Boo Hoo

yellowbird23

I want to go, but checkbook says no! I envy all who have cruises lined up for this coming year. Maybe I should get a job? But if I get a job, then I can't cruise because I'd have no vacation time and would have to work. Oh...decisions, decisions. Hope you all have wonderful trips. Anyone want to buy some depression glass? hehehe (don't tell my hubby);)

Hi Patty:

Sorry to hear your checkbook is treating you badly. For my first cruise I wondered if I should spend the money, because, you know, there are always more "practical" things one can think of. So I decided to keep an envelope hidden in my bedroom. Whenever I got money outside my normal revenue streams, I diligently put it in that envelope. That way, I could keep my vacation dream alive without any guilt that I was pulling resources away from other practical things, or from socially responsible things like charitable giving. By strictly adhering to this plan I was surprised how quickly small amounts here or there added up. Before too long I was able to go on some guilt-free cruise shopping!

Best,

Paul

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, have the time (retired) and have to solo as my DW cannot sail as often as me due to her physical limitations. The only difficulty is deciding on what ship to where? Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

And I am in a 3rd category......I work full time and I am on my own.

I have been with same company 16 years and get alot of

vacation time.

Patty, no vacation time if you work?:eek: not sure I get that part.....

I try to cruise every vacation:) and I would be hard pressed

to share a cabin again.

I love having my own space and cruising is the most

awesome vacation:)

I sail 2 weeks from SUNDAY:D

Lois R>>What I meant is that if I went back to work to afford another cruise, then I would have to wait at least a year to go on that cruise because I wouldn't accrue vacation time for quite some time, probably a year.

Bummer! :cool:

Lois R>>What I meant is that if I went back to work to afford another cruise, then I would have to wait at least a year to go on that cruise because I wouldn't accrue vacation time for quite some time, probably a year.

Patty,

I took a year off, returning to work last May only because I had a cruise lined up for October. I worked five months and took 3 weeks off. It can be done! When you are in negotiations with the potential employer say you already have a trip planned, paid for, etc., and that part of the package must include 2 (or in my case 3) weeks off during the month of [fill in the blank]. I told them I would take the time unpaid, however, that would have given me 6 weeks off (3 paid, 3 unpaid) in my first year, so they "insisted" I use whatever accumulated vacation time I had to cover part of the 3 weeks off. It worked out for me. Hope it does for you, too.

I was lucky enough to find a job doing what I love as an independent contractor and name my own hours. My expertise in my field is not easy to find so they are happy with this arrangement.

I work one or two days a week as needed and am free to take weeks here and there as needed. It's enough to support my cruising habit and help them out at the same time. :D

You can often negotiate with a new employer. I've done it. Of course, you may not get paid for your vacation time, but often they will let you take a reasonable amount if you have something you want to do.

I'm faced with this same situation right now. I am probably going to be starting a second job after the new year, and have already planned my "story" for how I am going to get the time to take off almost the entire month of April. I have the vacation time to do it on my primary job, but won't have it for this new job. But ... believe me, it can be done ... not with pay ... but it can be done.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi, I am so lucky then....and I know it and am thankful

every day about it...especially thankful because

I sail a week from Sunday:D.

Just had my 16th Anniversary where I work....lots of vacation

time AND a GREAT BOSS too:) can't get much better

than that;)

• 2 weeks later...

another option might be to cut back in some areas- for example- if you go out to dinner every sat. night - cut back to every other sat. night and put the money you would have spent on those 2 dinners in your cruise envelope-

just an idea- hope you are able to talk your checkbook into cruising again sooner than you thought....:)

for that extra $$$ to pamper myself with a cruise, i have an old 1.75 ltr jack daniels bottle in the bedroom. every night i empty out the ashtray in my car, pockets, etc of 'change' i can usually fill it up in about 3 months to the top. would you believe that little bottle holds about $250-$300 in change!!!! after 9 months, i have my $$$ for the cruise and spending $$$, and it's all paid for with pocket change!

I have figured out a way to afford the cruise I want, but don't know if I have the guts to do it. If I just quit smoking (a carton a week at $40/week), I'd have enough to go. If I start my cessation on the cruise, I'd have 12 days to "kick the habit". What do y'all think? Good idea?:eek:

Archived