Which cruiseline do you perfer??

lady in tx

Hello everyone! I thought it would be fun if you could tell me which cruiseline you perfer to cruise and why you perfer it over others.:rolleyes: Looking forward to reading everyones responses!!:)

We generally go with Princess. We like their ships, itineraries, and service. Whenever we are looking for a particular cruise to an area we are considering, we find them very cost competitive.

We have tried a number of the other "majors" and hope to try some we haven't (RCCL for instance). No desire to try Carnival because not interested in their "glitzie" colors. But who knows, may try them someday.

I definitely prefer NCL - love their Freestyle policies. The Freestyle dress code deems "resort casual" dress as appropriate every night, including the optional formal night(s). I've done the formal nights a number of times on traditional lines and would prefer not to participate any longer.

To me, NCL's Freestyle dining is great, especially on their newer ships (Pearl, Jewel, Dawn, Star, Sun, and Spirit). They offer numerous dining venues with a wide variety of cuisines (e.g., Asian, Tex-Mex, Italian, French, steakhouse). I prefer dining when I want to - when I'm actually hungry or when it fits my schedule. No rushing following a late excursion. I've been known to have dinner early, go to the show, then go back to one of the dining rooms for a leisurely dessert and coffee. I prefer dining where I want from among the numerous choices offered. I prefer dining with whom I want - no assigned tables or assigned tablemates for me (crossing my fingers for compatible tablemates). An intimate table for two on one night; sharing a large table with newfound friends from the day's excursion; sharing a large table with total strangers if the mood strikes me - all possibilities with Freestyle dining.

I, on the other hand, do not like NCL. As shown in my signature, I was a loyal NCL cruiser until they went to Freestyle. I noticed a sharp decline in service and crew satisfaction. Remember, before NCL fans jump all over me, this is just my opinion.

I prefer RCI for their ships. I have never had sub-par service and their ships are, in my opinion, the best afloat. I love sitting up in the Viking Crown at night enjoying a cocktail, overlooking the whole ship and sea.

I'm also a big NCL fan. Freestyle is the only way I'm interested in cruising. I don't like being required to dress up, I never eat on a schedule when I'm home and don't want to have to plan on doing so at sea, and I'm not interested in being seated with a bunch of tablemates for an entire cruise.

We haven't had any large problems with the service on the NCL ships. For the most part, we've had excellent service from both the room stewards and the wait staff. Occasionally there is one night or so when the dining room service hasn't been up to par, but they've been few and far between. We've found the crew to be extremely friendly -- with smiles on their faces and a "How are you today" as we walk by, and more than willing to talk with us.

As the several of the other lines go more towards a "freestyle" atmosphere, I may eventually want to try another line, but right now we're totally satisfied with NCL and plan to continue sailing with them.

I, on the other hand, do not like NCL. As shown in my signature, I was a loyal NCL cruiser until they went to Freestyle. I noticed a sharp decline in service and crew satisfaction. Remember, before NCL fans jump all over me, this is just my opinion.

I prefer RCI for their ships. I have never had sub-par service and their ships are, in my opinion, the best afloat. I love sitting up in the Viking Crown at night enjoying a cocktail, overlooking the whole ship and sea.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I am the first person to admit that not everyone is cut out for Freestyle. But I do want to point out that, if your signature is all-inclusive, your only Freestyle cruise: 1) was on one of NCL's older ships (no longer in the fleet) not specifically designed for Freestyle dining; 2) occurred when Freestyle had just been introduced - I'm sure all the staff was still adjusting to the changeover; I, too, sailed on the Sea back in 2001 and it wasn't my best Freestyle experience either but every one since has been very good to excellent; and 3) was five years ago! I have been on RCI once and enjoyed the cruise, but I rarely offer my opinion about that cruise any longer because it was 6 years ago.

While we have cruised with Celebrity, Princess, RCCL and Carnival....for us it is Carnival as our first choice:D

We found Celebrity to be very posh and very quiet, almost like being in a library on most of the decks. When passing other passengers, it seemed that most people just nodded to each other or had no eye contact at all.

I will say that the food presentation on Celebrity and the wait staff were terrific, however, although the food was very good, it was also very, very rich with too many heavy sauces on almost every main entree.

Princess was a very pretty ship, and was somewhat a little more lively, but only until about 9:30pm.....even in the two main lounges. We love to dance, so that was a disappointment. The food main entrees were also very rich in sauces, mostly of French origin, however, their presentations were excellent.

RCCL has always been a close second for us in choice, however, we just returned from the Vision OTS, and as we have been on this same ship twice before in the last 4 years, we were a little disappointed, mainly in the food.

