I'm apologizing now...

CVL105

My Uncle is coming on a cruise with my family and I over x-mas. He is as simple of a man as you can get. A bachelor for life, retired in his 30's, refuses to spend money, refuses to buy new clothes, etc. May I add that he is the best uncle you could ask for and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

When I told him that he would have to dress up for dinner (we really want him to eat in the dining room with us) he said he wish he knew that before hand because he wouldn't have agreed to go on the cruise if that was the case. So disappointing. All I want for him is to get a pair of khakis. I'm hoping he will do so, but I can't really pester him anymore.

So for those of you on my upcoming cruise, I'm sorry for the guy walking around the boat in gym shorts, but I tried...some people just don't like to get dressed up I guess.

If he has a pair of slacks and an open collar shirt he will be fine most nights in the dining room. If he has a jacket he can put on formal night he can get by then with a clip on tie.

If he absolutely refuses he can always eat at the buffet. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the cruise.

You might mention that the public rooms on the ship are usually quite cold so he should bring a jacket or at least a sweater.

Shorts and tee shirts in the daytime are the uniform of the day for everyone on a cruise ship.

Yes, I know the dress codes...and i know he can eat in the buffet...but this is a family cruise so we're trying to go without telling him that the buffet is open for dinner! haha we're so sneaky. He's never been on a cruise, so he won't know the difference.

He has a suit for formal nights, so that i'm not worried about, it's the inbetween casual and formal night attire that I'm worried about! :rolleyes:

I see you are on Carnival. I saw plenty of shorts in the dining room at dinner and doubt if he will stand out at all if that is what he chooses to wear.

Enjoy your cruise~

I've never seen shorts in the dining room at dinner time on any of our cruises.

I've never seen shorts in the dining room at dinner time on any of our cruises.

Wish I could say the same:(.

On Glory last May, I saw plenty, even on formal night. Also saw tanks and ballcaps.

I had the same experience, though not to the degree as on Carnival, on my last handfull of RCI cruises. And even on my last X cruise, there were shorts in dining room.

Hi, I have also seen shorts in the dining room for dinner.

I remember when I was on Zenith much earlier this year,

there was a group 2 tables away from us.

I remember distinctly...it just looked out of place to me.

The guys were in shorts, t-shirts and sneakers....it was

informal night~no it didn't ruin my evening but

it looked pretty tackey (in my opinion).

When we were on the Inspiration in January, Ehpride and I were pleased to see that the majority of people dressed up, even for casual nights. I don't recall seeing any shorts or tanks in the dining room at all.

Even if he wore jeans:eek: and a collared shirt, that would be better than shorts. I can't imagine that khaki's would be that much more uncomfortable for him to wear than shorts.

I personally wouldn't care if he wore shorts; imo, he'd be the one to feel uncomfortable, not me.:)

If you happen to know his size, why not buy him a pair of khaki pants for casual night? To me, khaki pants aren't any more dressy than my husbands shorts, they're just longer.

Tell him it's from Santa because Santa wants him to have dinner with his loving family :)

If you happen to know his size, why not buy him a pair of khaki pants for casual night? To me, khaki pants aren't any more dressy than my husbands shorts, they're just longer.

Tell him it's from Santa because Santa wants him to have dinner with his loving family :)

haha good idea...

I hope that he enjoys himself and realizes that dressing up for 1-2 hours a night for 6 nights out of his whole life isn't as bad as he thinks and is totally worth a cruise vacation. He's just a plain sort of guy who loves the outdoors and the simple things in life. can't blame him for that I guess?!

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate the advice/support/etc.

No matter what, we'll have a great time and what wouldn't a formal picture be without one family member being in gym shorts?! :eek: ;) jk

May I add that he is the best uncle you could ask for and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Don't worry about what he wears to dinner. I've had some of the best times at dinner with tablemates who wore jeans (oh the horror!) everynight but formal night.

Personally I don't let what others are wearing affect my cruise.

It is nonsense that you think you need to apoligize. It is your Uncle and you love him and he has his own mind and free will. I don't think you will have less fun just because he does not dress to someone's standards. On everyone of our cruises there has always been men and women that wear shorts and t-shirts to the dining room. I think no less of them as the people I met were VERY nice people and they were to tired to get dressed up, or they just did not want to, or what ever. Put htis out of your mind and just enjoy your family as you would any other time. Don't worry what youthink others may think or feel about you or your Uncle! I really don't think that anyone that keeps their nose out of others businees, or don't care what others wear, or the ones who don't think they can control others really care.

