key West Docks

holibobs

Can anyone tell me how do I find out which dock in Key West the Volendam we will be at on the 24th December, as last year we were on the Zaandam and docked on the Outer Mole and had to be transported by the tram which is nowhere near as good as being at Mallory Square. Here's hoping.......:confused:

Can anyone tell me how do I find out which dock in Key West the Volendam we will be at on the 24th December, as last year we were on the Zaandam and docked on the Outer Mole and had to be transported by the tram which is nowhere near as good as being at Mallory Square. Here's hoping.......:confused:

I would go to the HAL boards and ask where the ship normally docks. Ofcourse that can be changed-but normally the ship will dock in the same place.

I do know what you mean though. I have been to Key West three times and on Carnival and Celebrity we docked close enough to walk to everything, where as on Royal caribbean we had to take the bus.

I do think it also has to do with size of ship. When we docked close enough to walk we were on Carnival Tropicale and Celebrity Zenith which are both small ships that only held around a 1000-1200 people.

On Royal Caribbean we were on Sovereign of the Seas, which by today's standards a small ship-but it still held about twice the passengers of the other two ships. (2200)

The lasted time I was in Key West (Not by cruise ship). The Disney ship was at the Mallory Square dock. Thats a pretty good size ship as least in my book. So they can dock at least a 85,000 ton ship at the Malloy Square dock.

And the lasted time I was there by cruise ship it was on the Carnival Fascination and we where at the Navy dock.

According to the following calendar http://www.keywestcity.com/egov/docs/1164999651_943511.htm

you will be at the Outer Mole.

I'm interested in this too ... but the page can't be displayed. How did you get to this site? We are going to be on Crystal and in Key West on December 16th. Thanks! Debbie

Never mind ... I found it. Crystal Serenity is the only one there on the 16th. Pier B. Can't wait to go to the Pirates Museum

After I posted that ... I did some more exploring and finally did find it. I appreciate y'all's help. I've never been to Key West, although I was born and raised in Satellite Beach, FL !!! Go figure. Looking forward to being there. Thanks again.

The "A" represents at anchor; but it has been some time since I have seen a ship anchor and tender at Key West. Since there is no one scheduled at Mallory Sqaure during that tiem I would suspect you would dock there.

Keep in mind folks, that all these docking places in Key West are very close together and you will either walk or be transported by the Conch Tour Train to the same point near the foot of Duval Street.

Have a great visit

Mike:)

Does the "A" on the Key West site mean Mallory Square? We will be on the NCL Pearl on Dec 19. Thanks so much, Brenda

Pier "A" is the Mallory Dock. You will most likely be tied up there. Great news - it is the best location in town to tie up.

As for anchoring, the winter months bring more ships to KW. I've only seen ships anchored in the winter.

We just returned from our cruise yesterday. We docked at he Navy yard. No big deal. The train ride to Mallory Square took maybe ten minutes. The trains run constantly so we never had to wait, plus you get a free narrated tour. Yes docking at Mallory Square is the best, but the Navy yard was really no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wondering this for a while and thought you guys could help. If you are docked at the Navy Yard pier (outer mole?), I know you can't just walk off the ship...you have to take the trolley. We always seem to dock here. What I've been wondering is could you take the trolley into town, walk around and then walk back to the gate at the navy yard? Or do you have come back on the trolley as well?

The reason I am asking is I am an early riser, like to run and would love to get off the ship, take the trolley into town, run around the island and then run back to the ship. I just really don't want to waste time with the trolley to get back to the ship. That way I could get back on ship quicker, take a shower and still have time to do Duvall with friends. TIA for any help!! :)

I have been wondering this for a while and thought you guys could help. If you are docked at the Navy Yard pier (outer mole?), I know you can't just walk off the ship...you have to take the trolley. We always seem to dock here. What I've been wondering is could you take the trolley into town, walk around and then walk back to the gate at the navy yard? Or do you have come back on the trolley as well?

The reason I am asking is I am an early riser, like to run and would love to get off the ship, take the trolley into town, run around the island and then run back to the ship. I just really don't want to waste time with the trolley to get back to the ship. That way I could get back on ship quicker, take a shower and still have time to do Duvall with friends. TIA for any help!! :)

As far as I know you cannot do what you wish. The same reason prevails leaving or reboarding the ship. Ship passengers docked at that pier must use the shuttle service ( I call it a "land tender" ) provided in both directions. It does seem like a pain, though, that you couldn't just run back to the gate. I don't know if personnel guarding that gate would be prepared for a passenger on foot, even if you had boarding passes and ID.

Thanks for the info on Key West, bhopal21. The Elation will be there next week on January 3 and I've been trying to find out what pier we'd be at. The link you posted shows that we'll be at "B" which means that we'll be able to easily meet relatives who will be there that day, without having to worry about taking the conch train.

Archived