Need An Honest Answer

Fit Heart

Greetings,

First let me say how much I've appreciated reading the messages and the advice here. I'm planning a trip on the Zuiderdam on December 4, 2004 for my birthday and my other half's Christmas present. The information I have found on here on the Zuiderdam has been very helpful. I really like the sound of the ship and the Deluxe Verandah Suite was a great value. Now here is a question I'm sure you don't get everyday, but I'm hoping you'll be considerate and honest in your answers. I'm Michael and my other half is also a Michael. We're 45 (I'll be 46 on the trip) and 51, down to earth, nice and normal guys. We're looking for a relaxing time together, but also an opportunity to meet some nice people to share the cruise experience with. We're not in search of other gay couples/friends necessarily, just nice people. We enjoy socializing with human beings, all preferences aside. I guess my question to which I was hoping for an honest answer is, "how do you think we will be received on the Zuiderdam by crew and guests?" I have traveled Royal Caribbean before and it wasn't an issue, and I'm hoping that it would be the same on HAL. To me, diversity is the spice of life, but I'm curious as to anyone's thoughts here on this issue. Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

Kind Regards

What kind of "issue" are you expecting? The Washington D.C. Gay Men's Chorus booked a group cruise on the Ryndam (on which I was on board) and, as far as I could tell, all enjoyed it. We shared a table with a similar couple (different first names, though) at the suite dinner on the Statendam last time, and they also seemed to be enjoying their trip.

I imagine you might run into a few people who get the two of you confused with each other, but you've probably worked out the "same name" difficulties by now.

I can't imagine the crew would treat you any differently. I would hope other pax would treat you just like other passengers, but who knows who else will be on the ship (ANY ship) with you.

A few years ago, my neighbor and I took a cruise together, as our DHs weren't available. I'm sure other passengers didn't know our 'orientation' (and its none of their business anyway), but I didn't didn't notice anyone treating us any different than when I'm with husband.

My best dining table was on that cruise - and it was also the most diverse mix of passengers I've ever had the pleasure of being seated with.

Go, enjoy yourselves. If anyone has a 'issue', it is THEIR problem.

:)

You should not have any problems!

Years ago there was a gay couple seated at our tabel and we got along fine with them. All we talked about was our pre cruise tours that we had done, None of us knew each other so we just exchanged notes and etc.

On our last cruise in May on the Maadam we met a gay couple who attended a wine dinner with us, a few suite parties, and a private party. We all had a great time.

And HAL treated them like any other passenger. We have always found the HAL crew to friendly to everyone.

You both will love HAL.

:)

Rest assured there will be numerous other gay couples onboard and gay crew members as well.

We have sailed the Zuiderdam on a RSVP charter, it is a great ship. You'll have a great time. Enjoy!! :D :D

I'm appreciating the feedback so much. Your comments mean a lot to me. It's not that I would expect an issue on HAL. Quite the opposite, I would expect cruisers to be quite welcoming. I guess I just wanted to hear some thoughts. I'd like this to be a special trip. It will be a first cruise together. Your thoughtul replies are making me more anxious than ever.

Thanks much...

My sense is that cruiseships are a popular form of vacation travel for gays and that HAL is not much different than any of the other lines we have been on.

For what its worth, my kids and younger people seem even more comfortable with this than we were at that age. When I went to pick up my daughter at camp this weekend, one of the girls had made a big sign with a word that is used in Holland to hold back the waters (she made it and put it there . As Carolyn said to me, Erica just wanted everyone to know that she is gay.

Michael - go and have a great time - no one will care. We've been on lots of cruises with gay couples and I can honestly say they were so much nicer to be with than some hetros, who can tend to be crabby and complaining all the time.

By the way, lots of the crew are gay.

Have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

How would anyone know unless you were to wear a sign.

Been on many HAL ships and never knew what orientation, religion, citizenship or political belief anyone held unless they told me...and some did.

My only question was 'are they fun to be around?'

Esme--how would you know "lots of the crew are gay"?

I'm sure that there are some people who would not be too happy, but that's the case no matter where you are. But they'll probably just leave you alone and they'll be in the minority. I was trying to convince my brother and his partner to join us on our next cruise so I posted a similar question on the gay and lesbian board on this site. The overwhelming response was that many gay couples only went on straight cruises and had a great time.

On a seperate note it must drive people crazy when they're speaking to one of you and say Michael, and then both of you answer.:D

I have not been on HAL yet, but on other lines, and my husband and I would be pleased to sit with someone as articulate and kind as you appear in your post. I wouldn't expect a problem at all, and with the exception of the people you are seated with for dinner, if someone does cause a stir, you're not likely to run into them again anyway.

Have a wonderful trip, and speaking as a spouse that was also surprised with the cruise as a gift, your other half willl love it!

Stillfrantic, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm hopeful my future tablemates will be as kind and welcoming as your response. Actually that goes for all of your responses. The responses here are a testimony to the goodness of people, unlike what we are usually exposed to by our media. It's great to hear the positive responses.

