How far the should the criticism be allowed to go?

Sea King

I admit I'm new to this board.

For the most part, I read cruise reviews to learn the "good and bad" of what happened (or may have happened) on a particular itinerary or scan topics that might "catch my eye"

Recently, I've noticed a disturbing trend .. at least disturbing to me

Criticisms by posters against other posters that "border on personal attack"

In fact, one very recent thread IMO went over the line .. there was no excuse IMHO for the comments other than to embarrass and hurt

Have any of you seen the same "current"?

Critical comments are one thing; don't think Baccardi will be financing my next cruise:)

personal attacks or vindictive comments, however, are an entirely different animal

What do you think?

As importantly, how do we put an end to it?

Sea King, morality is a worldwide pervasive subject. As far as the boards go, the host/moderators can clean house when alerted to bad behavior. The HAL board is very friendly. Bear in mind that most agree that there is so much the cruise lines do so well, but even as the name Cruise CRITIC implies, critical observations/experiences are discussed as well as fun stuff too.

I haven’t noticed vindictive comments too much on the HAL board, but definitely on others. There are also those who just want to get a “rise” out of people. Life is too short, don’t take it too seriously. If you have a problem, just contact our gracious hosts. :)

Mark….

Over the years I have seen a lot of attacks and flaming at various times on this board. Sometimes it does get out of hand. Other times we seem to go for long periods of time before anyone is flamed or attacked.

There is a red triangle in the upper right hand corner (by the number of posts in a thread) that you can click onto to notify a HOST if you think things are getting out of hand.

The HOSTS make the final decision as to whether a thread should be removed or just closed.

At least the HAL forum is a lot more civil than many that you find out in there in Cyberspace!! That said, even here, there are some that feel they need to use sarcastic/snide/belittling comments to make their point. As carlalena1 said, just learn who you should ignore!

"You" (the collective you) can't put an end to what others write. A couple of options are to not read the post and if you find a certain person particularly annoying, put them on your ignore list.

There's the old, cliched phrase from bad western movies "Smile when you say that, pardner". We can't see the face of someone posting a comment or response on this or any other bulletin board. You also can't hear voice inflections. Both of these things have a lot to do with how we react to someone, when we are speaking face to face.

My point is that I have seen flame wars break out because someone over-reacted to or misunderstood someone else's post. Often times, printed words can seem much more aggressive or insulting than the same words spoken face to face, when we can see the speaker's face and hear their voice.

When I post something, I always try to re-read what I've just typed, to see if my post falls into this category, or if it might be misunderstood. Sometimes, I revise what I've written to reduce the chances that someone will take offense. I try to read others' posts with this thought in mind, as well. I try not to be too thin-skinned.

On those relatively rare occasions when someone IS being obnoxious, I have learned to just say to myself "what a jerk", and stop reading the thread without responding.

YMMV.

Paul Noble :)

My point is that I have seen flame wars break out because someone over-reacted to or misunderstood someone else's post.
I agree, Paul. In all of life, most problems arise due to misunderstandings/misinterpretations. I've seen that here. Someone makes a certain comment that's in opposition to what someone else posted, and the OP takes it as a personal affront. It was likely not meant that way, just a strongly-held counter opinion. But it was personalized by someone.

So far, I haven't seen an direct comment like "you're an idiot, you stupid moron!" Let's hope it never comes to that.

Good question. I've suggested in posts that if you don't have something nice to say to other posters, don't say it. And I have been blasted as the thread police, etc.

I don't know what can be done, but there are several boards that I no longer vist because of posters who attack other posters. I know people have had problems on their cruises, and I think some of them are just whiners, but why attack them? It's against the terms here, and it's just not needed.

I can't imagine being a moderator on some of those boards. It would be a full-time job.

I also find it weird that some posters take negative comments so personally. Why would they? They don't own the cruise line, so if there is a problem, then it benefits all of the customers for these issues to be addressed.

There are certain posters that I never respond to. I've also noticed a few that seem to be just trolls. They have a pattern. And if I have any doubt about the type of poster I am dealing with, I'll read though some of their posts for the last month or so. You'd be surprised to see how many of them are just nasty in all their posts.

IMO, HAL is very civilized. Yes, there are some posters that can't seem to understand how to be polite, but I ignore them. You will see that when someone has a complaint, for the most part, they will receive a polite response and wish them well. My favorite nasty comment..."Fine, don't cruise anymore...that will leave more room for me on the ship." I do think that some of these posters goal is to get the complaint thread to get so out of control that it gets pulled. Why, I don't know. Unless they are employeed by the cruise lines. But that seems like a lot of effort of the cruise lines part. Or maybe that's just the type of person they are. It is, afterall, the Internet.

Gotta love it. But really, if you want to see some nasty stuff, venture out to some of the other boards.

First off, let me point out that I have yet to take a cruise that I didn't enjoy immensely if not more!

These Hal Boards are mostly friendly, and the cruise crowd aboard ship even more so. Yes, we have read some critical comments, but none that would sway our judgement about booking a HAL cruise. What we experienced on board so far was much to our liking, and the experience of personal enjoyment far outweighs any negative comments posted here. We have taken four HAL cruises that included roughly 5000 passengers, and we only ran into one pathetic old drunk. (It was me! :D )

My guess is that just about everyone on this forum either already has a HAL cruise booked, or is contemplating another cruise. That alone has to speak volumes.

As a person who has been flamed on this board, beyond any bounds of reason by people, some of whom did not even read what they were flaming about...

...when you find a post you think is objectionable, or you find a thread that is going over the edge, just walk away. Don't contribute your opinion, don't get angry in your chair at home, just walk away. You may, as happened to me that time, have misinterpreted something meant lightly, fell into the pack mentality and spent the better part of a week ripping and tearing.

