Preferred tender access & jumping the line...

ekerr19

If it were intended that gold card holders could go to the head of the line then they'd have "priority tendering" both from and to the ship. But it's only from the ship to shore which, logically, means that you only get to skip getting a tender ticket (since there are no 'tender tickets' for getting back to the ship).

I’m not certain that I can fully articulate my feelings on this issue because I think it’s more complex than just boarding the tender.

We travel as suite guests because of the added value to our family, and the low key relaxed atmosphere that the staff is able to provide. We like the ability to slip by unnoticed and get along unfettered, and the staff seems to work very hard to make these things happen. Most of the suite guests tend to also look for this type of service, and quite frankly, the waving of a gold card to advance down a queue seems quite contrary to good service. It seems that there is a growing group of guests that have paid for their suite and now they are determined to extract every benefit in full view of everyone.

I look at these services as something private and special. It is not necessary to broadcast your use of these services, and in fact I think it greatly diminishes the value when being so overt. The benefits of the suite services should be transparent beyond the Neptune Lounge and are so wonderful that it should be never be necessary for someone to artificially heighten the value by pushing past another guest, just because they think they can.

Very well said OceanLiner. :)

I am amazed by some of the behavior I've witnessed. From the ladies fighting with Concierge over the last available cabana at HMC to the folks demanding additional gold "sticky" stars that identified them as S category at embarkation - these folks wanted to wear them for the entire cruise so everyone would know they were in a Suite. I offered them ours as we don't usually put them on at embarkation - I felt sorry for the Concierge.

Laura.....

What do you mean about the gold stars?

Because of comments made by many suite guests about how distasteful they were, HAL had stopped using them and went back to the priority boarding cards.

PLEASE don't say they are back to using the gold stars????

I'm curious...

How many of you who have been in suites have worn the boutonniere or corsage provided for the first formal night (or do they still do this)? Although I love flowers, I've been wondering how I will feel wearing a corsage? Maybe I am being overly sensitive, but to me this just screams, “look at me.”

OceanLiner, very well said. :)

I'm curious...

How many of you who have been in suites have worn the boutonniere or corsage provided for the first formal night (or do they still do this)? Although I love flowers, I've been wondering how I will feel wearing a corsage? Maybe I am being overly sensitive, but to me this just screams, “look at me.”

Not all of the people you see wearing flowers are in suites, though, as they can be purchased seperately. Makrewser will sometimes wear them, sometimes not, depending on the clothes she has on. Me, I can't see the difference, but guys are like that.:rolleyes:

I'm curious...

Ours were thrown out in the unopened package. If priority tender meant going to the head of the line, then the suite passengers would be given the directions on how to go the back way to the tender area just the way the butler's for HMC take you. Doesn't happen. So we get in line and wait our turn.

Not all of the people you see wearing flowers are in suites, though, as they can be purchased seperately. Makrewser will sometimes wear them, sometimes not, depending on the clothes she has on. Me, I can't see the difference, but guys are like that.:rolleyes:

Okay, I feel better.

LOL...And my hubby would be the same as you. :)

Ours were thrown out in the unopened package. If priority tender meant going to the head of the line, then the suite passengers would be given the directions on how to go the back way to the tender area just the way the butler's for HMC take you. Doesn't happen. So we get in line and wait our turn.

That makes sense about the butlers. Having not been on a HAL cruise, I don't have a clue how they work things. Yet. :)

Laura.....

What do you mean about the gold stars?

Because of comments made by many suite guests about how distasteful they were, HAL had stopped using them and went back to the priority boarding cards.

PLEASE don't say they are back to using the gold stars????

Sail -

It was awhile ago, thankfully. I really disliked them, so did DH - we felt like we were back in grade school or something.... "and here's a gold star for you, for being such a good little...." :cool:

On our last two cruises (when we booked Suites) we had priority boarding cards.

Phew......thank you, Laura. I was not happy to think those 'stars' were back.

About the corsages........Yes, I often pin it to my evening purse. I love flowers and enjoy any fresh flower. My husband more often than not wears a white dinner jacket (but sometimes a traditional black tuxedo) and wears the flower on his lapel.

(I always cut a small piece of the celephane in which the flowers are delivered to use as a backing if he is wearing his white jacket. That green wrapping around the flower stem stains. If I were to pin his flower direct to his jacket without that small piece of celophane, he'd have a miserable green spot on the jacket.)

Three comments:

1) While we were in a suite last cruise we didn't really use our "priority" tendering. First of all, we only tendered at one stop and that was HMC. Secondly, we'd rented a cabana and there was some kind of deal to get us off the ship early anyhow. Won't be in a suite next cruise so it won't be an issue but personally I'd not jump to the head of a line.

2) Corsages...hmmm....guess we were tacky but we wore ours on the Volendam. We liked it. Never crossed my mind that we were doing a "hey, look at me" thing. Maybe if they'd asked before they delivered them to our cabin we might have declined but once they were there I didn't see any reason to waste them.

