Footwear question??

DaisyGirl55

I was also wondering if these shoes are made to wear all day to walk in like you would new balance.

Yes, the Merrells are hiking shoes. (for light hiking, probably not 20+ mile days, you'd want boots with more support for that hearty a walk:p )

I have searched the posts looking for any info on what shoes to bring.

We won't be doing any heavy duty hiking, but we will be walking around, doing a glacier tour (they will be giving us boots there though) and whale watching, etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money, because in FL I won't get much use from a winter type boot, but I would love to get something that I might actually use after the cruise is over! I think I have narrowed it down to either the Merrell Chameleon posted earlier,

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...tId=3917300 1 or the Lands End mocs which I know I would use but I'm not sure are sturdy enough.

Would love some advice?

I live on the Gulf of Mexico a little north of Tampa and have been wearing my Lands End mocs for a couple of months now. Whenever we have days where it's mid-50s and rainy they've proven to be great! Feet remain warm and dry. A major plus is that they can be purchased at Sears! Check them out at Sears and I'm confident you'll feel that they are sturdy enough for Alaska. I think I'll probably live in mine for most of the trip :D

PS - I didn't buy the ones pictured above. Mine are the "all-weather mocs" and are a suede like (if not actual suede) upper and a thick rubber bottom. Just wanted to clarify!

The all weather mocs are the ones I was thinking of, but I didn't realize Sears sold them, too. Thanks for the tip - saves me shipping costs. When the weather is wet and cold here I wear Ugg scuffettes which are meant to be slippers but are awesome and I wear them as shoes. But they are open heeled so they won't do much for me in Alaska. They are the most comfy shoes I've ever had so we'll see how the Lands End mocs compare. I like the idea of being able to try them on before I buy them! For everything else I've needed for this trip its been online shopping all the way.

Are you going to bring sneakers too or just the mocs? I'm thinking two pairs of walking shoes at least, right?

for around the ship. a nice pair of comfy, but dressier shoes..even on NCL it's nice to dress up a little after walking around in jeans all day.

unless you are really planning on hiking or glacier walking, heavy duty shoes/boots are not needed. the biggest problems for most was the puddles! i went in colder weather, otherwise good walking shoes would have been fine. i took a pair of regular tennis shoes to "run" around during the day on the ship or dry days in port.

walking around the different towns, you will have gravel, stones, mud, (maybe) puddles, uneven ground. good, non-skid soles for walking up/down sloping boat ramps, even getting on/off the ship with their metal ramps/stairs.

The all weather mocs are the ones I was thinking of, but I didn't realize Sears sold them, too. Thanks for the tip - saves me shipping costs. When the weather is wet and cold here I wear Ugg scuffettes which are meant to be slippers but are awesome and I wear them as shoes. But they are open heeled so they won't do much for me in Alaska. They are the most comfy shoes I've ever had so we'll see how the Lands End mocs compare. I like the idea of being able to try them on before I buy them! For everything else I've needed for this trip its been online shopping all the way.

Are you going to bring sneakers too or just the mocs? I'm thinking two pairs of walking shoes at least, right?

I think you'll be happy with them. One additional thought on them. I now have 2 pairs (really love them!) and the second pair I bought in a 1/2 size smaller than my normal shoe size as they really do seem to stretch and they stretch really quickly. For the trip to Alaska I'll bring the ones that are my normal size with a pair of orthotics (I have plantar fascitis - pain on the bottom of my foot) and with the way my feet swell when I fly I figure I can use all the extra room I can get :D

And yes, I'll bring a pair of sneaks for the ship and in case it is warm enough for my shorts. Don't want to look like a true tourist with shorts and my mocs :p

Walmart sells Ozark trail water repellant mocs that are made just like the Lands End model, but much cheaper. I sprayed mine with waterproof spray and wore them in Ohio with all the deep snow this winter and they kept my feet warm and dry. The men's were $15.99 and the women $11.99. They came in several colors.

I have problems with my feet, and cheaper shoes aren't worth it to me! I'm not saying I want to spend as much money as possible on shoes, but my priority (ESPECIALLY with walking shoes) is a high-quality well made shoe that will last a long time and give my feet great support.

78314_71?wid=178&hei=178&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.0,0.75,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0These are the shoes I ordered from Sierra Trading Post (Asolo,$78 on sale) They're so comfy!

My husband got the Merrell XCR from Sportsmans Guide (on sale $90)

112104_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg

I'm ok spending the money because I know I'll use the shoes for a lot more than a cruise to Alaska:p

I got these from Lands End and I'm thinking that i may need to spray them with something because the nylon part is water-resistant, not waterproof. They are warm though and I love them. :D

86524_A506_M1_CCR_M.jpg

I got these same shoes in the Land's End section of Sears last week. They were on sale and when I got to the register it was ANOTHER 50% off. Paid $13.00 for them! Can't beat that! By the way, they are very comfortable, but am also thinking of spraying them.

Check out the Merrell Chameleon:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39173001

I'm on my second pair. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned.

Thanks for the Link!! I love Merrell shoes and was in the market for something to take the place of my sneakers that would be waterproof and great to walk in. I just ordered a pair.

:D:):cool:

Archived