Footwear question??

DaisyGirl55

I am a jeans and sneakers kind of girl. Have no problem layering my tops, and wearing my jeans when I go to Alaska. My questions is this....do I need footwear other than sneakers? As most of you know, once sneakers get wet, they take a while to dry out. Would different shoes be better to pack for my cruise?

i had a pair of ankle hi slip-ons that were waterproof and they were perfect. DH wears merrells, but they were old ones and i did the spray waterproofing. our feet stayed dried and whole trip and i got drenched standing out on capt larry's back deck on his purple boat. it was raining and i refused to come in.:D

These Merrill Chameleon's look very nice -- and Campmor has them on sale now, via the link you provided. Thanks, Bunduo!

I just ordered a pair each for my husband and I; we are off to Alaska next May, and wanted waterproof, lightweight footwear that will work for hiking or boat trips.

We tend to do a fair amount of hiking in California, too, so we'll have a chance to test them out before our trip.

Wonder if it would also be a good idea to bring along regular rubber rainboots, in case it is wet and we want to spend time on deck anyway?

wet feet are no fun.

Cheers,

Mary

the only time we didn't have rain was on sea days..they were sunny and nice. every port we had rain, ketchikan was the only place with puddles..everywhere else it was draining off. i had weatherproof bass shoes. i don't know who stayed drier..dh's merrells or my bass. wet jeans, wet hair..dry feet. i doubt you would need rubber rain boots..seems like a lot of pack. i did spray our tennys for water proofing, just for a change of shoes.

These Merrill Chameleon's look very nice -- and Campmor has them on sale now, via the link you provided. Thanks, Bunduo!

I just ordered a pair each for my husband and I; we are off to Alaska next May, and wanted waterproof, lightweight footwear that will work for hiking or boat trips.

We tend to do a fair amount of hiking in California, too, so we'll have a chance to test them out before our trip.

Wonder if it would also be a good idea to bring along regular rubber rainboots, in case it is wet and we want to spend time on deck anyway?

wet feet are no fun.

Cheers,

Mary

Mary, you won't be disappointed. I, too, was pleasantly surprised at the price. Both pairs of mine cost in the $90 range. The first pair are now used for mowing the lawn. They look like hell but the vibram sole is still in good shape and the support is still very good. My feet have never been wet in either pair so I don't think rainboots would be necessary.

My wife and I were stationed in California and miss it terribly.

-Matt :)

DW and I purchased Merrell Jungle Mocs and their waterproofing spray before we went to Holland last spring.

Without a doubt they are the most comfortable walking shoes we have ever found. Also, the waterproofing is amazing. We had dry feet during a rainy day in the Netherlands and again this September in Rome one day when it poured all day long.

We have done extensive walking in these shoes without any discomfort at all and our feet have stayed dry in very wet weather.

Here is a link to Merrell Jungle Mocs for women:

http://www.merrellboot.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?NavID=FT-TW-MOC&PID=7074

the BASS shoes i have look like that..only with a leather upper. waterproof unders and soles. very comfy. i was working at the store when i got them on employee discount..but they only run about $54. the waterproof spray is great..did it on our windbreakers, sneakers. saved the day since all port days had rain. we were warm and dry the whole time.

Mary, you won't be disappointed. I, too, was pleasantly surprised at the price. Both pairs of mine cost in the $90 range. The first pair are now used for mowing the lawn. They look like hell but the vibram sole is still in good shape and the support is still very good. My feet have never been wet in either pair so I don't think rainboots would be necessary.

My wife and I were stationed in California and miss it terribly.

-Matt :)

I see they also make a lightweight hiking boot: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173187&memberId=12500226

Just wondering, for purposes of glacier hiking, if crampons will fit on the regular trail shoes, or would the hiking boots be better?

Could someone please fill me in on this waterproofing spray? Myself and two women friends are going on our first Alaska cruise this May--Regent line. I was already wondering if I needed waterproof pants. I have some good waterproof shoes. Can you tell me about this spray? Does it wash off? I guess I'm asking, will it at all ruin whatever pants/jacket I spray it on? Thanks so much. Any other tips are appreciated. We are all around 60 so won't be doing anything too very adventuresome!!

Like HollDoll - I also need some more info on the waterproof spray. Do I spray my shoes, jeans, tops...everything? Do I only spray if I know it will be raining? Do I do it at home or on the ship?

ARRGH...everytime I think my packing list is done, something else comes up. That is okay though as I would rather be prepared instead of surprised!

BTW - thanks for the info on the shoes! I will definitely be packing something other than my regular sneakers!

don't spray everything..the spray is not cheap. test it on the fabric first, before you spray the whole thing.

i knew it was going to be raining, i had checked the weather report. plus, it was raining for 3 weeks before my trip. the only time it was bad was in ketchikan, there i needed a hood up on my poncho. i do suggest a rain poncho, light weight, easy to pack..shakes off the water. since my trip was in sept (possible colder weather) i took some heavy jeans..not needed earlier in the year. we do have this windbreaker with a sweater-shirt type lining, that i did spray. worked good the water never got through.

just check the weather before you go. it can rain at any time, but if it's not heavy rain listed..don't worry about it. we went just a couple of weeks after unusually heavy rain/flooding.

we took a cheap rain poncho and a really cheap slicker with hood. both fold up flat and fit way down in the luggage. the shoes we sprayed..just in case.

Well, as long as we're on the subject, I'm also torn as to what kind of jacket to take. We're cruising northbound beginning May 23. Being from Wisconsin, I have a nice warm parka with a hood and tons of pockets, which I love. However, I feel like I'll look like Nanook of the North. I also have a shorter jacket with a removable lining, few pockets (pockets being important because I detest carrying a purse). And I have a totally unlined very good waterproof rain jacket (mid calf). What kind of temps should I expect? I'm just crazed thinking about what type of outergear. If anyone has a link for a perfect jacket, I'd love to see it. Thanks. And as a very newcomer to this forum, I must say it's simply a wonderful resource.

you won't need the parka. a jacket with removable lining is good, if it's not too bulky. mostly it's on glacier day that the weather can get cold..the wind off the ice. on your glacier cruising day, there were folks in shorts...anything can happen. just don't over-pack. layers are better then bulky coats.

I bought some Merrell Jungle Mocs a week ago but could not figure out what waterproofing spray I should get. They had several choices...but I left with only the shoes - no spray. If you've had good luck with a specific waterproof spray (especially if used on Merrell mocs), please let me know which one you bought.

Thanks.

the one i used on DH's merrells were from the bass shoes outlet stores.

i am sure that all the sporting good places has it, bass sporting goods - sportsman warehouse, etc. i tried it on the back heel of a worn-out pair he had. he's been wearing merrells for years, i didn't have to worry about ruining a new pair of $$ shoes.

Just by chance I saw them in the mall today... regular $99 on sale for $ 79. Canadian.

Are they very very comfortable? Are they as good for walking all day as new balance , with the added benefit of being water resistant? I guess you really have to spray them to be sure about that.

Do they feel like slippers?

• 2 months later...

I have searched the posts looking for any info on what shoes to bring.

We won't be doing any heavy duty hiking, but we will be walking around, doing a glacier tour (they will be giving us boots there though) and whale watching, etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money, because in FL I won't get much use from a winter type boot, but I would love to get something that I might actually use after the cruise is over! I think I have narrowed it down to either the Merrell Chameleon posted earlier,

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...tId=3917300 1 or the Lands End mocs which I know I would use but I'm not sure are sturdy enough.

Would love some advice?

I have a pair of Ugg boots. Leather uppers, lambskin lined and soles like snow tires! I water-proofed them and spent 3 hours in snow and never felt wet or cold, or even slipped for that matter. They will be my footwear in Alaska 80% of the time.

Archived