3) Priority boarding passes....yep....still got ours. Thought it was kind of funny at the time but we arrived at the terminal between 1:00 and 1:30 PM. Guess we hit a period between early and late boarders as we couldn't have gotten on the ship any quicker....there couldn't have been 50 passengers in the check-in lines. Went to board the ship with our little priority passes in hand and there wasn't anybody in line trying to get on so they were no use. Accidently stuffed them away in my DW's purse and we found them when we got home so that's why we still have them.

Corsages...hmmm....guess we were tacky but we wore ours on the Volendam. We liked it. Never crossed my mind that we were doing a "hey, look at me" thing. Maybe if they'd asked before they delivered them to our cabin we might have declined but once they were there I didn't see any reason to waste them.

I don't think I'll waste it either. I love flowers and I'm going to wear mine. I hope you didn't take offense to the "hey, look at me" comment. I didn't mean for it to come off the way it did. :)

No problem Twinkletoes. :) We love the formal nights, saw the flowers as a nice touch and thought no more of it than that. We also love flowers and I always order roses for my DW for our cabin. We don't have as many flowers here in San Antonio as we did in Virginia because of the hot, hot summers so the cruise is a nice time and place for me to treat my wife.

We've never jumped to the front of the line and don't recall seeing anyone do that.

We did get hassled by cruise staff for not have a tender number after getting to the back of the line. When we moved up to where he was collecting he insisted we have a ticket - when we reminded him we didn't need one he rolled his eyes and let us on the tender.

I felt bad cause other people had turned around during the discussion with him and yet we had done nothing wrong.

As for the flowers I always pin it to my purse cause I'm afriad the pin might mess up my outfit. Not to be snotty but I wish they would use something other than a carnation.

(I always cut a small piece of the celephane in which the flowers are delivered to use as a backing if he is wearing his white jacket. That green wrapping around the flower stem stains. If I were to pin his flower direct to his jacket without that small piece of celophane, he'd have a miserable green spot on the jacket.)

Sail -

That's a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing it - Sonny always wears his, I am like you and try and find another spot for it, but a lot depends on the dress I'm wearing. I think it's nice little touch - I never thought it singled anyone out, I know people who order them - twinkletoes, no problem here either, good question to ask.

How often do we have the opportunity to do this anymore? :) That's why I like it...

No problem Twinkletoes. :) We love the formal nights, saw the flowers as a nice touch and thought no more of it than that. We also love flowers and I always order roses for my DW for our cabin. We don't have as many flowers here in San Antonio as we did in Virginia because of the hot, hot summers so the cruise is a nice time and place for me to treat my wife.

We also love formal nights. I love to get all dolled-up for an evening out. Ahhh...roses for your wife. I love getting flowers...especially roses. Texas is hot. We always go to Dallas over Labor Day weekend, and we usually bake. This past year it was cooler, and I think it even rained. I don't know how you Texans deal with the heat. We live in Kansas...and it gets hot...but nothing like Texas.

Tom has almost always worn his corsage, with the exception of one time on the Oosterdam we place them in the frig and forgot the. But I think I have only worn mine twice out of 7 times. I actually did wear mine on the Zaandam.

This is a bad picture of us that I did not place in our web shots but as you can see we are wearing them.:)

2108069141_MSZaandamNov16th-26th2006040.jpg.7e6cbcadf1fe24acc2a2ef405388165e.jpg

As for the flowers I always pin it to my purse cause I'm afriad the pin might mess up my outfit. Not to be snotty but I wish they would use something other than a carnation.

Boy do i feel the same way. I mean a flower is a flower, and i love them all, but all i can say to a carnation is "ehhh".:rolleyes:

I wrote to HAL and asked this question and this was my response.

Dear Mrs. Switenki,

Thank you for your correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your upcoming cruise on the ms Volendam on January 12.

Priority tendering means that the staff will deliver you a special tender card the evening prior to the stop. You would be able to disembark prior to other guests (they usually will assign different colored cards, and yours would be among the first to be called)

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance. We are confident our Signature of Excellence will surpass your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you on board in the near future.

Warm regards,

John

Internet Department

Holland America Line

877-724-5425

Priority tendering means that the staff will deliver you a special tender card the evening prior to the stop. You would be able to disembark prior to other guests (they usually will assign different colored cards, and yours would be among the first to be called)

I think they just use different colored cards now ... not special tickets for suite passengers.

I still don't understand what the issue is with the priority tendering ... nor any need to "jump" the line. The priority tendering is only for the early hours ... right after the ship anchors. It is a means to allow suite passengers to disembark first, without the need of going to the Queen's Lounge to get a ticket (like all the common folks have to do if they are not on HAL shore excursions). You would never need to "jump" the line in the first place, because the only people who should be down at that tender station right after the ship anchors would be other suite passengers and people on HAL shore excursions. The Queen's Lounge wouldn't even be open yet for the distribution of tender tickets because they usually wait until the shore excursion folks radio that all of their people are off the ship. Only then would they open the doors and start handing out tender tickets. Ideally, with your gold card as a suite passenger, you would already be onshore by that time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived