Transfer-Civitavecchia to Rome

Has anyone used a transfer service from the cruise ship dock in Civitavecchia to Rome hotel? Realize there is a train, but we require some assistance with luggage so train won't work for us. Thanks for your help.

Here's a suggestion for you, have ONE person from your party go to Rome with the cruise line transfer and the rest of you take the train. Sounds like you just need to get the luggage to Rome and you can save some money.

ENJOY!

Glenn

Has anyone used a transfer service from the cruise ship dock in Civitavecchia to Rome hotel? Realize there is a train, but we require some assistance with luggage so train won't work for us. Thanks for your help.

We did the Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona with Celebrity in May 06. We did our own transport in Venice and Barcelona and our opinion now is use the cruise line transport. By the time we paid the high taxi fares, the long waiting lines for cabs, and the language difficulty we now plan to do the cruise line's transfer for long hauls as you have for Rome. We didn't save much by going on our own. If you take the inconvience into consideration, then we probably paid more on our own. If you have someone to share with, it could be cheaper. Hope this helps your decision.

:) Dancermom5

With due respect to the previous poster, arranging your own transport is FAR easier and cheaper than any cruise option...as long as you do it in advance.

We've paid no more than half the cruise line rate ever, even when there's just been two of us.

I do not have our information with me re Rome transport, but will come back and post that for you. There are many reputable companies for you to choose from, and searching this board is a great resource.

We'll arrive in Civitivecchia this spring from a Transatlantic, and will definately use a professional private service (who are respectful of your luggage, know EVERY road, have great backup, speak very good English and are usually very personable and informative).

Happy sailing...

The transfer problem is always a problem for this port. We have tried everything over the years including using the train, taxis, pre-arranged transfers, cruise line transfers and rental cars (yeah, we have been there more than a few times). Our favorite plan is to simply rent a car in Italy (usually for at least a week) and either drop or pick-up in Civatavecchia depending on whether the cruise begins or ends at that port (we avoid round trip cruises from this port). After driving thousands of miles throughout Italy, I cannot imagine seeing the country any other way..but I do recognize that not everyone is comfortable driving in a foreign country. This being said, I certainly would not recommend that anyone drive inside Rome. But driving through Tuscany, Umbria, the Lake District, etc is just an absolute joy.. with new discoveries at every turn.

Hank

Tim,

The problem I have with the cruiseline transfers is that they only take you to or from the airport, unless you are using one of their hotels pre or post cruise. You would still need to find transportation to your hotel from the airport if you book your own.

PBungay,

I will send you a note, since we have booked a van service for May; but would like to find other alternatives that folks recommend if we should need it.

As I recall, Cruise Critic asks us not to post business type web links, but I found the info for the Rome transfer company we use. Feel free to e-mail me, and I'll send you the link to their website.

The CC guidelines only ask that your response is to an actual request by another poster and that it's not an advertisement for your own business.

In that regard, there have been lots of transfer companies recommended on these boards.

We used Rome Airport Shuttle in both directions (we did a pre and post-cruise stay). We managed to find people to share the cost, so it was even cheaper. They are very efficient and will meet you and your party with a sign bearing your name at the dock.

We also looked into Rome-Shuttle Limousine.

I could see where it would be a problem if you were going early or staying late.

We are doing a b2b 12 day, then 14 day transatlantic. Problem we are running into is which day to go into Rome. Dont really want to go to the Vatican on a Sunday. Maybe we will go both days, do whatever else on Sunday, then do Vatican on Monday.

Any suggestions?

Tim

As I recall, Cruise Critic asks us not to post business type web links, but I found the info for the Rome transfer company we use. Feel free to e-mail me, and I'll send you the link to their website.

ebungay@tampabay.rr.com :cool:

This information is incorrect. As a poster later replies, the posting of a recommendation must be in response to a request. Therefore, it is permissable for you to post recommendations for transfer service companies here.

Should you have questions about CruiseCritic policies, please refer to the Community Guidelines. There is a link at the top of each page of this website.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Thought I would share: I e-mailed Romelimosines for a quote yesterday and the quote came back at 220 E for 2 people in April of 2007. That's $292 at the exchange rate today. Makes the ship transfer less than half that price.

Interesting & Strange...we received the response below the other day for a booking for 4 in April 2007 from Rome Limousines for $175 Euro, which makes it substantially less than the $164 per couple HAL wants.

"We can provide you with a Mercedes Luxury Mini-Van (or similar) for 175,00 €uros for all 4 persons and their luggage. Unlike some other Italian car firms,

we NEVER charge extra for luggage, parking fees, or taxes."

Again, these are only our (and our friends) experiences, but this (and every other shuttle service we've used) consistently beat the cruise lines by a large amount.

Via these boards I found www.romashuttle.com

Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Picked up my relations on time from the port, waiting with sign as requested and sent large van.

En route to airport they realised they had had a 'senior moment' and had forgotten their passports......Carlo the driver was fantastic - did a u-turn, flew back to the ship and then zoomed to the airport to ensure they caught their flight.

At the airport he still quoted the original fare of €110 - considering he had done the journey practically 4 times....Great company and hope fellow CCers use them when in Rome

Sorry, I had a senior moment in my last post. The quote from Bob was 165 Euros which at todays rate equates to $219. Carnival is quoting $75 per person. Bob did tell me in a follow up that it is because we have 2 bags each and therefore need a Van.

Archived