HAve a great cruise! ;)

My Uncle... is as simple of a man as you can get.... May I add that he is the best uncle you could ask for and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

When I told him that he would have to dress up for dinner (we really want him to eat in the dining room with us) he said he wish he knew that before hand because he wouldn't have agreed to go on the cruise if that was the case. So disappointing. All I want for him is to get a pair of khakis. I'm hoping he will do so, but I can't really pester him anymore.

CVL105 ~ First off, have a great cruise with your family... you are going to have a blast and do not worry about your Uncle. Here is my .02 about the whole thing.

1. You cannot change your Uncle... as you said, he does his own thing and does not care what anyone else thinks, but on the other hand is a great Uncle. I would take a dressed down Uncle who cares, over a fancy dressed no-time-for-anyone Uncle.:rolleyes:
  2. Yes, it would be wonderful for him to dress up on the informal and semi-formal nights, but if he already said he won't, don't pester him. You do not want him to resent everyone while on vacation. Like Happyks said, buy him a pair, or pack him a pair of khakis... he might change his mind when he sees everyone else dressing up for dinner.;)
  3. If your uncle does choose to go to dinner in his shorts, he is the one who will look out of place. Not you... that is, if he isn't turned away from the dining room by the Maitre 'D (which is doubtful as they do not do this as much these days) beforehand. Just smile and know that he is being true to himself, as are you.:)

This is your family vacation.... enjoy it:D . Life is too short to worry about these types of things. You can only do your part, so dress up and be proud!:)

Right on Onboard!

My new Motto: What others think of me is none of my business .;)

Well if you are so vain to worry what others think of you, you will drive yourself crazy trying to be someone who you certainly are not! :rolleyes: If you have nothing better to do with your time but to worry about what others think of you, you have WAAAAAY to much time on your hands!

Last, if someone on the ship is going to take the time to notice what others are wearing or are not wearing chances are likely these people are people I don't want to have anything to do with anyway. I don't like to be around others that have nothing better to do other than talk about other people! I guess I am different, I go on vacation with my family to enjoy them, the cruise, the Islands, food, and to meet new people. I don't spend my hard earned money to get on a ship and talk about what others are wearing or not wearing! :rolleyes:

CVL105 ~ First off, have a great cruise with your family... you are going to have a blast and do not worry about your Uncle. Here is my .02 about the whole thing.

1. You cannot change your Uncle... as you said, he does his own thing and does not care what anyone else thinks, but on the other hand is a great Uncle. I would take a dressed down Uncle who cares, over a fancy dressed no-time-for-anyone Uncle.:rolleyes:
  2. Yes, it would be wonderful for him to dress up on the informal and semi-formal nights, but if he already said he won't, don't pester him. You do not want him to resent everyone while on vacation. Like Happyks said, buy him a pair, or pack him a pair of khakis... he might change his mind when he sees everyone else dressing up for dinner.;)
  3. If your uncle does choose to go to dinner in his shorts, he is the one who will look out of place. Not you... that is, if he isn't turned away from the dining room by the Maitre 'D (which is doubtful as they do not do this as much these days) beforehand. Just smile and know that he is being true to himself, as are you.:)

This is your family vacation.... enjoy it:D . Life is too short to worry about these types of things. You can only do your part, so dress up and be proud!:)

Excellent! Very Well said! You are 100% right, enjoy your cruise and cherish the time with your family!

First no need for apologies. I commend you for loving your Uncle enough to want to include him in your family cruise. Regardless of how anyone is dressed, I am sure you will have memories enough to last a lifetime.

Ya know somethin'... if I'm cruising only to worry about what other folks are wearing, especially on casual nights, I'm cruising for the wrong reason!

Luckily, I don't give a flippin' hoot what someone else has on... A cruise is way too much fun (and costly) to waste fretting over someone elses clothing.

Personally... I want to look MY best, but I do whether I'm cruising, working, or just grocery shopping. Everywhere except lounging around home... where it all hangs out!

I'd rather sit next to someone in shorts than next to a perfume-douser or non-bather.:eek:

Enjoy time with your family/uncle.:)

For what it is worth, if he is comfortable that is ALL that matters, people spend alot of time worrying about what other people are doing. Things would be soooo much better if we all just carry on as we are! I say "Viva La Difference"! Have a Great Cruise!!!:)

Archived