How should I pack my formal gown

I have had good luck when I leave the dress in the dry cleaning plastic, then place it in a garment bag (to lessen folds). As soon as I get on the ship, I take it out of the plastic and hang it. If there are creases, the humidity in the sea air will take out some, and time in a steamy bathroom removes the rest.

If the dress is really creased, you can have it pressed on-board for a few dollars.

Hope this helps!

hey there!

lucky you to be cruising so soon! I am truly jealous! LOL

ok, i roll all my clothes even my gown, sometimes i will roll with dry cleaning bag or tissue paper, but always comes out great. i then hang it up immediately when i get to the cabin. i have never arrived to the dinning room in wrinkled attire. i do this with my hubbys clothes too.

i'm one of these low maintainence girls, this might not work for someone else...but suits me fine.

in my opinion, rolling makes less wrinkles in everything and makes for extra room in suitcase.

i wish you a very happy cruise!!!! All the best to you!

I'm with Water.Baby . Pack formal clothes on the top in the plastic cleaning bag and hang it in a steamy bathroom on arrival. I thnk this year I will also invest in a Travel steam iron. I love Cold water creek travel clothes. Your can pack them any old way and they never wrinkle!:o

My husband wears starched button-down collared shirts. I pack them on the hangers, in individual bags from the cleaner, and they come out amazing! I think he'll give most of them up for T-shirts! ;o) We are leaving next week (YAY!) on Radiance of the Seas to the eastern Caribbean and I am going to pack every item that needs hanging this way. AND...if there should be some stubborn wrinkles (I have one linen dress), the pressing charges are very reasonable...half the price of dry cleaning, i.e., only about $4.00. Have fun!!

Now I am in a pickle. I have just bought a new gown, very floaty and chiffony with a whaleboned corset type top. I never even thought about packing it and coming from the UK am not sure what to do.

One option is to carry it in a suit bag with husband's tux? But I am not sure what the restrictions on British Airways will be - guess I had better ring the airline nearer the time of our travel - Feb 2007.

The other option is to pack it as the very last item on top of our biggest suitcase.

I am hoping though that the creases will fall out since its organza and chiffon.

When I got married in Jamaica a few years ago I packed my wedding dress in a purpose made box full of tissue paper and was able to carry it on as hand luggage. When we got to Jamiaca customs the officer enquiried what was in the box and I said my wedding dress - he wanted me to take it out to show him and my husband to be was standing there. He made him turn his back...

Hello Jaronwood

I noticed that you wrote 'The other option is to pack it as the very last item on top of our biggest suitcase'; and I also noticed that you are flying with BA. We are going with BA this Christmas and we have been informed that the largest suitcase we can take can be 158cm maximum dimensions (this is the depth, width and length added together) and a max weight of 32kg x 2. We had to buy a new set of luggage as our original cases were to large. There are restrictions on hand luggage also. It might be worth you visiting their website @ www.ba.co.uk

Hope this Helps

Shellie x

I have to admit I was slightly skeptical when I first read the idea of plastic dry cleaner's bags.

I had ordered a long dress/gown from igigi.com which was shipped last Tuesday from San Fransisco. On it's way here to the East coast it was held up I don't know how many extra days by the snow/ice/blizzard in the midwest.

It was delivered to my home yesterday. I took it out of the box, the dress had been folded in half and then folded in half again and when I tell you it did not have one single crease, wrinkle or otherwise...It was on a hanger with plastic over the entire length of the dress. WOW, does that plastic work perfectly!

Guess what I am collecting until I begin packing 15 days from now?

:D ........are the BEST, BEST, BEST things to prevent

wrinkles!

I learned about them from these boards before my very

first cruise. I don't pack without them now.:)

My formal things go inside the bags and I agree with with everyone

who says put them in last....it works for me every time!

Gotta love those drycleaner bags;)

I was just at the dry cleaner's yesterday and they had a recycling bin for folks to place their unwanted dry cleaner's bags. Maybe other dry cleaner's have this and would be willing to part with the ones up for recycling. Just a thought....

I don't think it much matters whether you put something in the top or bottom of your suitcase because once the baggage handlers get a hold of it ~ you never know which end will be up;)

For us, we use a garment bag that we only fold once we get to the airport.

Archived