How fancy is casual night on first night??

BettyInToronto

I kind of hi-jacked another thread to state my question below and I apoliogize. I figure I should start a new one with the correct title and maybe I will get more answers. Sorry again.

OK I am going to ask what is probably a really dumb question. If the first night is casual and we're just getting on the ship after a 26 hour drive from Toronto...are we expected to dress up fancy casual? I've been told somewhere else on this board that casual on Celebrity (it's our first X cruise) is pants with a short sleeve shirt and shoes, no sandals. My husband & I plan on wearing our Columbia convertible pants because they are comfy to drive in and then taking off the bottom part when we hit the warmer weather in Florida. I have no problems putting the legs back on to meet the "no shorts in the dining room after 6pm" but what if we don't get our luggage before dinner??? We're on the 6:15pm dining. Do I have to carry our shoes, pants and shirt in my carry-on?

I've cruise before and the first night was really a free for all and everything settled in the next day. Can someone please explain how it works on the Centurty?

I kind of hi-jacked another thread to state my question below and I apoliogize. I figure I should start a new one with the correct title and maybe I will get more answers. Sorry again.

OK I am going to ask what is probably a really dumb question. If the first night is casual and we're just getting on the ship after a 26 hour drive from Toronto...are we expected to dress up fancy casual? I've been told somewhere else on this board that casual on Celebrity (it's our first X cruise) is pants with a short sleeve shirt and shoes, no sandals. My husband & I plan on wearing our Columbia convertible pants because they are comfy to drive in and then taking off the bottom part when we hit the warmer weather in Florida. I have no problems putting the legs back on to meet the "no shorts in the dining room after 6pm" but what if we don't get our luggage before dinner??? We're on the 6:15pm dining. Do I have to carry our shoes, pants and shirt in my carry-on?

I've cruise before and the first night was really a free for all and everything settled in the next day. Can someone please explain how it works on the Centurty?

If you do not have your luggage, then it is very simple. Wear what you have. We have only flown and never driven from New Brunswick to catch a cruise, but we know that we want a short-sleeved shirt/blouse/sweater and slacks of some sort and we travel in them. If our luggage does not catch up with us, we wear the sneakers that we travelled in. Don't sweat it too much!:) You will be fine.

Okay, you have just driven 26 hours....don't you want a shower and fresh clothes to put on? Put a change of clothes in your carry on. You are not dragging it around very far (unload from car and up the entrance to the ship where an attendant will probably carry it on to the cabin for you.)

You don't have to get fancy, maybe a nice blouse and skirt or even slacks. And why not sandals? Women even wear them for formal evenings.

Of course if I had just driven 26 hours, I wouldn't have to worry about a dining room. If I could resist the bed for a few minutes, I'd order room service and relax.

Hope you have a great cruise!!

I have come to the conclusion after reading so many fashion posts that my husband and I are deffinitely always on the casual side of every dress code. We do always comply with the code though and would never wear jeans or shorts to the dining room. However, after cruising Celebrity (and other lines) many times I have still never felt underdressed or uncomfortable. The first night I usually wear capris and a casual top with wedge sandals and my husband usually wear khakis and a collared polo shirt. As you said, if your luggage doesn't arrive you have no choice. There is always such a big variation on the way people interpret the dress code that you won't feel out of place whatever you choose.

I always shower and change before dinner and I only fly for 45 minutes:).

I bring a change of clothes for the first night, just in case of a luggage snafu. We also crosspack.

DH wears dress slacks and a Tommy type shirt for casual nights, I wear a skirt or slacks with a nice top and heels.

Ideally, you should wear the same type of casual clothes that you would wear on any of the casual nights. If you are arriving to the ship late than carry on a carry on bag with you that has casual clothes that are the type recommended by Celebrity so that you can change in them should you be wearing something a bit more casual on your drive to the pier.

Keith

Some would say, "It's your vacation and money so dress as you'd like"

However, you chose Celebrity over the other lines for a reason. I'm sure it wasn't that you expected to sit next to someone in the dining room that looked and smelled like they lived in their clothes for the last 26 hours.

I vote for the carry-on clothes, wrinkles and all.

If you do not have your luggage, then it is very simple. Wear what you have. We have only flown and never driven from New Brunswick to catch a cruise, but we know that we want a short-sleeved shirt/blouse/sweater and slacks of some sort and we travel in them. If our luggage does not catch up with us, we wear the sneakers that we travelled in. Don't sweat it too much!:) You will be fine.

P.S. I was not thinking when I wrote the above. We pack at least a change of shirt/blouse and underwear in our carry-on luggage, in order to at least shower and freshen up. It is the slacks and footwear that we will continue to wear if our luggage has not caught up with us. If we were driving, then we would continue in this mode, by still taking carry-on luggage with us at boarding. Hope this helps. :D

P.S. I was not thinking when I wrote the above. In fact, we take carry-on luggage which has a change of shirt/blouse and underwear for first night. We want to freshen up with a shower. It is slacks and footwear that we do not worry about if our luggage has not kept up with us. If we were driving, we would do the same thing and still take carry-on luggage with us. Hope this helps.:D

SLOW SERVER; I THOUGHT THE ORIGINAL WAS LOST. SORRY.

Oh..I guess I should clarify things a bit. We are driving 26 hours but not all at once. :eek: We are driving 12 hours each day (Saturday and Sunday) ending up around Fort Pierce. Then it says it is only a 2 hour drive down to Miami. I'm giving it more time since it will be Monday morning and I don't know when rush hour finishes.

We hope to reach the ship around 11:30am and plan to park right at the port. So based on all of this, I assume we will have our luggage before 5pm and that will give us enough time to shower and change for the early dinner.

Sorry, I guess I should have known this but as a precaution I could put all of our casual dinner clothes in the overnight bag. The comment about the sandals was for my husband. He has semi-dressy dark brown leather sandals that he wants to wear with his Hagger pants but someone on the forum here said "no", that he needs real shoes so I am packing his brown leather shoes. Right now we are packing 6 pairs of shoes in total not counting the running shoes we will be driving in. :)

Archived