my cruise review

seabourndt

done a review of my recent crossing on voyager from madeira to mianmi. go to member cruise reviews and let me know what youy think. just done another cruise on THOMSON DESTINY from madeira to tenerife on about the same size of ship. a very diffeeent cruise, very basic compared to voyager and the shipwas moving a lot compared to voyager which moved but not as noticeable

dave

Hi, seabourndt.

Just read your review which mirrors your concerns in your posts whilst on the cruise.

Only a short time before your cruise, we were in a suite just below your first, Horizon one, and, apart from a little acceptable vibration noticed in the bathroom, we couldn't have wished for a better cabin. It puzzles me how it could become intolerable, though I suppose cruising the Mediterranean is different than crossing the Atlantic. Perhaps the pod problems were manifesting themselves by then.

Anyway it was an enjoyable review to read, but I am sorry you feel that Regent is not for you again. What line will you go for next time? Silversea seems to be attracting criticism nowadays.

ChatKat,

This cruise was all-inclusive because it was a "President's Cruise". Fleetwide, RSSC does not become all-inclusive until January. We did not notice much difference since we order very few drinks from the bars. The most noticable perk for me was that the complimentary red wine throughout the cruise was a very good Chateaneuf du Pape which is one of my favorite wines.

I'm sure that Seabourndt experienced the vibration that he says he did on deck 8 during the Atlantic crossing. However, I'm puzzled since we were in a Seven Seas Aft suite on deck 6 for the same cruise. There was slightly more vibration than we have felt in these same suites on other cruises (including on the same transatlantic trip in 2004) but the increase was really slight and was not bothersome to us. I guess that the pod problems that are being taken care of during the current dry-dock repairs will solve the problem.

Those Aft Suties have always had some vibration. For most people, it's not an issue but if you are sensitive to it, it can be problematic. Usually recommended to be forward of the laundry rooms to avoid it. If you search the threads here you will see that. A TA who knows the ship well would have warned you about it.

I find the "vibration" postings so interesting. We cruised on the Voyager in August -- my husband was bothered by the vibration -- I was not. We found the strongest vibration on the deck with the swimming pool. Again, if you know in advance that there is a vibration, it makes it easier to live with..

It is my understanding that the "pod problem" on the Voyager has to do with the electrical system. It probably will have no effect on the vibration. People have been posting about this problem for a long time. We are going on the Navigator in March -- she does not have pods but is also known for vibration. Guess it's something that just goes with cruising.

I was also disapointed to read the review and am also curious to know what cruiseline is better than Regent. I am truly not asking this in a sarcastic manner -- since you are a T.A., you would have the best insight into cruising and I would appreciate learning from your experiences.

Thank you!

I cruised onboard Voyager in July 2003. I was in cabin 667 located aft. For me it was a great cruise EXCEPT when it came time to go to bed. Then the vibration made it impossible for me to fall asleep. OTOH, there are people that have been in cabins further aft than mine and report feeling "some" vibration and that it lulled them to sleep. Am I right and they are wrong, or viceversa? Neither. It is a personal reaction. As far as I am concerned I would never cruise in an aft cabin in Voyager, but all people are different.

However, the vibration issue has been there almost from the beginning ( some say it was caused by an accident the ship had a few months after its inagural cruise) It is nothing recent.

Actually, I was on the Mariner when it had it's pod problem in August - caused by an electrical short and there was extreme vibrations until the engines were shut down and serviced.

The Voyager cruise we took in June was one of our best cruises for food, service and ports - complete perfection.

I am not a TA - but I have been on all of the current ships in the last 18 months. For us, Regent is the best option for crusing for now.

Can back you up on that Chatkat, also on June cruise from Monte Carlo. Wonderful cruise and great cruisers! Loved the food and wine emphasis.

Did notice vibrations once or twice when on various decks well aft. Not a problem for us midship though.

Not everyone is as tolerant of movement and vibration at sea, pity the T/A's are not advising as they should.

We enjoy sailing on Voyager and do book Horizon cabins. While our

experiences have varied with regard to vibration---affected I think

by the ship's speed and the ocean conditions----there definitely

is vibration. If this is of concern to you, you need to factor it

into your cabin selection. We are hearty sailors so mal de mer

has not been a problem for us. However, on a segment of the '06

WC the seas were somewhat rough. The vibration made our cabin

creak, squeak and moan...with some items tumbling. As this

continued for a few days, it began to feel annoying or unnerving.

We're all fortunate that we have so many good lines from which to choose.

very interesting reading them all, i did read the posts\about the vibration before i went and wondered if i made the right choice. as to my t/a in the uk they are no good. all they want is your money and give you no info on the ship at all indeed the t/a i used were worse as i fgot an email from regent asking for my onward details as they could not get hold of the t/a. i just could not sleep through it. not usually a problem for me. i was given 948 whick creaked a lot through the rough seas actually it was the only one available and it was from someone who had a problem with the creaking.

another point i send several postcards home fro m the ship which were complimentary but 3 weeks later no one has received any of them!! as to my next company i don't know at the moment. i have just done a very differernt cruiseline this week on THOMSON DESTINY a very rough trip at least on voyager the movement was minimal.

dave

Archived