Chankanaab lately?

HarleyGirl

I was there last week (Nov. 2006)! It's up and running. Beach was great, clean and raked, lounge chairts and umbrellas, tiki huts, snack bars, gift shops, swim float out to swim too and sun yourself etc. Snorkelling WAS fabulous! This is NOT the beach to with a sandy walk into the water. Was low tide when we were there and very rocky, need water shoes for sure. The current was strong and at times was a bit difficult negotiating the stairways into and out of the water.

The waiters are out and about checking on you constantly, chips and salsa were great (as always). They had an extensive beer and drink list. Ran a tab all day.

Snorkelling equipment can be rented there inexpensively.

Tours of the National Preserve are running like every 45 minutes and including in the admission price. Dolphin encounter and swim were open too. They costs extra of course. The beach/snorkeling area was very quiet depsite 6 or 7 ships in port that day.

The price of admission has gone up, I cant remember if I paid $16pp or $18?? Didn't it used to be $12?

Didn't matter it's well worth it! One of my favorite days at port. We got up early, shopped first, then went back to the ship got our beach stuff and were at the park before noon. Cab ride for 2 people was $10

The cab driver tried to talk us into going to a party beach...he had all kinds of brochures for bunches of party beaches right there in his cab!! No thanks, had a private relaxing day at the beach, just what we wanted!

Any questions, let me know.

Jan

Thanks for the info Zukeeper!

I just booked the dolphin swims for us on 12/30. Hubby and 13 yo doing Royal at noon and 6 yo and I doing Encounter at 3:30.

So, given the time between, what do you suggest we do in the park?

I'd do some snorkeling and sunning! Chips/salsa and an adult beverage for the grown ups.... sounds like a vacation to me.

If you don't have your own snorkeling equipment they do have rentals there. I'm not sure on pricing since we have our own. Maybe their website has that info.

I liked the tour they give of the park also. But I like that kind of stuff, not sure a 13 y.o would think it was as fun as I did. Most teens would think it was too much like school, you know "learning" something.

Hope you have a great time there!

Jan

Hi,

We are planning on going while there on the 21st-- just found a deal on a pop up sun tent at Sams club for $9.00--- wondering if I'll be allowed to bring it in the park? Didnt' see anything in the rules on their website, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience before... thanks!

Hi,

We are planning on going while there on the 21st-- just found a deal on a pop up sun tent at Sams club for $9.00--- wondering if I'll be allowed to bring it in the park? Didnt' see anything in the rules on their website, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience before... thanks!

You really don't need one, there are plenty of places to get out of the sun.

Jan

Thanks Jan. I found the snorkel rental info on the website. We'll give it a try. Also, was the whole park open now? In specific, the sandy kids beach for the 6yo?

Thanks Lyn. I found the $2 off coupon too!

Sorry, I left my kids home and wasn't in kid mode so I didn't notice the kid stuff...maybe someone else noticed?

Jan

Jan,

I was just wondering if you noticed if the dolphin swim filled up or do you think we can sign up when we get there. I am scared to reserve it now and be out $200 if for some reason the ship doesn't go there as planned. Thanks

Jan,

I was just wondering if you noticed if the dolphin swim filled up or do you think we can sign up when we get there. I am scared to reserve it now and be out $200 if for some reason the ship doesn't go there as planned. Thanks

There were many people there doing the dolphin thingy, some were doing the actual swimming with the dolphins and some were doing an "encounter" thing. I know there were a few options cause the lady who told me about it had done the swim earlier and then came and hung out on the beach afterwards. I have no idea if they were full or not. It seemed like there was an average number of people, it didn't seem overcrowded, but I don't know if that is because that's the way they intend the tours to be or not.

Won't they reimburse you if you don't get there?

Jan

Did the mosquitos bother you on the nature preserve tour? Did you need bug repellent? Thanks for the great review. We are thinking of spending a day there next month.

We had bug spray but didn't use it, a few bugs on tour. None on the beach and we had food and all sitting out all day.

After a few cocktails, ya probably wouldn't notice anyway, LOL

Jan

Jan,

We tried a few years ago and they were booked months in advance.

Archived