said try not to give out the newer forms of U.S. currency for the same reason. Especially avoid the new bills that have a lot of red ink in them.

If you want to look at this blog it is at:

http://www.crewoffice.blogspot.com/

But I tried to search it for the article I am refering and couldn't find it.

This is all very interesting - and news to me since we tip with $2. Can't the crew exchange their bills at the pursers desk on board the ship?

I usually see the crew doing their business ashore, because they can get a better exchange rate than what is offered by their employer...also some suspicion of the employer snooping in their finances...

LL

We often give $2 bills, when in Alaska I saw the staff coming back in droves from the Costco there (in Juneau if I remember correctly) they bought boxes and boxes of candy bars etc, I was laughing at this cause I had read on the boards how not to give them gifts of candy etc as they don't want it etc etc etc and here they were shopping for it themselves, same goes when they go shopping in port they can use the $2 bills if they have problems exchanging them. JMO

The crew really don't like the $2 bills, no matter what they or CC says. The reason is that many do not do shopping in the U.S. (they're too busy on turnaround days -- Alaska might be OK since most of the ports are in the U.S. but elsewhere is a nightmare for them) and they get soaked if they try to exchange a non-standard bill, if they can exchange it at all. I don't believe they can go to the Pursar's Desk like a passenger and change a $2 bill. You're really doing them a disservice and making it difficult for them. If you have to give them $2, give them two $1 bills.

If you're going to tip in cash, because the $20- bill is the most common one to be counterfeited it can be harder to exchange to another currency. All bills should be like new.

I have read a number of times about the problem of the $2.00 bill. Had not heard about not using our newer bills. I just ordered some from my CU for our cruise only 44 days away! :D

This is all very interesting - and news to me since we tip with $2. Can't the crew exchange their bills at the pursers desk on board the ship?

They would be using the crew purser rather than the Pursers Desk as you're thinking of it. And they certainly can spend a $2 bill in any US port. In the Caribbean, Alaska, and Hawaii, there would be a place that operates in US currency on virtually every itinerary -- St. Thomas, San Juan, Ft. Lauderdale (for instance) are all places the crew routinely shops for personal items and could spend $2 bills.

"If you're going to tip in cash, because the $20- bill is the most common one to be counterfeited it can be harder to exchange to another currency. All bills should be like new."

In Mexico all bills need to be 100% new, no tears, excessive wear or the like. You wont be able to spend it, exchange it or if offered for tip it will be hard for the recipient to do the same.

All these rules and regulations just takes the fun out of tipping! :D

OK, no more $2 bills. Only "like new bills", but not with the "new red" markings. Those are going to be hard to come by.

How about just giving them a check! :cool:

These aren't rules and regulations but respect and consideration of the crew. That, IMHO, should be your primary concern. Most of them come from non-North American countries and save their money to send home to their families rather than bopping out to the nearest Wal-Mart to spend their tips. Giving them non-standard currency that is difficult and expensive for them to convert or exchange is not fair to them.

Sorry that tipping is no longer fun. Come to think of it, if it were fun, more people would tip more, right?

These aren't rules and regulations but respect and consideration of the crew. That, IMHO, should be your primary concern. Most of them come from non-North American countries and save their money to send home to their families rather than bopping out to the nearest Wal-Mart to spend their tips. Giving them non-standard currency that is difficult and expensive for them to convert or exchange is not fair to them.

Sorry that tipping is no longer fun. Come to think of it, if it were fun, more people would tip more, right?

Pam - As you could see by my "grin" I was only kidding. We have always tipped well beyond and over the expected amount. We have "fun" tipping, because we can tell that the crew really appreciate the extra cash. ;) Too bad not everyone tips - not even the recommended amounts.

The $2 bills were suggested on this board years ago because they were easier to handle. I am now glad to know that they are not an acceptable currency.

Tom, thanks so much for the explanation article. I just wish the cruiselines would put something out for all passengers. Maybe more passengers would leave gratuity and tip extra. Those of us on these boards are the more educated about the crew than those that do not read message boards. Before my parents started cruising with us, they cruised on HAL (only) and never left anything! HAL said it wasn't necessary and so they just didn't do it.

I will know what to leave on my next cruise...if I can ever talk my DH into another. :(

Why would you tip with a $2 bill anyway?

Because $2 is the perfect tip for little courtesies where $1 is too little and $5 is too much. Delivery of coffee or a similar small service. Carrying $50 worth of tips is easier with 25 bills than 50, so $2 bills are handy. And there's no problem doing this on itineraries where the crew can shop in US currency. For many other itineraries, passengers would be carrying Euros to shop locally, and those would work for cash tips for crew.

I had a post removed here today. I made the mistake of copying a small article, that had to do with this subject, onto my post, rather than just provide a link. This is a violation of CC guidelines. My mistake. Here is the link I should have prvided, you have to scroll down to near the bottom to see the article about $2 bill and such:

http://crewoffice.blogspot.com/2006_05_07_crewoffice_archive.html

We were discussing what kind of currency to give crew members for tips. If you are going to be paying for excursions or anything else on your ship board account with cash, the purser's desk will take any denomination you have. But most people pay with their credit cards.

If you are talking about independent excursions, I am not familiar with Jamaica, but I imagine they will take large bills as long as they don't have to give back a lot of change.

But most people pay with their credit cards.

If you are talking about independent excursions, I am not familiar with Jamaica, but I imagine they will take large bills as long as they don't have to give back a lot of change.

Tom is right on. They will gladly take USD for any excursions, etc; but don't expect them to have change in USD.

Mike:)

Tom is right on. They will gladly take USD for any excursions, etc; but don't expect them to have change in USD.

Mike:)

Thanks. I appreciate that information. We have independent excursions planned for both Jamaica & Grand Cayman. I'll be sure to have the correct change and enough for tips.

Archived