When just one person flames another, I leave the thread and never go back. If I'm needed there, my e-mail address is in my sig. Life's too short; I've plenty of books and two recent issues of "Trains" magazine to read.

When I've seen someone personally attacked on a thread - particularly if it is JUST an attack - and adds NO information, I click on the little 'yield' symbol at the upper right of each posting. This alerts the moderators to the particular post.

If someone is just always rude but doesn't attack any individuals, the 'ignore' feature is a GOOD thing.

I really enjoy reading the comments by most. The mederators seem to control those who get out of line. However, I get concerned when they decide to close a thread because of a few bad apples. They should just delete those comments that are not appropriate.

As well, I really find that some people can't stay on topic and those messages should be removed as well as the "flamers".

Having said that, I will put up with all of the above if that's what it takes to keep these forums going. I have learned so much from other cruisers.

Griswalds

However, I get concerned when they decide to close a thread because of a few bad apples. They should just delete those comments that are not appropriate.
You will find this does not happen on the HAL CC board. If things really get out of hand, or we go so OT that the thread is no longer recognizable, Host Walt will come in and give us a very gentle "It's been fun, folks, but it's over." He will edit, rather than close. Not all hosts are that way.

I have also noticed that many new people to Cruise Critic are attacked if they have any negative comments. I joined this site about 5 yrs ago and learn many things from cruise travelers on this site. I personally, donot respond to anyone that is flaming another person. I cruise on all cruiselines and there are people on some of the other Cruiseline Boards that really enjoy being nasty. You have to take it where it comes from. They must not be very "Happy People". So best to ignore them! Lets continue being helpful to each other. IKE

My point is that I have seen flame wars break out because someone over-reacted to or misunderstood someone else's post. Often times, printed words can seem much more aggressive or insulting than the same words spoken face to face, when we can see the speaker's face and hear their voice.

YMMV.

Paul Noble :)

I agree w/ your post Paul.

I'm a big fan of emoticons :) This can help the reader put the words into context.

But it seems the people (not just these boards) who overreact are the ones who ignore smiley faces and such. I find the HAL boards to be more civilized as another has mentioned.

I agree with what many others have said. For the most part the HAL board is very civil and, in fact, mostly friendly.

But I can understand if you come to this board just as a controversial thread has broken out, you could get the wrong impression.

Sometimes we get upset with each other, sometimes we misunderstand. Often we apologize and people make up and move on. The thread this OP mentions did get messy, but I'm glad it was allowed to stand because it really did quiet down and people got to have their say.

This board is much like life. We can't get along every single second and we're going to disagree. But for the most part it's a fun place to visit. If it weren't, I wouldn't come here at all.

The HAL board is actually one of the friendlier ones on CC. e.g., head over to the Celebrity boards and say something mildly bad about X and watching the feeding frenzy that ensues!

But as for me, I agree with Professor Henry Higgins:

"I'm a very gentle man,

even tempered and good natured

who you never hear complain,

Who has the milk of human kindness

by the quart in every vein,

A patient man am I, down to my fingertips,

the sort who never could, ever would,

let an insulting remark escape his lips

Very gentle man... "

:rolleyes:

But as for me, I agree with Professor Henry Higgins:

-dam, -dam, -dam, -dam.

I've grown accustomed to HAL's ships.

They're so nice when day begins.

I've grown accustomed to the way

They sparkle night and day.

The tuxes, the gowns,

There's just no frowns --

It's second nature to me now,

Like eating out or ordering in.

I was supremely independent

And so happy when on X,

Carnival was great

especially with those topless decks.

I've grown accustomed to the smiles,

Accustomed to the chimes,

Accustomed to the line.

or Freddy:

I have often sailed on cruise ships before;

But the decks have always stayed beneath my feet before.

All at once am I several stories high

When the fairy upgrades me on HAL.

Is the coffee good in the Neptune lounge?

Do the snacks keep flowing so there is no need to scrounge?

Does enchantment pour out the cabin door?

No it's just on the DAM ships of HAL!

Just go over to the Carnival board and start a thread about ordering two entrees. I dare you. Or anything whatsoever having to do with formal night. Or pizza- that's a good one.

When you are done, go to NCL and start a thread along the lines of... "Freestyle: good or bad?" or "Dawn :) , Spirit :mad: ."

-dam, -dam, -dam, -dam.

I've grown accustomed to HAL's ships.

They're so nice when day begins.

I've grown accustomed to the way

They sparkle night and day.

The tuxes, the gowns,

There's just no frowns --

It's second nature to me now,

Like eating out or ordering in.

I was supremely independent

And so happy when on X,

Carnival was great

especially with those topless decks.

I've grown accustomed to the smiles,

Accustomed to the chimes,

Accustomed to the line.

Fabulous!!!:D

Dear SEA KING , WE meet again. I'm the one who made a jest of using a listerine bottle for someones rum. lo and behold !! you blasted me with many unkind words and accusations. Now you cry the blues. Look in the mirror and see who you are talking too. :rolleyes:

In deference to Tom and Dave, with no malice aforethought, apologies for my own Cruise Critic shortcomings, and with thanks due to Messieurs Lerner and Lowe...

Words, words! I'm so sick of words!

I get words all day through,

First from him, now from you!

Is that all you blighters can do?

Don't talk of blame,

Don't talk of spite,

If you think you're right

Show me!

Tell me no tales,

Call me no liar,

If peace you aspire

Show me!

Here we are together in the middle of a thread!

Please let's not fight! Let's make up instead!

Anyone who's ever being basted says the same,

This is no place for a flame!

Why are some folks

Always so rough?

If you've had enough

Show me!

Please let's not fight

any more now,

If you want calm

Show me how!

Archived