The RCCL windjammer (buffet) was just ok, but the dining room selections were poor at best. We found ourselves having the alternate selections 5 nights out of the 7. Their lobster night was actually a very small langostino or slipper type lobster, and they served it with shrip scampi on the same plate and they called it "seafood plate", there was actually no mention of a "lobster night"....:(

While the wait staff was pleasant, they were not excellent. Also it was wonderful to have had the new bedding....it was terrific! I will say one thing for RCCL, and that is the outstanding employees that had to handle the purser's duties.........they did an excellent job with some very unpleasant passengers, and our hat's are off to them.

As to Carnival......overall we absolutely love this cruise line! We have sailed on some the medium to large sized of this line, and they have really listened to their passengers as the years have gone by!

They have replaced most of their bedding with incredibly wonderful mattresses, pillows and comforters....yippee!

Yes, their ships are very colorful, but we find that it really puts you in the cruising mood. You can tell that from all of the smiles, and the hello's that you receive from the staff and crew, as well as other passengers as you go from deck to deck:)

Now as to the food......we love Carnival food:p We find that there are more selections, both in the buffet as well as in the dining rooms, and the wait staff seem to be very happy that you are there! When Carnival says they have a "lobster night", they really mean it! It is really a large lobster, and they will get you as many as you would like! We know that it is not usually the very large, white Maine lobster, however, it is a very good size and it is always great!

OK, I will get off of my soap box now, and please keep in mind these are purely the opinions of a couple in their late 50's, retired and living in beautiful Colorado;)

Happy cruising in whichever line you choose!

Rick and Janine

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I am the first person to admit that not everyone is cut out for Freestyle. But I do want to point out that, if your signature is all-inclusive, your only Freestyle cruise: 1) was on one of NCL's older ships (no longer in the fleet) not specifically designed for Freestyle dining; 2) occurred when Freestyle had just been introduced - I'm sure all the staff was still adjusting to the changeover; I, too, sailed on the Sea back in 2001 and it wasn't my best Freestyle experience either but every one since has been very good to excellent; and 3) was five years ago! I have been on RCI once and enjoyed the cruise, but I rarely offer my opinion about that cruise any longer because it was 6 years ago.

After that dreaded "freestyle" experience, I went on the Monarch of the Seas. That cruise, from the ship itself to the friendly staff, got me hooked on RCI. I do have numerous 1 ngt "cruise to nowheres" and other ship tours under my belt because my mother is a travel agent. I frequently join her in Miami for different cruise lines' presentations, so I am familiar with all cruise lines.

I have thought about trying NCL since then, but the reviews always turn me off. Last year, I considered a Hawaiian cruise on the Pride of (something???) I read the reviews and the bad outnumbered the good.

Of course, as I stated before, this is only one man's opinion. Different strokes for different folks!

We've only cruised on Celebrity, Oceania, Orient, and Princess--and Oceania is, by far, our favorite. We love the small ships, open seating dining, no formal nights, free specialty restaurants, interesting itineraries, tourist office reps on board at each port, extremely friendly staff, sofas in every cabin, alcohol brought on board permitted.

My favorite is Disney Cruise Line, which has a perfect mix of magic, fun, and class!!!:D I would even cruise on Disney without the children!

Coming in second is RCCL. I have sailed on the smallest, a medium size and one of the largest in this fleet. I enjoyed all of those...great sevice and food.

Carnival is a fine company, also. I will say that I enjoyed everything about the Glory, but wasn't crazy about the Sensation.

I have enjoyed all of my cruises, so far.:)

Really like the Carnival ships! I see them more as the Fun ships, not Party ships. They always have things going on, their food is awesome, the dining experience is always great with the waiters putting on performances each night, and the rooms are the biggest for the money (IMO) ;)

RCCL has the best Chocoholic buffet however, and that in itself is a good enough reason to vote RCCL second.

We loved the class and elegance of the Norway, but have no interest in trying the Freestyle way of dining.

We sail with Celebrity for the first time next year, so we'll be able to see how the Mercury ranks with my past experiences.

To me, cruising is the absolute best way to vacation! Each ship, each line has her own signature flavor and identity. What is right for me may not be right for some...and vice versa. But no matter what, I think it is all good! :)

I have been on 6 lines-my fav is Celebrity, next princess, next Disney, next Carnival, next Royal and the bottom of my list is HAL.

but that can change. I found HAL much too subdued but as I get older I find I am more subdued so maybe that would be a good fit for me now! I will say this: HAL and carnival are complete opposites and Princess falls somewhere in the middle. Celebrity and Royal are pretty opposite also.