Thanks again!!!

I'm real happy to see the response to Michael's post. My husband and I are sailing on HAL on the Zui for the first time (it will be our 14th cruise) and I was ready to cancel after reading some of the snooty and negative posts on other HAL threads.

I think the main thing is that everyone enjoy themselves and have a GREAT time. You'd be welcome at our table anytime, Michael.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Eileen

We just got off the Rotterdam on 10th July--I'd like to let you know that there was a Friends of Dorothy meeting advertised in the daily newspaper--there was even champagne at it and it happened again on the second part of the cruise--that's how welcoming HAL is these days. Have a wonderful cruise.

I'm appreciating the feedback so much. Your comments mean a lot to me. It's not that I would expect an issue on HAL. Quite the opposite, I would expect cruisers to be quite welcoming. I guess I just wanted to hear some thoughts. I'd like this to be a special trip. It will be a first cruise together. Your thoughtul replies are making me more anxious than ever.

Relax, you will both love cruising and I can't imagine anyone will give a crap about your sexual orientation. They'll be too busy trying to have a good time and will welcome the both of you to share in it.

That's the thing I most noticed on my first cruise ... the exceptional friendliness of everyone I met. Conversations starting up with people you only just met. Folks from your table at dinner inviting you to join them at the show or for a drink afterwards. Especially in my case, as someone traveling solo, my whole cruise experience was a revelation. I finally found the ideal environment for the single traveler!

Just be friendly and open to meeting new people and you'll both have a great time.

Blue skies ... and happy cruising ...

--rita

Dear Fit Heart,

Allow me to answer your question by telling a little story. There was a very wonderful gay couple on my cruise to Hawaii in 2002. The younger fellow was, originally, from Hong Kong, while the older one was originally from the UK. They both lived and worked in Canada (Victoria), and were celebrating their 30th year together by making that cruise. While I had noticed them around the ship during the crossing to the islands, it wasn't until we were on a tour in Hilo that I actually had a chance to chat with them. What an interesting and very pleasant couple to be around!

At lunch in the Lido, on the afternoon we began the return trip to San Diego, they both put their trays down across from me and sat down. They had a question, and they felt comfortable enough to ask my opinion. They made it clear that they wanted my pastoral opinion, and as bluntly honest as I felt I needed to be.

"We want to know what people would think if we decided to dance together in the Ocean or Piano Bar. Do you think there would be a problem?"

I chewed some ice and gave that question at least 30 seconds of serious thought. Here are two guys, one in his very early 50s and the other in his late 50s or very early 60s, both on a ship full of people most of whom feel comfortable just "being themselves" in public, and not caring what other people are doing. Yet, sadly, these two men were afraid of what others on board might do or say if they were to openly express the same kind of affection for each other that heterosexual couples felt no fear expressing in public. I couldn't help myself ... I blerted out: "Whatever anyone might think, it's none of their business."

"But what might they do or say?" Kai (the one from Hong Kong) asked.

"Who gives a diddly-[remark and an additional sentence edited out by the author]. If you feel comfortable holding hands, or even dancing with each other, in public, I'd say GO FOR IT."

They did ... the first formal night on the return-trip to San Diego. Three couples were cutting the rug in the Piano Bar, and this sweet gay couple joined them. No one got red-faced and stormed out of the Bar. No one said anything ... nothing, at least, that I could hear. Oh, I'm sure that some were probably offended, and I'm sorry if that was the case, but at least those who might have been offended kept quiet about it and tended to their own affairs. I'm offended by people who don't use deoderant, or who yell at their children in public, but I keep my mouth shut.

I don't care what anyone's opinion is on the "sin" subject ... what was important was that two people, who loved each other and who were celebrating 30 years of a faithful life together, were wanting to be themselves, participate in the social life of the ship, and celebrate without always having to hide it. And they did. And no one was hurt.

Sermon's over. I can't take up an offering ... but, in the true tradition of cruising, tips are always appreciated. :D

Sermon's over. I can't take up an offering ... but, in the true tradition of cruising, tips are always appreciated. :D

How about a hearty AMEN! instead?

Excellent post, Rev!

Blue skies ...

--rita

We just got off the Rotterdam on 10th July--I'd like to let you know that there was a Friends of Dorothy meeting advertised in the daily newspaper--there was even champagne at it and it happened again on the second part of the cruise--that's how welcoming HAL is these days. Have a wonderful cruise.

Forgive my ignorance ... but what is Friends of Dorothy?

Blue skies ...

--rita

:) Rev, wonderful story! By the way....in the few weeks I have been on here, I want to let you know I enjoy your posts very much.

Rita, I believe there are meetings for gay and lesbian cruisers....and that is the title of the group.

And Michael...oops both Michaels....you can join my table anytime:D . Oh...I am sailing in Sept....that would be a problem....you are going in Decemeber!....

Have a great cruise!

Archived