Holiday Dress?

joemooch

Our upcoming Nautica SA cruise will cover Christmas and New Years. My DW considers these tuxedo events with corresponding dress on her part. I was hoping to leave the zoot suit behind for once and let the penguins wear the tux. So what is your experience on Oceania all you past holiday cruisers?

I wouldn't worry too much - even the country club casual dress code isn't enforced - sweat shirt/pants was far more prevalent than Jacket/no tie. It seemed to be a shame that few made the effort to be a little more dressy in the evenings, especially as our cruise on Regatta was over Thanksgiving.

I spent the same holidays on the Insignia a couple of years ago. People mostly wore the same clothes -- country club casual -- on the holidays as they did the rest of the cruise. Of course, no one would stop you from wearing a tux, but you'll certainly stand out!

Joe you might try this info on the Oceania site,

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=9f0cac96-a1d7-4495-812d-891d24b5352b

As for SW 18, I thought that you didn't like your Cruise, I believe you said this

" At the end of the day you get what you pay for & at the prices I am prepared to pay I want consistenly excellent service tailored to my needs rather than being expected to fit into the "O" formula. I'm going back to SS & have booked a crossing on the Wind next September.........maybe more £$£$£ but definitely better value for money. If I tire of SS I may well try RSSC or Sea Dream."

So how come if you dislike O so much, you are still posting here.

Barry

I never saw a sweatshirt or sweat pants in any of the dining rooms for any of the meals. Didn't even see very many blue jeans. Dress was casual during the day and a little more dressy for dinner. Kind of like the way we dressed years ago, when we dressed up to fly and/or go to a nice restaurant. I can remember babysitting at various hotels when I was a teen (grew up on Miami Beach) and I had to put on a skirt just to get through the lobby, no pants on women or shorts allowed after 6.

I wouldn't worry too much - even the country club casual dress code isn't enforced - sweat shirt/pants was far more prevalent than Jacket/no tie. It seemed to be a shame that few made the effort to be a little more dressy in the evenings, especially as our cruise on Regatta was over Thanksgiving.

Yikes ... sweat shirts/pants? I hope not. A good part of the reason we are taking our first Oceania cruise in the coming year is as a result of the NCL cruise we took to celebrate our 25th anniversary last year. Diners in the specialty restaurants seemed to think faded jog suits and tattered athletic shoes constituted "country club casual" evening wear.

While we are not stuffy or pretentious (at least I don't think we are), we found it disconcerting to be seated at a lovely and formally set table, adjacent to other diners attired in hooded sweatshirts.

That just tells you what they would like you to wear but not what people

actually wear.

I would take a suit jacket or suit ...leave the tux at home.

On our 1 "O" cruise we never saw sweat suits at meals only on the track or gym.

YIKES! I do hope this is not the new dress code for O.

On NCL I think it is "country casual" NOT "Country Club casual"

I do believe I am becoming a "cruise snob" :eek: :D:D

First Oceania Cruise and first posting on Cruise Critic

To LHT28 : We certainly could not consider you a "Cruise snob" by any means in wanting to see a proper dress code maintained in cruise dining.

Our original enquiries as to the wearing formal attire or not were meant to asses a luggage question. The replies however have prompted us to pack and wear our formal attire for Christmas and New Year and should that make us “stand out”, so be it.

That just tells you what they would like you to wear but not what people

actually wear.

I would take a suit jacket or suit ...leave the tux at home.

On our 1 "O" cruise we never saw sweat suits at meals only on the track or gym.

YIKES! I do hope this is not the new dress code for O.

On NCL I think it is "country casual" NOT "Country Club casual"

I do believe I am becoming a "cruise snob" :eek: :D:D

We have found out that the most you would need is a nice dress or two (one black), and for the men, a sports coat (not from the 70's) or suit coat, shirt with a collar, and pants/slacks with good shoes. Your choice in underwear or not. ha ha

Barry

Our upcoming Nautica SA cruise will cover Christmas and New Years. My DW considers these tuxedo events with corresponding dress on her part. I was hoping to leave the zoot suit behind for once and let the penguins wear the tux. So what is your experience on Oceania all you past holiday cruisers?

I'll be on the Insignia for the Christmas/New Years cruise. I called Oceania and was told there will be no special dress codes for the holidays............country club casual as usual. Some of our female travel companions have elected to bring slightly dressier outfits and the men have conceeded to at least wear jackets........Happy cruisin'

You may want to ask in the "Roll Call" for your cruises to see what others are packing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

Any chance you are on the Jan 12 Sailing FLL/LAX ??? We just booked an "OS" today for our first Oceana cruise...It will be about our 50th cruise and my agent tells me she is getting nothing but positive feed-back re:Oceana....This from an agency owned by the Carlson family!!!....[Regent]...

Any chance you are on the Jan 12 Sailing FLL/LAX ??? We just booked an "OS" today for our first Oceana cruise...

I just noticed you are on the 2008 cruise.

I am sure you will enjoy Oceania.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived