Things to Do in Labadee Haiti and Other Questions By First Timers

MiouMiou

Anyone have any further news on the Labadee Zipline?!?!

Sorry Erin, but everyone's mouth (fingers?) is zipped. :eek: In fact, I have heard zip about this since the post before yours. :rolleyes:

Cuizer2 - Good One! :)

You would think RCI marketing department would be working overtime on this.

(Unless of course, something has gone terribly wrong, and they don't want ANY news to leak out. :rolleyes: )

---------------------------------

So maybe we'll make up our own news about the Labadee Zipline!...

I heard it's 6 miles long, and the cost is only $10.00 U.S.,

and you can go as many times as you want.

They give you free drinks while your zipping along,

and a free movie to take home when your finished.

Cool, eh? :p

Cuizer2 - Good One! :)

You would think RCI marketing department would be working overtime on this.

(Unless of course, something has gone terribly wrong, and they don't want ANY news to leak out. :rolleyes: )

---------------------------------

So maybe we'll make up our own news about the Labadee Zipline!...

I heard it's 6 miles long, and the cost is only $10.00 U.S.,

and you can go as many times as you want.

They give you free drinks while your zipping along,

and a free movie to take home when your finished.

Cool, eh? :p

I was going to say that it was strung between two islands, but I'll go along with yours. I'll be there at the end of June.

Is the private beach excursion a total waste of money? We are active early 30s. I don't like kids. And we were hoping to snorkel in an area that wasn't too densely occupied.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on Labadee.

Is the private beach excursion a total waste of money? We are active early 30s. I don't like kids. And we were hoping to snorkel in an area that wasn't too densely occupied.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on Labadee.

to avoid the crowd--- get off the ship-- turn left and go as far as you can... its peaceful there..not many people at all.

to avoid the crowd--- get off the ship-- turn left and go as far as you can... its peaceful there..not many people at all.

Agreed. Hideaway Beach is the answer. We were there on April 19th and absolutely loved it. We were the first ones at the beach, so we got prime real estate under the large palapa on the left end of the beach, right in front of the water. While the beach filled up behind us as the day went by, there were never too many people in the water. There was some pretty decent snorkeling by the rocks there, too.

But be careful in the water and wear sandals or water shoes, because there are sea urchins! My poor friend Anjie stepped on one and got almost 15 stickers in her foot, mainly in her big toe. Not a pleasant experience. But, on a positive note, the beach attendants were very helpful, as was the medic on site at Labadee that day.

As far as (s)he can? (S)he will end up at the north pole! :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if it is hard to find chairs on the beach? Also, are there plenty of umbrellas or shade from trees? I have to be very careful not to get too much sun. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if it is hard to find chairs on the beach? Also, are there plenty of umbrellas or shade from trees? I have to be very careful not to get too much sun. Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problem at all finding a chair. There are plenty to go aronnd. In fact, as soon as you get to your beach of choice, an attendant will help you either find a chair or will go get one for you. They do expect to be tipped for this service, however.

There is plenty of shade available at Labadee. Especially at Hideaway Beach, there are several large palapas which can provide shade for quite a few beach chairs underneath.

• 1 month later...
if you don't like kids how to do avoid them while on a cruise?

\

we avoid them by going during low peak season. the most kids we had onboard on all but one cruise was 35 kids. last year we had to sail during presidents week and there was over 600 kids onboard. Funny thing was we never seen them

• 3 weeks later...
Showing off ...

IMG_2152.jpg

Actually, this person may have been following directions given by the staff at the top of the ride. Depending on the wind and weight of the person riding(five people at a time), the staff tells you which way to hold your arms and legs......I had to have my legs apart, and not hold the bar except for take off and landing. Some had to hold on the entire trip down.

Also, the cost in mid/late July was $65 PP, and it's only one ride on the short trial run, and one ride down the long zipline. Very short time wise......you travel about 50 MPH part of the way down. It was fun, and I'd do it again, although I think the cost is a little steep.

• 2 months later...
a) is there a weight limit per person on the zip line?

b) does anyone know the cost for waverunners on Labadee?

There is a lower and upper weight limit. I believe the lower is 75 pounds (don't quote me on that). The upper is 250 pounds (you can quote me on that).

The web site is showing that the cost of the Waverunner is $89 ...

SeaTrek Waverunner Experience - Driver

s.gif

Port/City: Labadee, Haiti

Activity Type: Beach and/or Water-Related Activities | Adventure Tours

Approximate Duration: 1 hour(s)

Prices starting from:

*89.00 USD (Adult)

*89.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

Oh, look what I found ...

Dragon's Breath Flight Line

Come test the tradewinds on Labadee's Dragon's Breath Flight Line, the longest flight line in the world over water. Enjoy breathtaking views, as you zip down at speeds of 40-50 mph. Minimum height to participate is 60 inches. Minimum weight 75 lbs, maximum weight 250 lbs. Flight line staff reserve the right to adjust maximum weight for current weather conditions.

a) is there a weight limit per person on the zip line?

b) does anyone know the cost for waverunners on Labadee?

We did the waverunner excursion last year - it was $89 for the driver, or $29 if you just wanted to be a passenger. It was great! They take you close to the ship - it feels like your in a RCL commercial!:rolleyes:

You follow in the wake of the leader - who believe me, doesn't go in a straight line!! They make a couple of stops and give you some info. about the area - during one stop the locals come up to you in kayaks filled with their wares. I remember at one point we were riding right alongside the reef - you could see it through the water very clearly.

The zip line looks great! I heard they were putting one up at dragons breath - next time we're in Labadee we'll have to try it!!

Have a great cruise!

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 2009 new excursions will be offered for cruisers at Labadee and one of them is to visit this Fortress (an hour drive from Labadee):

571772224_0f28245c3c.jpg

The Citadelle Henri Christophe, known as Citadelle Laferrière is a large mountaintop fortress located in northern Haiti, approximately 17 miles south of the city of Cap-Haïtien and five miles uphill from the town of Milot. It is the largest fortress in the Western Hemisphere, and a prime UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was built when Haiti became a free republic at the beginning of the 19th century.[1]

The massive stone structure was built by up to 20,000 workers between 1805 and 1820 as part of a system of fortifications designed to keep the newly-independent nation of Haiti safe from French incursions. The Citadelle Laferrière was built several miles inland, and atop the 3,000 ft. Bonnet a L’Eveque mountain, in order to deter attack and to provide a lookout into numerous nearby valleys. It is possible to view Cap-Haïtien and the adjoining Atlantic Ocean from the roof of the fortress. Anecdotally, it is possible to sight the eastern coast of Cuba, some 90 miles to the west, on clear days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Labadee on the 11/23 Explorer trip. We did the zip line. It's worth every penny. Just do it and forget about the cost. The view from the top and the decent is worth the cost. Not as scary as it looks. You don't go as fast as you might think. Just a lot of fun. The kids did the aqua park, which they loved and the slide, which they loved. The lunch was great. The beaches were very nice. It was a very beautiful place. We did not get to the market to buy any thing, ran out of time after having so much fun. Snorkeling wasn't the best but it was a great place to test you equipment for St.Thomas or some place better. The only problem we had was when everyone on the beach want to go back to the ship at the same time. But they were running 3 tenders and they hold a lot of passengers. Over all they were pretty efficient getting everyone back. The waverunners looked like a blast. We'll try that next time or the snorkeling excursion. Labadee is big, there's a lot of room to spread out. The mountains tower above the beach and it's just a beautiful place. The Haitians working there were very polite and we did tip them a couple of bucks to move our chairs.

Archived