We only said HAL. We are very young, yet we prefer everything about the cruiseline... especially the wonderful crew and all those extras on board. I love the fresh flowers everywhere. I love that ALL the kids on board are always well behaved.

I like the perks that go with the suites on HAL. I like the little pouches they send the docs in....

The little things make the biggest difference.

I've cruised Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCCL, and Celebrity. I think HAL is more elegant and reminiscent (SP???) of the old ocean liners. They make you really feel grand and special, like you were royalty instead of paying passengers. Teak wood promenade deck around the whole ship, wood deck chairs on the promenade with wool blankets to enjoy the open deck no matter the destination, lots of wood and brass everywhere. Chimes to call you to dinner. Deck boys in their little costumes walking around on the deck to make sure everyone has what they need, fresh flowers everywhere, real towels in the public restrooms (although Celebrity did have real towels in the public restrooms and teak deck in the suite area on deck 6 also). The Lido restaurant so if you choose not to go formal, you don't have to, my husband doesn't own a suit and wouldn't rent one, so we ate at the Lido alot. We loved the variety of food, and the few times I ate in the main dining room, the food and service were superb. I don't usually repeat vacations, but will be going back to Alaska on HAL a second time next year. Hope they still have the same GRAND atmosphere, food, and service.:D

We have sailed many of the mainstream lines and our preference is NCL. We have found the people (crew) on NCL seem to be the most friendly and seem to be inviting us into their home for the week.

I believe this friendliness stems from being NCL employees rather than being subcontractors from an employment service working on the ships. I also believe some of the other lines are getting away from this arrangement and hiring their crews directly. Maybe some of the other lines crews will start to exude some of these more friendly attitudes. We will see in April.

PE<---thinks "freestyle" is pretty damn nice too...

For the most part we like a quiet laid back vacation.

Celebrity tends to have fewer children, more mature and elegant.

We enjoy the formal dress codes, and the assigned seating times. Although X is starting to become more ridden with children and the dress codes are begining to lack.

Princess was nice, but a bit of an older crowd than we expected, but really fun old people. I don't like the anytime dining..and forget the dress codes as many many OLD polyesters had to die for the cruise we were on.:D

Carnival...well, wouldn't say no if someone was paying for me necessarily, it would depend on the itinerary. I've been twice and it was too many partiers, too many children, and the decor was just a bit too tacky.

RCCL...Well its a family line, lots of kids and everything you can find in your local downtown for food is available. I'm waiting for one of the specialty restaurants to include McDonalds, Burger King or Taco Bell in the near future... For me this is a step above Carnival but below Princess.

BUT I'd rather be cruising on a less favorable line than sitting in rush hour traffic...So I guess they are all good depending on you expectations, time constraints, and price ranges..

I still vote X for #1

Dave:eek:

It's a toss-up between Princess, HAL, and Celebrity for us. We're 44 and 50. Our last few cruises have been at Christmas, so we choose an older ship with a longer itinerary so that fewer families with children will be on it.

I wouldn't choose to sail on NCL or Carnival again. I'd go on Royal Caribbean on one of its smaller ships. The newest ones seem way too large. I don't want to feel like I'm in a floating mall.

:D Crystal----live the life.

I have never traveled on Crystal, but from what I read on this board, it

is very expensive. Do you, or anyone else on this board, know what a private yacht rental costs? I wondered what the cost comparison of say 2 or 3 couples getting together for a cruise on Crystal OR 2 OR 3 COUPLES GOING TOGETHER TO RENT A YACHT?

Just curious, as long as we are dreaming!:eek:

I have never traveled on Crystal, but from what I read on this board, it

is very expensive. Do you, or anyone else on this board, know what a private yacht rental costs? I wondered what the cost comparison of say 2 or 3 couples getting together for a cruise on Crystal OR 2 OR 3 COUPLES GOING TOGETHER TO RENT A YACHT?

Just curious, as long as we are dreaming!:eek:

Strangely enough I was looking up yacht charters this last week. You can do a week in the British Virgin Islands, all-inclusive for under $2000 a person. Pretty cheap to me!

Strangely enough I was looking up yacht charters this last week. You can do a week in the British Virgin Islands, all-inclusive for under $2000 a person. Pretty cheap to me!

WOW! That is pretty cheap, considering I just paid about $2800 for a balcony cabin on Constellation for New England/Canada for 11 days.

Is that just the yacht? When you say all inclusive does that include food? I wonder what it cost for someone to sail the yacht? I don't know how to sail, but it sure sound like fun.:D

Archived